Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(Electronic) Leight, Peltor, or something else?

reloader901

My second set of Howard Leights just broke. Both times it's been related to the headband, this time where they attach to the muffs. ...

This post prompted me to to look at howardleight.com and the warranty on these ear muffs. Perhaps I missed it, but I couldn't find the warranty info. How long is the warranty good for?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposed to be 1 year, but their service is pretty difficult to get through to anyone. They want you to take them back to where they were purchased. This set was a Christmas gift and my first set was over a year old, so that was not an option. You also cannot buy parts for them to fix them yourself.

I use them a lot, occasionally mounted camera on them, etc. For the casual shooter/user they are probably fine. For me they are not.

I did just get a set of MSA Sordin Pro muffs with Gel pads. They are unbelievable. The sound attenuation is very different. No clipping, so you continue to hear everything but the loud noise. The loud noise sounds a little bit like an echo, but I think it is when then loud noise drops back below the 82 dB level. I'm also looking forward to seeing how they work with a scanner at the indy car races. The HLs did not because of the clipping.

Hey guys, I too have been looking at getting some electronic muffs, it sure is a big ticket item. I usually use foam plugs and just deal with having to tak them out put htem in constantly between shooting. I double up with passive muffs when indoors. the plugs are ok for when i shoot trap, but for the USPSA when a lot of time people are shooting but you can be talking with somebody while waiting it would be nice to have some hearing protection AND be able to hear a person.

It looks like the two top ones are the Sordin and the pro ear gold slim (if I got one I'd like to be able to shoot the shotgun and not have it in the way) does anybody know why the sordin are so popular with such a low NRR? I too would be pissed at having spent that much money and having to double up. Does anybody that has the pro ears gold slim have an opinion of them?

Thanks for the info on the surefire, I'll check them out. for right now I'm going to be sticking with the passive until I scrape the money for the electronics. the state trap shoot is this month close to where I live. I'm going to go by there and have the guy that makes custom passive plugs make me a set, I hear they are very comfortable too.

Thanks guys.

Red

Does anybody that has the pro ears gold slim have an opinion of them?

My wife and I have used the Pro Ears Slim TAC Golds for 5-6 years now and they work well for us. The Predators I wouldn't recommend as the headbands are a bit fragile but the Slim Golds I like. I wish they would do something with the battery cover as any bumping in the range bag or dropping will knock out the battery. We use them both indoors and out for pistols, shotguns, ARs, bolt guns, classes, matches, training, etc and I like them. Not real thin but thin enough for me to get behind a rifle.

Hey guys, I too have been looking at getting some electronic muffs, it sure is a big ticket item. I usually use foam plugs and just deal with having to tak them out put htem in constantly between shooting. I double up with passive muffs when indoors. the plugs are ok for when i shoot trap, but for the USPSA when a lot of time people are shooting but you can be talking with somebody while waiting it would be nice to have some hearing protection AND be able to hear a person.

It looks like the two top ones are the Sordin and the pro ear gold slim (if I got one I'd like to be able to shoot the shotgun and not have it in the way) does anybody know why the sordin are so popular with such a low NRR? I too would be pissed at having spent that much money and having to double up. Does anybody that has the pro ears gold slim have an opinion of them?

Thanks for the info on the surefire, I'll check them out. for right now I'm going to be sticking with the passive until I scrape the money for the electronics. the state trap shoot is this month close to where I live. I'm going to go by there and have the guy that makes custom passive plugs make me a set, I hear they are very comfortable too.

Thanks guys.

Red

Be warned, if you have even remotely big ears, try before you buy either of the two brands you mentioned. Pro ears killed my big ears after a very short time. And a shooting buddy had sordin's and smaller ears than mine and they hurt his ears. So I know they would have made mine numb probably.

Just something to check out first.

As a police range officer, I use the Pro ears gold, they are better than anything (electronic) that I've tried. The best plug I use is the new sure fire P7 with the foam tips, they fit better in the ear than the tips that have the ridges. If you want to double up remember that you don't get double the protection, the best you can hope to get is about 36-37 nrr. And with the muffs you are not getting full protection because the fit is not perfect, why, because you are wearing glasses and they keep the muffs from sealing completely. The best thing to do Is good plugs and electronic muffs.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some Surefire EP4s last week. When plugged they were not nearly as good as regular three pack of ear plugs from Home Depot for less than $5. With the EP3s open they were barely okay for use with a .22 Ruger MKIII. I returned the EP3s.

Have a Howard Leight Impact Sport coming for those times earplugs are not appropriate or enough.

The MSA muffs are interesting but way out of my price range right now.

I have the Peltor tactical $50 earmuffs and like them well enough but...

-noise reduction is not as high as I like indoors or with rifles outdoors so I often use plugs under the muffs and crank volume up

-this kills the battery life and the batteries are annoying to change

they also fit a little funny for getting a good cheekweld with certain long gun stocks but that is a general muff problem and these are on the slimmer side anyways

I went from the passive import muffs to the HL's with mp3 jack. I found that when I am at the range a 6 line indoor. And am the only one the higher I turn the gain up the louder the fan gets. But it does drop the level of firing noise. I have a set of the foam plugs on a hard plastic half hoop if I'm the only one and using the 22LR's as they aren't as hard on the ears as the muffs after an hour or so.

I am able to here others on the line talking, seems they talk more than they shoot! :rolleyes:

I received the HL Impact Sports. Got them on eBay for $37 including shipping.

I have only had a few minutes with them outside using .45 acp, but I am impressed for the price. I will try to remember to post a bit more after I have some .22, 5.56, and 12 gauge experience with them.

I prefer earplugs, but these muffs will be useful when I need to hear what is going on around me. I don't hunt, but I noticed I could hear song birds and wind noise in trees better than without anything.

MSA Sordin Supreme. Excellent product with super customer service and repair center in Florida. Had one mike go out on mine sent it to them in Crystal River, Fl on Monday had them back that Thursday. No charge for repair or shipping.

I'm lucky, I live right down the street from these guys. That's where I got my Sordin supremes. After discarding many pairs of crappy electronic earmuffs, I have confidence these will be the last pair ill need to buy. An added bonus is they have a mini plug in them and when I mow the lawn I wear them with my iPod plugged in and get to listen to my music library when I do yard work.

Interesting reading others takes on Peltor vs. HL. I have a pair of Peltor Tac 6s that only come out of the bag when I can't find any of my HLs.

I double up since I seem to spend time on the gravel next to a braked 7WSM or in the lane next to the guy trying his 454 indoors. I use the "Sparkplug" foamies as they've got a great NRR, are comfy, and don't make my ears itch. (Not sure why (dyes? Plasticizers? Solvent?) but some foamies irritate the hell out of my ears.). HLs on over those, crank the volume up, and I can hear the RO but protect my hearing.

Only downsides I've run into with the HLs is that they can pick up interference from cell phones, and the plastic cover on the ear cups isn't 100% proof against aerosol sunscreen.

Someday I'll buy Sordins, but until then this works.

$.01,+/-.01

Edited by Tox

Okay I had a chance to try out the Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs today (6/30/14). Very nice!

10 years ago I had my hearing tested, because I have tinnitus (was 50 years old at the time). Going in I knew my hearing was good regardless of the high pitch noise I hear most of the time. I was told my hearing was about as good as someone in their mid 30's.

Today I tried the muffs outdoors using no amplification to full amplification. They worked great with .22LR, 5.56, and 12 gauge.

I'm a happy camper :)

I developed tinnitus ROing with the Howard Leight Impact muffs. Their noise reduction rating (NRR) is pretty low - 22. I switched to the 3M Peltor H10A Optime 105 Earmuffs which have a NRR of 30 decibles. I take the manufacturer NRR ratings with a grain of salt and wear plugs under the muffs.

I have both the slim profile and full sized pro ears gold muffs. One point not mentioned. I've used them for 5 years hunting and shooting ONE THE SAME BATTERIES.

Amazing long life + auto shut off after 4-5 hrs. I just wear the full sized big ones for hand guns. Spendy, buy 1/10th the cost of hearing aids.

I wish I wore them or similar years back, my ears ring like nutz all the time. Don't cheap out, ears are damaged every single time sounds go over 90db. Just a little bit each time, like the way youeat an elephant.

This is something slightly less obvious but I think the type of glasses you use has a nontrivial effect on how well the earmuffs can really work.

For example I think the Smith Aegis Echos with their slim frame arms do better than other glasses I have tried when talking about noise.

This is absolutely true. This is also one reason the sordins with the gel pads work so well. The gel pad makes a better seal around the temples of the glasses. I swore off Oakleys because the M-frames changed to such a large frame the Sordins would not seal around them.

Muffs being better than plugs is news to me. Do you have any links handy for further reading?

-Jake

They aren't. I've been reading alot about this lately and plugs that are deeply inserted and fill the ear canal fully are best at blocking high frequency and muffs over top provide additional coverage and block low frequency better.

I just bought a pair of Etymotic GSP15 ear plugs. I use them with the foam covers and they have a 25 DB rating. They are with looking at. Also if you qualify for Promotive discount you could save a lot on them

This is something slightly less obvious but I think the type of glasses you use has a nontrivial effect on how well the earmuffs can really work.

For example I think the Smith Aegis Echos with their slim frame arms do better than other glasses I have tried when talking about noise.

yes, this is exactly why I use tag heuer glasses (carbon fibre frame with very thin arms) and use the cambelback gel cups on my peltor tactical sports. they have 2 sealing rings to create a decent seal. :) best $50 you can spend on anything shooting related. :)

• 1 year later...