Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Accu Shadow Initial Review & Light Strikes

AirForce2

I've been shooting my new accu shadow 9mm since mid Feb 2014 and here are some inputs on it. My background was mainly shooting USPSA pretty heavy 1990-1999 w/Springfield P-9 .40's and then 1911 STI in open and limited class. Was a high ranked A class shooter and one of the first Air Force Shooting Team members in late 90's. I've been out of shooting totally until Feb 2014. I received the CZ Accu Shadow Feb 2014.

The accu shadow performed well, which is should for a $1600 custom production piece.

-trigger is excellent and soft for a double action production class gun (sucks that USPSA makes the first shot start w/hammer down since I think this is a potentially dangerous habit to drop the hammer on a weapon that has cock/lock capability)

-accuracy is good w/just std ammo-100 yd bottom of gun only on sandbag produced a 8 inch group with just some ultramax rnd nose 115 gr.

-Function is very good, I did just a minor polishing at the top of the feed ramp as it breaks into the chamber and the outer edges around the chamber opening, but a good job overall from CZ Custom. Let's me know they set the ramp angles right.

-Light strikes on the primer: This is not the bullets fault. When I changed brands and shot other brands of ammo, I instantly had light primer hits. With some harder primers it was one more out of 10-15 rds. This is because the trigger and accu springs are much lighter to get the great single and double action trigger pull so light that it "may" cause light primer hits on harder primers. I don't want a gun that's fickle on primer hardness, so I replaced the rear handle hammer spring with a 2 pnd higher version 15 pd vs 13 pd that came with. No need to replace the firing pin or firing pin spring because the accu shadow already comes with an extended firing pin and a light cut down firing pin return spring. I don't want to have to worry about light hits. This cured my light strikes and did make the double action a hair heavier but not enough to worry about. Some guns may/may not have this issue, but if you do like to shoot any primers other than soft federal, it's an option. I wish there was a 1 pd higher spring vs 2 pd but what can you do.

-magazines: I have some CZ factory 10 rds (tks CO anti gun politicians). I also have some Mecgar high caps and they all work well so far. I like the Mecgar 17 & 19 rd versions because the outside finish is really "slickery" finish.

-holster: I started with the DAA PDR CZ hoslter and just didn't like the draw. If you don't draw at the perfect, exact angle each time, it would stick in the holster like it had a lock engaged and made me feel like Barney Fife (old show for you younger guys). I even tried heating up the holster and created some more front/back and side to side give and this helped some but not enough. Competitive Edge Dynamics was good enough to give me credit and I swapped for the new DAA PDR Pro model that just recently came out and I like the range of adjustments and cant and the holster is more like a heavy duty version of a bladetech but with more adjustments for you. I have a bladetech also and it's great for less than $30 for sure.

-sights: I like the sites, but damn, I always want the ability to adjust my rear sight up/down and left/right without using a hammer or some special device. Me personally I have no problem shooting accurate "slow". It's when I use speed it seems for me a smaller front site post and a smaller rear sight window would make me more accurate when shooting fast. The sites are good though, but I'd recommend putting a little clear epoxy around the sides of the fiber optics since for 20 years the front site can hit a prop and bust the fiber optic which falls out or sometimes the ends just crack off and out goes your fiber optic (did that years ago). I hope to get a smaller rear sight blade and/or smaller front & back. ie...not the .120 inch window rear & front but something around .09 inch sized. Will have to custom it though.

-guide rod: For some reason putting the guide rod and spring back into the upper end is a pain in the rear. It seems the front point of the guide rod gets caught on the front opening of the busing opening and I have to fight it several minutes to get it to get thru the hole. Had to try to round off the rough edges a little and it's still a fight.

-CZ grips: Hmm, they look cool, but who and what reason to put such a non purpose smooth grip on most of the side panels is beside me. I would like to see a little more front & front side corner strap checkering and also on the rear strap on all CZ's, esp the custom ones. Something more like an STI plastic grip checker/stippling as standard. I hate the idea of using skateboard tape on a high dollar pistol. That means it could be better from the factory if bunches of people have to put better grip panels and tape on it. I may try the VZ grips. I think the Accu shadow should already come with them in your choice of color no charge.

Hope the slide stop doesn't break on the newer guns much. I think the 9mm should keep that from happening vs the old designs or on the higher powered .40 cal/38 sup. Seems this is still a crutch occasionally and you should purchase & carry a spare with you especially if you like to run a low power recoil spring & hot loads on your guide rod. Kinda hard to do a speed load of a slide stop replacement during a stage, but it can be done like I did at the 199X nationals.

Overall, I like the CZ Accu Shadow. It's expensive, but the upside is your getting hopefully a good custom functioning setup and a highly sought after accurate gun for fun, defense, or competition.

After only practicing for 8 hours total since 1999, my first match in May at local club after 14 years not even shooting a pistol every year at all and I placed 5th out of 35 at my first match in production class which was also 5 classifiers to get classed in production. Didn't feel to great but not bad and the CZ had some to do with it.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had an issue with any light strikes with my ACCU and I have replaced the 13lb mainspring with an 11.5lb one. Still seems to work like a champ.

I will say this I haven't tried tons of different ammo yet, but everything I have tried has been perfect.

-CZ grips: Hmm, they look cool, but who and what reason to put such a non purpose smooth grip on most of the side panels is beside me. I would like to see a little more front & front side corner strap checkering and also on the rear strap on all CZ's, esp the custom ones. Something more like an STI plastic grip checker/stippling as standard. I hate the idea of using skateboard tape on a high dollar pistol. That means it could be better from the factory if bunches of people have to put better grip panels and tape on it. I may try the VZ grips. I think the Accu shadow should already come with them in your choice of color no charge.

I'm with you on the grips, wish you could choose. After I shot the gun a few times I knew the grips had to change or I had to add grip tape. I found some nice textured grips at CZ-USA and love the extra grip I get out of them. Would be nice like you said to be able to chose. I know if you get a gun from Automatic Accuracy you can choose what grips you want......VZ, CZ, etc

Here are mine now. Love the extra grip, and it makes the gun look nice!

photo8_zps56e1f7ba.jpg

Edited by Vanniek71

With regards to the guide rod fit, is there a reason why you're not just letting the spring cap go out of the front side of the slide after the busing has been rotated? If the spring cap is pushed in at all the guide rod gets stick on it but if its pushed forward an 1/8" or removed alt other it doesn't get in the way.

Mine was tight and took some pressure the first few times but now it comes out when I need it to so the guide rod is easy to remove/install?

Am I wrong for breaking it down that way?

I think your referring to the little short thin super hard metal cap with the hole in the middle? That sure doesn't polish like normal steel, it's super hard (titanium?) Yep it's all the way forward as far as it can go when I try to install the guide rod & spring. Just seems there is to much angle/guide rod a hair long to get the angle right because the front tip of the guide rod jams against the sharp inner backside of the end cap. I even tried putting pressure with a small screwdriver up against the forward bottom of the guide rod to help it. Should I just shorten the guide rod tip a mm and see if that helps? I surely dont' want to remove from the rear I'd guess. I polished all the areas a hair and it's still a multiple try affair to install it. Would suck to remove the bushing every time.

Are you saying I should screw the bushing out some and remove the guide rod cap, insert the guide rod & spring and push the end cap from the top of the gun?

Edited by AirForce2

• 1 month later...

I just had to slightly shorten/grind/polish the overall front pointed area of the guide rod some more and now it fits normal. Never had to grind away a guide rod before for fitment. My choice to modify to a heavier hammer spring is to shoot the harder tula/herters primers and this helped them fire reliably, so they should work on any primers now. I don't shoot a lot of the tula/herters, but 9mm is just showing up on shelves recently. Remember some accu shadows may or may not have any issues with harder primers and may even be able to go lower pd springs. If you start having a couple out of 50 rds going click, you'll know you need to either put a new spring in yourself or stick with federal primers.

With the Accu Shadow you do not remove the guide rod with the bushing installed! You are supposed to remove the Accu Bushing , this allows the barrel and the guide rod and spring to come out very easily.

Yes, that is one way to remove it but, I disagree that you need to remove the bushing to remove the guide rod by the intended accu or other cz 75 design. If that were the case the guide rod should not be a tapered point and be recessed behind the end cap/bushing thingy and would stick out the end of the gun like my STI w/full length guide rod and should be longer if that were the intention. The 1911 with a 2-piece full guide rod that actually sticks out the end or flush with the end of the bushing/front of the slide, maybe.

The Accu is not other cz75 design, it is a modified design. The fact that you had to modify the guide rod should tell you some thing. I believe if you do a search you will find a post that was asked about removing the guide rod from the Accu-shadow when they first came out. cz customs stated that you remove/ turn the bushing to remove the guide rod.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you on the grips, wish you could choose. After I shot the gun a few times I knew the grips had to change or I had to add grip tape. I found some nice textured grips at CZ-USA and love the extra grip I get out of them. Would be nice like you said to be able to chose. I know if you get a gun from Automatic Accuracy you can choose what grips you want......VZ, CZ, etc

Here are mine now. Love the extra grip, and it makes the gun look nice!

photo8_zps56e1f7ba.jpg

Nice grips! I checked the CZ custom shop but it looks like they don't sell them. Is that where you them? The CZ usa site seems to sell firearms no parts

Nice grips! I checked the CZ custom shop but it looks like they don't sell them. Is that where you them? The CZ usa site seems to sell firearms no parts

http://cz-usa.com

.. is where you view all firearms and such, like a catalog, then top link second from right takes you to the online 'store' where you can buy all the accessories and parts ..

http://shop.cz-usa.com

I didn't like the standard AL grips either, went with the aggressive AL from CZ Custom, alot better. Also agree a little better checkering on the front and back straps would be nice. My CZ is the first gun I've had to put grip tape on.