Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Accu Shadow Initial Review & Light Strikes

AirForce2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my reloading items in and tried to reload some Mon Gld 124 JHP's today w/titegroup powder. I've seen that many CZ's may have to load short for hollow points and esp MG's HP, but when I loaded a proper finished bullet at 1.100 OAL, the bullets hit the rifling and slide won't close. I said not prob, and loaded 15 finished rounds (minus primers & powder) at 1.055, 1.070, 1.080, and 1.090 and it seems on my gun the MG 124 hp needs to be 1.085 or less to ensure bullet ogive is not jamming into the rifling/throat.

What I don't like is all of these bullets seemed to hand cycle at med/med fast rate much rougher than RN loads (slightly inherent) and several jammed half way into the chamber which is not what I'd expected. It's not much better with shorter MG hp bullets OAL down to 1.055 either. The roundnose stuff was hand cycle and range use very well and this was the first w/hp's. I even did a fairly drastic feed ramp polish and decent extractor polish/contour and only helped a little. It seems to me the HP's need to be a longer OAL at 1.100 or longer to feed smoothly, but I have no way to prove it right now since any OAL longer tha 1.095 or so is too long to run more than one rd at a time from a mag. I plan to have it sent back after Noveske multigun and get the throat only extended a little. And, yes I did check crimps and thats not the issue. Most factory RN stuff is 1.140 to 1.150 OAL and cycles smooth. The chamber seems to be proper depth. I only shot about 15 of the MG's and I may shoot the MG RN for the match since I don't want to risk the HP's for now. I know some say it doesn't matter how they hand cycle, but do they shoot at the range, but I'm a firm believer that a smooth hand cycling pistol cycles smoother & more reliable at eye blink speed and esp if not a 2 hand firm hold ie..strong/weak hand. I think I'll be good once I get the throat extended a little.

I did run some CFE powder and here are some appx's:

CFE pistol powder,

3.7 gr-124 MG JHP, OAL 1.070, 900 fps

4.1 gr-124 mg jhp, oal 1.070, 1000-1020 (I think, have to look at #'s wrote at home)

4.5 gr, 115 gr berry's RN, OAL 1.130, 1200 fps

This was a quick check and will do a more detailed load/speed report w/#'s and avg's soon w/CFE.

CFE seems to shoot well, recoil ok & accuracy at 25 yds was baseball size for berry & MG, cfe does have more of a charcoal black soot/snot vs the gray powder dryish residue that I'm used to. My guess is around 4.5-5.0 gr will make 130-135 pf.

post-23762-0-66763300-1408515226_thumb.j

In my Accu Shadow ran MG 124 jhps at 1.080-1.100 with no problems. I did get a reamer and reamed the throat of my Accu Shadow, CZ85C, Pro-Tek II, Rami, Son's SP01 Shadow, Rami & CZ75 Shadow T. They were all reamed to the same depth, about +.040-.050. We can now load MG 124 jhps to 1.145 if we want. We usually load to an OAL of 1.120. I tested my Accu Shadow on a Ransom rest for accuracy before and after the barrel was reamed. I found no difference in group size.

photo-2.jpg

The load was....10 rounds MG 124 JHP 4.4gn of N330 OAL 1.100 AV 1029 ES 20 SD 7 1" group. Target at 45' from the bench + 8'-10' to the ransom rest that is mounted to a 400-500 lb steel pedestal bolted to the concrete floor behind the bench.

Sadly I don't think they import N330 any more.

True, but it looks like the blue is not for Shadows

Also here is a direct link for the blue grips for the Shadows http://dlaskarms.com/collections/cz-custom-and-accessories/products/cz-75-75b-85-low-profile-grips-standard-size-aluminum-blue

Thanks for the link. I've been looking for blue in stock, and this appears to be just the ticket!

I use the "lemon grater" grips from CZC on my Shadow and they are as thick as the thick AL grips but obviously much more checkered! hahaha. I also like the G10 grips with the aggressive checkering.

In my Accu Shadow ran MG 124 jhps at 1.080-1.100 with no problems. I did get a reamer and reamed the throat of my Accu Shadow, CZ85C, Pro-Tek II, Rami, Son's SP01 Shadow, Rami & CZ75 Shadow T. They were all reamed to the same depth, about +.040-.050. We can now load MG 124 jhps to 1.145 if we want. We usually load to an OAL of 1.120. I tested my Accu Shadow on a Ransom rest for accuracy before and after the barrel was reamed. I found no difference in group size.

photo-2.jpg

Tks for the info. I have had a hard time finding someone around here with just a "throat reamer". Am I correct that there are throat reamers and chamber reamers and neither seems very cheap to come buy, esp for just one type of gun/barrell I own. Why do you think CZ type guns are so short compared to other manf? I realize there can be some accuracy gains by having rifling closer vs farther from the projectile, but is that why CZ's seem short throated?

I was able to test my loads better yesterday and I've been out of the reloading for any serious pistol stuff since 2000. I'm still pretty meticulous and use a newly setup Dillon RL550, Lee dies, mixed range brass, win wsp, lee tipsy scale

3 bullets: MG 124 JHP, MG 124 RN/CMJ, Berry's 115 gr RN

2 Powders: Hodgdon CFE pistol and Hodgdon Titegroup

I won't waste your time with all the details of each.

Accuracy:

-Surprisingly, the MG 124 CMJ seemed to print closer to a 2 inch group at 25 yds that the MG JHP 3 inch grp with either CFE or Titegroup. The CFE load with MG 124 CMJ seemed to be the best accurate load for me but only by a little over the Titegrp. Both loads were running 1020 to 1050 fps with the shorter OAL JHP's running more at 1050 fps and longe OAL CMJ's running closer to 1020 fps. Both MG bullets had same charge of Titegrp powder (3.8 gr) and CFE powder (4.6 gr). The CFE at 4.6 gr (1020 fps avg) needs to be bumped up .1 or .2 gr to get a solid match PF above 130. I likely should sort, use the same brass brand, length could have made the test a little better since the FPS spread out of 5 rounds seemed to be a 40 fps spread with some rounds withing 5-20 fps which is tolerable, but always one or 2 that make the speed spread 20-40 fps and I'm sure 40 fps or more can string the grouping.

-Berry's 115 loads at 1150 fps seemed to print at 25 yds satisfactory for a coated bullet, still around 3 inch grp and only a hair worse than the MG's. I just can't make myself pay the same money for Berry's locally as I could get MG in bulk for the same price.

The MG JHP's seemed to cycle fine at the range at 1.075 OAL, but since the MG CMJ's print just as good, I'll go with RN reliability for now until I can get the throat reamed.

Your accuracy might improve some if you would sort the brass by brand, I don't think any one brand is any better than another but they are all somewhat different as to capacity, case wall thickness, hardness and probably other things also.

Your accuracy might improve some if you would sort the brass by brand, I don't think any one brand is any better than another but they are all somewhat different as to capacity, case wall thickness, hardness and probably other things also.

That sounds like too much work for me! Not sure what the OP shoots but for USPSA/action shooting sports the accuracy you might gain from hand sorting would not be a good investment IMO

You can get a throat reamer for about $70.00. Call your local gun smiths in your area, most will charge about $50.00 to ream the throat on your barrel . CZ makes the throat short because it was designed for the European market and the only type of ammo they are allowed to use is round nose.... so no need to make the throat any longer.

You can get a throat reamer for about $70.00. Call your local gun smiths in your area, most will charge about $50.00 to ream the throat on your barrel . CZ makes the throat short because it was designed for the European market and the only type of ammo they are allowed to use is round nose.... so no need to make the throat any longer.

Thanks, nice to know it was done for some intent. I mainly bought the CZ Accu for USPSA Production pistol class, but gonna use it in some multigun stuff to. It seems it's a good fit for uspsa multigun in limited & tactical if your shooting minor.

Silly question for you guys that have shot limited/tactical multigun uspsa. Do some shoot a limited division in multigun and have the pistol in .40 scoring major for B & C zone hits and yet shoot .223 rifle as minor hits for B & C zone, and is that allowed? I was under impression like in pistol only limited division match you have to claim/enter as either major or minor but with multigun can you mix and match your minor or major for both guns as a scoring advatage ie...shoot a .40 major pistol and a minor .223 AR rifle. I guess my thought was you shoot all guns major or all guns minor.

Edited by AirForce2

• 7 months later...

In case you are looking for skinnier front sight for the Accu Shadow, I've called Dawson Precision a few times and while they claim they need a slide so they can come up with some rear & front sight options and don't have one for the accu at this time. I did order a skinnier front sight from dawson and it slides in from the front and is fairly tight and should be held in the same as the cz one. I don't have the paperwork to reference since I ordered it over the phone but believe is was the .240 or .260 tall and .090 wide one and I think the PN is 019-129. Double check your conversions and call them, but I was shocked it fit so well. Now if I could only find a way to close up the rear sight width, I'd be happy. The thin front sight is great & still has a fiber optic but with the large rear blade opening, it's easy to think your on target when going fast and be off more than you thought. I've found no options out there to replace the hajo rear with a suitable adjustable rear sight option with a smaller blade opening.

Even after swapping out to a 15 pd hammer spring (CGW I think) vs 13 pd factory spg which seemed to work for a while and now started having issues with tula primers again. Are Tula primers that much harder than CCI? I don't shoot that much Tula ammo and these are Tula factory loaded not my reloads using just tula primers.

You guys are running purebread racehorses and trying to feed them McDonalds. Tula is cheap sure but get some food for that gun that's gonna work with it!

With the amount of tinkering you do trying to get Tula primers to work you could have gotten CCI or Federal and have been done with it......

I agree with Vanniek71 I only run Federal 100 primers . There are a couple things I would look at. Make sure your pistol has the extended firing pin and the reduced power firing pin return spring. I've heard the CGW extended firing pin is longer but I would rather buy buy better primers before modifying my guns.

Even after swapping out to a 15 pd hammer spring (CGW I think) vs 13 pd factory spg which seemed to work for a while and now started having issues with tula primers again. Are Tula primers that much harder than CCI? I don't shoot that much Tula ammo and these are Tula factory loaded not my reloads using just tula primers.

The CCI and Wolf/Tula small pistol primers have the equal amount of suck going on. I typically avoid both brands whenever possible. 2 of my buddies and I went through 100k of them during the great primer shortage years ago. I run the 13 lb CGW hammer spring with the extended firing pin and reduced firing pin spring on my Single Action CZ's and my firing pin hits harder than my 1911's.

photo-2.jpg

Tks for the info. I have had a hard time finding someone around here with just a "throat reamer". Am I correct that there are throat reamers and chamber reamers and neither seems very cheap to come buy, esp for just one type of gun/barrell I own. Why do you think CZ type guns are so short compared to other manf? I realize there can be some accuracy gains by having rifling closer vs farther from the projectile, but is that why CZ's seem short throated?

I'll go with RN reliability for now until I can get the throat reamed.

I believe the reamer and handle I bought from Manson reamers was about $62 shipped. If you want, you could mail me your slide and a few samples of your loads (without powder) and pay for return shipping and I will ream your barrel for you.

I ream my CZ barrels to ensure feeding reliability. I have not noticed any reduction in accuracy or velocity from doing so. If you are using FMJ factory ammo, the stock barrel should work fine but I prefer using lead/bear creek bullets due to cost.

I agree with Vanniek71 I only run Federal 100 primers . There are a couple things I would look at. Make sure your pistol has the extended firing pin and the reduced power firing pin return spring. I've heard the CGW extended firing pin is longer but I would rather buy buy better primers before modifying my guns.

I have both CGW and CZC ext firing pins and they both have worked fine. I have tested the 8.5# hammer spring as well as the 11# and out of over 7500 Rds the ONLY failures I have had was:

#1 I accidentally flipped safety on and caused a jam on my ACCU LITE

#2 Safety issue again on my SP01

#3 a primer fell out of the round and of course caused a FTF (adjusted primer swage depth on my press asap)

That's it.

Primarily I run the 11# because the 8.5# gets me a sub 2# SA trigger pull and that can get kinda sketchy if you aren't super careful! I have ran CCI primers and now have Federals, but no issues at all setting either of them off.

Edited by Vanniek71

I did get a reamer and reamed the throat of my Accu Shadow, CZ85C, Pro-Tek II, Rami, Son's SP01 Shadow, Rami & CZ75 Shadow T.

I´m very interested in a reamer.

Which one did you get and where?

Infos would be great!

I have both CGW and CZC ext firing pins and they both have worked fine. I have tested the 8.5# hammer spring as well as the 11# and out of over 7500 Rds the ONLY failures I have had was:

#3 a primer fell out of the round and of course caused a FTF (adjusted primer swage depth on my press asap)

That's it.

Primarily I run the 11# because the 8.5# gets me a sub 2# SA trigger pull and that can get kinda sketchy if you aren't super careful! I have ran CCI primers and now have Federals, but no issues at all setting either of them off.

Im in the same boat as you. I use a 8.5 mainspring because I reload federal primers. I was just offering something he could look into. But just for our information do you happen to remember or know the length of the extended firing pin for CGW and CZC?

That's it.

Im in the same boat as you. I use a 8.5 mainspring because I reload federal primers. I was just offering something he could look into. But just for our information do you happen to remember or know the length of the extended firing pin for CGW and CZC?

I measured my CGW today, 2.499" on my calipers Edited by zhunter