Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, how fast do you really reload?

techj

I recently sold my 550 to a coworker and went to 650 with case feeder. All I load is 9mm for IDPA practice/matches. I incorporated techniques that my friends use. I don't ever load a lot of rounds at a sitting but break it into batches of 200. First I make sure I have several primer pickup tubes loaded and ready to go. Second, after I've tumbled my brass, I load 200 cases into ziplock sandwich bags (a full red Solo cup will hold 200 9mm cases). When I'm ready to load, I'll dump a bag into the case feeder. I can do 200 in about 15-18 minutes. If I want to load more, I just dump in another bag.

Obviously, this is pure reloading and does not take into account pre work (case tumbling, filling primer pickup tubes) or post work (case checking). I do case gauge every round but use a Shockbottle case gauge. If you aren't familiar, this is an aluminum tray that will hold 100 rounds. Just fill it up and bulged cases and primer problems are quick and easy to check. The Shockbottle aligns with most storage boxes so merely align them up and dump them into the box. Want the bullets facing down? Align another box and flip it over. Only downside is the Shockbottle is $100. Great time saver.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... just don't have that kind of time, especially after being anal and sorting/cleaning my brass.

~g

There are machines for that too.

I wasn't aware of machine that sorted by head stamp :surprise:, even if one exists... I doubt it would fit in my budget, for cleaning I use a large Dillion, and then wet tumble in a Frankford Arsenal.

~g

Wow, a lot of blazingly fast reloaders here.

I run an LNL w/case feeder and bullet feeder. When all is is going perfect, 2sec/rd is no problem - but...

Sometimes the primer hole is blocked or the spent primer leaves its rim in the case or a new primer did not feed or the cases take a little longer to orient into the feeder plate.

I've saved myself several primer ejector pins just by going slower and feeling the resistance in the handle, same for primer seating. 9mm in particular is prone to have a stray NATO

case in the mix - that one will stop the clock for sure.

When all is taken into account, my speed drops to about 5sec/round with the primer tubes already loaded.

I am sure that closer sorting of brass will reduce stoppages but then you spend a ton of time sorting.

I know the LNL is feature for feature comparible with the Dillon presses, but I can't help but notice that LNL users are ending with lower production rates.

I know the LNL is feature for feature comparible with the Dillon presses, but I can't help but notice that LNL users are ending with lower production rates.

I would presume that to be correct although I have never timed myself with each machine. I load on my friends 650 and my LNL AP, we use each other's presses depending on what they are setup for (large primer vs small primer, 9 vs 45). I feel like the 650 runs smoother and faster. I don't like the half clicks that the LNL is known for.

Edited by Butterpuc

Guess I'm slow as well as Im pretty anal while reloading. I load around 300 rounds per hour on my 1050. No bullet feeder though BUT I'm debating on whether or not to purchase one.

Functionally, the 650 and the LNL are the same - ram goes up, down, index. Pull the handle and one operation is completed.

The differences may be purely in taking prep. into the calculation.

Only way to tell is to have an identical task list for each press - case prep, sorting, primer loading, etc.etc.

If all factors are the same, the rates will likely be almost the same as well.

I saved hundreds in buying my ammo plant USED. That was the most productive application of funds for me.

Guess I'm slow as well as Im pretty anal while reloading. I load around 300 rounds per hour on my 1050. No bullet feeder though BUT I'm debating on whether or not to purchase one.

Not slow, super slow. I can easily do 400rnds on my 550b and thats with manual case insertion/index.

Even without the case feeder that seems extremely slow.

~g

Didn't read the first post, but my best reload @ 7yards with an open gun is 0.83 seconds.

Currently, my Production reloads are in the 1.2s range. Weak sauce.

Oh dang were talking about ammunition reloading... I don't case gauge. If I don't box up my ammo, I can load 800/hr on my 650. It takes me almost as long to box it as it does to load it.

Didn't read the first post, but my best reload @ 7yards with an open gun is 0.83 seconds.

Currently, my Production reloads are in the 1.2s range. Weak sauce.

Oh dang were talking about ammunition reloading... I don't case gauge. If I don't box up my ammo, I can load 800/hr on my 650. It takes me almost as long to box it as it does to load it.

OK, I'll bite;

Pull Handle down and back up - 2sec[sustainable speed and does not bounce the shells]

Holding bunch of bullets in one hand, you still have to pick up a shell with the other hand which was just pulling the handle. Insert shell, insert bullet - 2sec

Total thus far is 4 sec = 900/hr [No primer filling, No spot checks, no bad primer inserts, no filling powder into the dispenser, no shell sorting.

Best of all, you spend 60 minutes performing all those steps without any interruption or mistakes .

Edited by AlphaSeeker

Place bullet, pull handle. 3secs per bullet.

Case allows right hand to stay on the handle. I pay someone to process my brass. Vibrapime takes 30 seconds to fill a tube with 100 primers. Bullet tray holds a lot of bullets. Only need to fill it 3 times or so, same with casefeeder.

Lee Classic Cast Turret - 175 per hour

I've hit 200 but I felt quite rushed.

Looking to get a Dillon 550 or 650 later this year. I think the 550 will be okay, I shoot around 800-1000 rds a month in 9mm. However part of me is like go big or go home. I plan on a reloading binge this winter so I don't have to reload as much during the year.

I'm not seeing any mention of inspecting brass for splits or bulges from most responses, are you skipping this step? If not, shouldn't you include this step in your time?

Personally, I'm rethinking my procedure. I'm considering doing the brass inspection just before I place it in the 550, that way I only handle the brass once. This will slow down the production rate while at the press, but cut out an entire step sorting through cleaned brass.

I generally reload around 400 to 450 per hour of 38 Supper on my XL 650 with an RF 100 primer loader running in the background. This is an easy cruise speed for me. When you add in the time for case prep, loading primers into the RF 100 and boxing up the completed rounds it is probably more like 300 rounds per hour.

I don't like to rush this activity because I am more interested in quality than quantity. I listen to my iPod while reloading so I'm in no hurry.

I'm not seeing any mention of inspecting brass for splits or bulges from most responses, are you skipping this step? If not, shouldn't you include this step in your time?

Personally, I'm rethinking my procedure. I'm considering doing the brass inspection just before I place it in the 550, that way I only handle the brass once. This will slow down the production rate while at the press, but cut out an entire step sorting through cleaned brass.

I handle my brass a couple of times before it goes in the big dog s1050. First it's cleaned (dry), then sorted by head stamp, once its sorted it then gets resized/deprimed. Its then wet tumbled, and ran in the s1050, once completed each round gets case gauged/final inspection. Very rarely do I have a bad round as output, and most of the bad brass is caught before it goes into press.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

I just got my new 650 set up and it's awesome! I was loading on my buddies 550 to the tune of 120-150/hr; last night with everything ready to do I loaded 100 rounds in six minutes!!! (9 major with 8.5gr of HS6 and only spilled a few flakes). All told from setup to cleanup including three cases dropped in upside down I loaded three hundred rounds in 45 minutes.

I'm lovin' it :D

IMG_20140614_011553251_HDR_zpsa82fk9ye.j

SDB, the only press I've ever loaded on. 12 preloaded primer tubes (which usually takes me 15 minutes or so to load, mebbe 10 if I use the VibraPrime with the primer brands that feed well through it.

Major match ammo, where I seat the primer, rotate the case without advancing and reseat to ensure a good deep seating - 300 rounds an hour.

Practice and club match ammo, where I skip the step above - 500 rounds an hour.

I've gone as fast as 600 an hour, but it was just to see if I could do it, and it was not worth the effort.

I will load until I run out of primers or until my concentration flags - an hour to an hour and a half.

• 3 weeks later...

Nah man, you learn to reload faster because you don't like reloading. Why spend more time then you need to doing something that needs doing but you don't really want to do?

You need to read "Catch 22" by Joseph Heller. By the way, the movie really sucked.

I use my Lee Classic turret for .380 and .223, the 550 is used for .38/.357, .45 and 9mm. I don't try to rush on either press. Being retired, I treat reloading as my therapy. I load to shoot and shoot to load. Not at all interested in how many rounds per hour or minute. I just want a quality product, one that is safe and reliable.