Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, how fast do you really reload?

techj

My record for production is loading 1000 rounds (including loading primer tubes), a load of dishes, a load and a half of laundry (including folding and putting away the full load), starting dinner cooking and feeding the kid in just under 52 minutes.

Was this on a dare? Was this a challange that ended up with sex if you won? What?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your post got me thinking. I have always just estimated my finished round output. I have typically run 500-600 rounds in about 40-45 minutes. Today I thought I will just throw a stopwatch on and really test it. I loaded 10 primer tubes, clean and lubed brass at the ready. I topped off the powder and filled the case feeder on my 650. I have a case feeder but no bullet feeder. I visually check each case to insure the powder drop looks ok. Normally I randomly weigh my drops but for this test I wanted to see how long it took to load 1k rounds. My pace was steady and not really pushing it. First 100 rounds in 4min 50sec. All 1k 58min 10sec. If I was going for an all out speed run I am confident I could squeeze out another couple of hundred rounds.

I get about 250 in a1/2 hour, with my manual indexing 550. I usually listen to podcast. One thing I can say I don't have many if any FTF's or other bullet related issues. I know I can load lots faster but no need at this time.

Edited because it's not an hour it's in a 1/2 hour. Duh

Edited by a matt

I am a pretty slow reloader myself, there isn't any reason to load so fast you lose track of what is going on. I keep all my primer tubes topped off and brass polished sitting on the bench. So when I sit down I can easily load 800-900 rounds in a little more than 1hr and 30min... So that's around 500-600 rounds per hour. Again that doesn't include loading primer tubes, polishing brass, or quality checking the bullets. I will do that stuff at another time, like when I'm watching a tv show on my computer, sitting at my desk.

I get about 250 in a1/2 hour, with my manual indexing 550. I usually listen to podcast. One thing I can say I don't have many if any FTF's or other bullet related issues. I know I can load lots faster but no need at this time.

Edited because it's not an hour it's in a 1/2 hour. Duh

Is your shooting speed directly related to your reloading speed? LOL or LMAO

I generally only load 300rds at a time and it takes 30 min to do it. But that includes checking and putting brass in the case feeder, loading primer tubes, and cleaning up. If I happen to be loading on the weekend I may crank out 900, but generally I load later at night.

Dillon 650 with case feeder.

Edited by L3324temp

My record for production is loading 1000 rounds (including loading primer tubes), a load of dishes, a load and a half of laundry (including folding and putting away the full load), starting dinner cooking and feeding the kid in just under 52 minutes.

Was this on a dare? Was this a challange that ended up with sex if you won? What?

Just almost an hour out of my life.

I have always tinkered with things to make them better, usually, spending more time on things than they would wind up saving. When the things that need to be done outnumber the time you have to get them done, it was time worth spending, back when I had the extra time.

Edited by jmorris

I limit my reloading session to an hour or so, and do my monthly 9mm over the course of two nights, maybe three.

Not trying to set any speed record, I feel comfortable at 800rph on the s1050, this does include an occasional powder check, case guage, and measurement to ensure everything is still within acceptable tolerances. I probably QC a few rounds every 100 rounds or so, generally when I stop to load more primers.

~g

After reading this thread, now I'm convinced I need a upgrade from the old rock chucker...hopefully if I can find a Dillon 550, I'll get some more shooting time instead of the never ending loading time...

And if anyone has a 550 they need to get rid of, please pm me.

I have 10 primer feed tubes that I try to keep loaded. I can crank out about 100 rounds in about 10 mins on a 650. That is also at a leisurely pace - not trying to break records. So I average 500-600 rounds an hour. 500 'cause I'm not there cranking for an hour straight. I will case check ALL my rounds while watching TV (multi-tasking).

On my Square-D, it was 100 rounds in about 15 mins. 400 rounds per hour.

Edited by racerba

Where do i get a washer and dryer that will allow me to do a load and a half, including folding in less than an hour??? My washer alone takes 35 mins to do a load...dryer, another hour...

i'm waiting for video of jmorris' computer-controlled hydraulically-driven automated kid-feeder :goof:

I don't mind cleaning up brass, loading primer tubes, prepping the press, actually loading the ammo, cleaning the press or even drop checking the finished rounds... All of this goes pretty fast, maybe 300 rounds per hour (XL650) including all prep and drop check.

The part I hate is marking match ammo. Yes I have a Mr. Shooters brass marker but still cringe when I have to mark my match ammo. I have three USPSA and Steel shooters to load for (myself and two sons) so it's not financially feasible to let my brass lay on the ground. There's got to be a better way.

I timed myself with my loadmaster and 450 was the best, 350 more realitic.
Got a 650 w/ case feeder and 5 primer tubes and it takes just over 2 minutes to load a tube..if I try to do it quickly, 3min if I don't hustle.

I've been going slower with 9 than 38, but w/ 38 I was doing 100 about 8 minutes including primer tube filling..so ~ 5 min per 100. And that's not hurrying. To get a REAL 650-750 an hour is a piece of cake.

With 9mm it's closer to 9 min per 100 incl tube filling. I'm hoping to speed that up .. been tossing powder, having the odd upside down case in the feeder, the feeder stop switch catches on the feeder tube, ejection of finished round issues...

Not sure I can do anything about the inverted cases, but the other issues I think are now sorted out. Next week I'll give a go and see what I get. I have ~1800 rounds to load.

I can saw that my setup ran me $1100 ish (2 calibers but I had dies) compared to $250 for a loadmaster..but I've only had 3 primer issues out of 1200ish rounds I've loaded. The LM would have 3+ per 100. Two of the issues on the 650 were missing primers and one was a high primer keeping the round from going into battery.

I do save the time I used to spend inspecting each and every round though!