Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, how fast do you really reload?

techj

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reloading 40 s&w today on my 550 and thought of this thread. I decided to see how fast I could load 100 rounds so I hit the stop watch on my iphone and it took 7 minutes and 59 seconds. That's 12.5 rounds a minute or 750 rounds an hour if I didn't have to stop for component refreshing.

I know the LNL is feature for feature comparible with the Dillon presses, but I can't help but notice that LNL users are ending with lower production rates.

I really liked the LNL AP but was having to stop every 200 rounds or so to address something (case not feeding, primer upside down, etc.) which completely broke my rhythm.

After six months of this I switched to the Dillon 650 I'm able to reload 1000 rounds with minimal interruption. I keep the first pin out in case I have to check a primer but as a whole very little is needed aside from placing the bullet and pulling the handle.

Reloading for me is a necessary chore to enable me to shoot more. Switching to the Dillon was the right move for me. It just works.

With an XL650, case and mr. bullet feeder, doing all the ancillary tasks except chamber checking I load about 800/hr.

I used to have a LNL, but the case feeder is poorly designed in comparison to the 650 and I had more difficulty getting primers to fully seat for some reason so I never really achieved good production numbers since I was always fiddling with something. I ended up returning the case feeder and selling the LNL eventually. Very glad I did, the 650 is a joy to load with in comparison. Many fewer minor issues throughout a loading session.

I just loaded 740 rounds of 9MAJOR for the Michigan match this weekend. Using a 650 it took me 2 1/2 hours to load primer tubes, lube cases, keep the case and bullet feeders full, keep primers full, EAT DINNER, tumble for final lube removal, gauge and put in Dillon boxes.