Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dangerously high PF

DrLove

Why don't you just tell us what's going on so we don't have to play 20 questions.

Nothing is going on really, just curious. I mean to make major, you only need 165. Just wanted to know do people go over 170? How about over 180 or even 190? That's it :)

well I was thinking 38 super. Just loaded a very flat load at around 183 and wanted to know if this was too high. No pressure signs here either.

Powder, oal, primers, grains, new brass or used, load data?

Barrel length, compensator, ports?

Pics of the brass and primers from different angles would help.

Data dude! We need more data! Ha!

well I was thinking 38 super. Just loaded a very flat load at around 183 and wanted to know if this was too high. No pressure signs here either.

Powder, oal, primers, grains, new brass or used, load data?

Barrel length, compensator, ports?

Pics of the brass and primers from different angles would help.

Data dude! We need more data! Ha!

Well, I didn't think it was that important so I didn't put data. Anyway, it's 38 super like I said, MG115, 11gr of N105, SRP, that's it. No pressure signs that I can see anyway. It really looks fine I was just curious if anyone shoots about 180PF in general.

I don't know if people routinely run 180+ in general but many do run 175+ in Open to get the gas up.

Yeah that i know but this is so flat you really wouldn't feel that much difference to a .22. My only concern was if this would be bad for the gun on the long run that's why I was thinking of lowering just a little. Maybe go to 10.9 or 10.8 gr instead of 11. That would probably put me at 178-179PF.

With N105 you should be fine. That's got to be a pain to load without making a mess. People used to push there guns that high with that powder when the power factor was higher.

oh, it's messy alright :)

Once upon a time the pf for major was 175. Most of us were loaded close to 180 in .38 super to make sure we didn't have issues at the chrono. No way I'd load that hot now though unless that's what it took to make your gun track right. Even then I'd have to load some batches at different PFs and run some Bill drills to see what the timer said.

Some of you kids make me laugh. When PF was 175 of course everybody was above that in the 182 range. I have shot guns (not mine) 200+ and yes that is dangerous. Even more so with the crappy powders we had then. Blue Dot was famous for Super Face.

Don't get into the "flatter" gun but the timer is the final decision for me.

I do miss the older days of real power in DVC and am pretty sure pistol smiths that couldn't make guns run at 175 got the ear of those in charge to lower it to 165. Even Open is a different challenge at 180.