Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Do You Shoot IDPA?

Duane Thomas

In order to stop this from becoming the same old tired "gamesman vs. martial artist" debate, I'm going to make this a vote-only poll, no replies allowed. But I'm really curious. Apologies for appropriating the title of another current thread, but it was reading its title that prompted this poll.

• 10 years later...

I only participate in IDPA at my Gun Club since the fee for club members is only 10 dollars and that is where I started competing a few years ago. To me it is just a game that I try to have fun with.

Edited by himurax13

This has to be some sort of necro thread record for length of time between post #1 and #2.

Why do I shoot IDPA? Two reasons. IDPA is all that the closest club to me shoots and they offer it every other Friday afternoon/night. Sign in wait 1-2 hours till its your turn on the list, shoot 4 stages then pack up and head home. If there was a USPSA match offered at the same time it would be a no brainer and I wouldn't shoot IDPA at all. I have to drive 2 hours to the closest USPSA match because the 4 ranges/clubs in my area only offer IDPA.

• 3 weeks later...

IDPA has the potential to be a good sport, I've shot at a lot of good even great IDPA clubs in the past. While it's a little more specific at a good match with a good club. I feel it has more to do with the club than anything else. It's a slightly different skill set but just about everything transfers over.

• 5 months later...

I shoot IDPA because

1. It is a somewhat different discipline than USPSA,

2. It provides better practice for concealed carry and practical shooting skills..

3. The matches are small and take much less time than local USPA matches ((2.5 to 3 hours vs. 5+ hours).

4, I can have fun and be competitive with my .38 special revolver.

5. In general, there are fewer big egos at IDPA matches.

6. There are often IDPA side matches for rifle and back-up guns.

There are several changes I would like to see in IDPA but that's a different thread.

Chris

Edited by 8ring

I shot idpa and USPSA at roughly the same time. IDPA a little earlier.

I noticed when I was starting to finish top 5 at IDPA here consistently and was consistently 20-40% in USPSA I knew which one I wanted to concentrate on.

I let my IDPA membership lapse after the first year.

• 3 weeks later...