Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, how fast do you really reload?

techj

I always see postings and am amazed over how many hundreds of rounds per hour people pump out of their presses.

Well, I must be a real slow poke as I generally only run 150-200 rounds/hour (pistol) using my LNL with case & bullet feeder.

Why so slow? Well, I include the time it takes to load primer tubes, verify (at least 10 times and then spot check every time I load a new primer tube) charge weights, clean the press (compressed air) every 300 rounds or so, case gauge check every round, dump unused powder back into the container & clean the press & dies and any spilled powder/sweep the floor. I also include in my time the occasional need to pull a bullet or clean the press due to a bad charge or crushed case. So, I don't even include any brass prep time (cleaning, lubing & dumping into case feeder).

Generally speaking I will reload 800-1,000 in a day with breaks for lunch & coffee (I don't include the breaks in my time calculations).

I know I could go a little faster but there is no way that I could do all of the above and hit 500+ rounds/hour.

So...how fast do you really go and if you're really getting 500+ rounds/hour what aren't you including in your average? Or, better yet, how can I go faster?

Edited by techj

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With my 550s I get 350-400 per hour for pistol and about 300 rifle and that includes loading primer tubes, clearing the occasional misfeed, etc, etc. I don't speed but just move along at a moderate pace looking into every case which results in pulling the handle every 4-5 seconds. I'm sure I could hit 450-500 and hour but that's just asking for trouble. I definitely don't want to go any slower though cuz I really don't enjoy reloading especially in a hot Arizona garage.

imho:

* My round per hour count varies based on how much coffee or red bull I have had, this applies to my shootings as well :goof: . . . . .

* My average is still slow 250/hr. to 350/hr tops LNL with no case/bullet feeder . . . .

Edited by SPDGG

Why so slow? Well, I include the time it takes to load primer tubes, verify (at least 10 times and then spot check every time I load a new primer tube) charge weights, clean the press (compressed air) every 300 rounds or so, case gauge check every round, dump unused powder back into the container & clean the press & dies and any spilled powder/sweep the floor. I also include in my time the occasional need to pull a bullet or clean the press due to a bad charge or crushed case. So, I don't even include any brass prep time (cleaning, lubing & dumping into case feeder).

I found your problem. Your are making love to your ammo, and I commend you for taking your time to do that, it is gentleman like, but really if you just want to make ammo, just make ammo.

I clean my press whenever I change calibers so ... maybe a couple of times a year? I almost never gauge check my ammo, I'm pretty sure it won't be bigger then what it takes to fit in the dies (I do check my rifle ammo because I have a tendency to mess up case mouths), I leave powder in the hopper until I chage the type of powder I use, I clean my dies when I change calibers or they look like they need it.

I load about 400rd an hour on a 550 with no case feeder, manually indexed, and I pick up my primers with a tube by hand.

Why so slow? I include the time it takes to load primer tubes, etc etc etc.

I clean my press a couple times a year? I never gauge check my ammo, I leave powder in the hopper until I chage the type of powder I use, I clean my dies when I change calibers or they look like they need it.

+1. I load about 100 rounds every 20 minutes or so on my Dillon Square Deal, checking every piece of brass

as I'm reloading.

I found your problem. Your are making love to your ammo, and I commend you for taking your time to do that, it is gentleman like, but really if you just want to make ammo, just make ammo.

I clean my press whenever I change calibers so ... maybe a couple of times a year? I almost never gauge check my ammo, I'm pretty sure it won't be bigger then what it takes to fit in the dies (I do check my rifle ammo because I have a tendency to mess up case mouths), I leave powder in the hopper until I chage the type of powder I use, I clean my dies when I change calibers or they look like they need it.

I load about 400rd an hour on a 550 with no case feeder, manually indexed, and I pick up my primers with a tube by hand.

It depends on the caliber, but 400-500 an hour with the same set up...9mm goes fast, 40 S&W goes fast, 38 super goes slow...

.40 and .45 ACP goes 500 rounds and hour. 9mm goes 400 rounds an hour. My Wife keep the primer tubes filled, she keeps 10 filled and capped always. I can go faster if she plays case feeder. :roflol:

Edited by bowenbuilt

550b=400rnds per hour

s1050=800rnds per hour

I load primer tubes at the begining of each reloading session, I have 8 small/large tube and usually don't load for more than an hour.

All brass has already been resized/deprimed and wet tumbled (sorted by caliber and head stamp), actually spend more time on case prep then I do reloading.

~g

Vlad,

I think you found my problem :surprise:

I'm just here to help :)

Seriously though, I think you are overdoing the equipment care. By all means, if you feel better doing it, keep doing it, you need to have confidence in your ammo and if that helps then go for it, but I suspect it is more then it is needed.

On my XL650 I average 400-500 rounds an hour. That includes case checking every one. I run them in groups of 100, cause thats what the primer tube holds. Crank out a hundred, case check them, reload primers and start again. I also do 2-3 spot checks during each run of 100. I also have an LED light I made from an LED taillight bulb that gives me plenty of light to look inside each and every case for a visual check.

I reload to relax. I really enjoy it. If I feel like I am rushing, I stop and come back later.

I know some people laugh that I case check everything and look into each case, but I have never had a jam or a squib. Hopefully that continues. Reloading is pretty serious to me, I think its worth the time and effort to take a few extra seconds to be safe.

I gotta agree with Vlad here -- if you're going to be fastidious about your ammo, don't be disappointed if you aren't setting speed records.

I don't count loading primer tubes or case gauging, but I've comfortably hit 300 rph on my L&L, and that was before I got my new case feeder. I check 3-5 powder drops per 100. I expect the case feeder to increase that by 25% at least -- I got pretty good at setting the case and bullet in one motion...

Never really timed myself,don't make no difference no how,I don't have a job so if I don't load today I'll do it tomorrow or the next day...

Or next week when I take my vacation ..

Really I never try to get in a hurry !

I always see postings and am amazed over how many hundreds of rounds per hour people pump out of their presses.

Well, I must be a real slow poke as I generally only run 150-200 rounds/hour (pistol) using my LNL with case & bullet feeder.

So...how fast do you really go and if you're really getting 500+ rounds/hour what aren't you including in your average? Or, better yet, how can I go faster?

I'm with Vlad on this one - let the OCD relax a bit, IMO. ;)

I load 500+ an hour on my LnL AP, no bullet feeder. I could go faster, but - it's not a race.

Clean press = buy a 6 pack of compressed air when you see it on sale, good for 'a fairly long time.' Spray off any powder flakes at start of new loading session. Done, except for every 6 months or so, re-grease, and dry lube primer shuttle, clean dies, etc. If you're really spilling significant powder loading that slowly, I'd check your press timing (not to mention blast of air = 2-5 seconds, not exactly significant).

Load multiple tubes at start of your session, and start with a 2/3rds or fuller powder measure.

Unless the powder you're using is really poorly metering, or your PM isn't cleaned properly, measure at start of session:

• Throw a few charges and dump them back into hopper to 'settle' powder.
  • Throw 10 charges in a row, measure, dump into hopper, adjust weight / 10. I like the micrometer inserts to get you in the ballpark (although truly dislike their markings, as it's marked 0-4 vs 0-9 on the handle), and keep a cheat sheet for values for each powder you use. You could also buy some extra inserts, and mark them for each powder/charge weight you use frequently.
  • After PM adjustment, start loading. Pull one random charge if you must and weigh it, then dump charge back into case, to avoid clearing shell plate. Do it on the last of your primers, if desired.
  • Adjust OAL with close to a full shell plate. I leave out the powder charge station, so I can drop the bullet to clear the die, leave the press in that position (don't half cycle it), remove and measure OAL, adjust, push back into die, lower slightly until good, then...keep loading.
  • If loading jacketed or thick plated, use a Lee FCD and don't worry so much on gaging, although you do want to adjust the die properly. I use the FCD on most coated rounds, as well, w/out issue (but w/out over-crimping) - might not work if you're shooting .357" bullets, but fine to date on .356" lead and coated.

I absolutely do not gage each round. I used to, but realistically, your dies aren't magically opening up significantly, and unless you're changing bullets all the time, you shouldn't be making many die adjustments once set, LnL via lock rings + LnL bushings, Dillons via lock rings + tool heads. If you feel you must gage each round, then spend some $$$ on one of those 100rd gage plates. I gage a sampling, first few off the press, then randomly as they come off the press. YMMV as always.

You guys are way more dedicated than me. I am lucky if I get 200 rounds in an hour on my 650. I am not a fan of reloading so I mix it with dry firing so I don't wander off. I'll dry fire for a bit and then load some primer tubes. Dry fire more and then load 100. Repeat.

Nah man, you learn to reload faster because you don't like reloading. Why spend more time then you need to doing something that needs doing but you don't really want to do?

fwiw:

I used canned air in the past, but it gets expensive Quick!

I found an extra Giottos LRG Rocket Blower from my old photography gear & its Perfect!

- The design lets it stand without rolling off the bench.

My record for production is loading 1000 rounds (including loading primer tubes), a load of dishes, a load and a half of laundry (including folding and putting away the full load), starting dinner cooking and feeding the kid in just under 52 minutes.