Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" 1911 in single stack

amish_rabbi

So 6.9 inches of sight radius improved by another 0.4 inches would make a 7.3 inch sight radius...

0.4 / 6.9 = .0579 = 5.79% less error in your sight pictures assuming you're shooting perfect sight pictures

Ken,

You're looking at it wrong. If you're shooting perfect sight pictures then sight radius is not important as all groups would be the same. If the gun is capable of shooting a 1.5" group at 25 yards and you shoot perfect sight pictures you will always achieve a 1.5" group, it doesn't matter if your sight radius is 1" or 20".

What more sight radius does is give you less error when your sight picture is not perfect. Assume a sight alignment error of .10" low (half the height of a typical 1911 front sight) when the shot breaks. If your sight radius is 6.9" the bullet is off by .10" for every 6.9" traveled. With a 6.9" sight radius your shot will be 4.35" below your point of aim at 25 yards. With a sight radius of 7.3" inches it would be low by 4.11", 0.24" less.

It seems like a very little difference but consider if your target is an 8" plate at 25 yards. 4.35" low misses the plate but 4.11" low catches the bottom edge of it. A minor, yet measurable difference. Or look at it this way, how many hits on paper have you had that just missed the higher scoring ring? Your 5.79% increase in accuracy (really a decrease in error) means that for the same sight picture every hit that was 3/4 of a bullet diameter away or less would have scored the higher zone.

Damned English system... Why didn't we convert to metric...

Anyway the numbers don't seem to work out for me. What am I doing wrong?

25 yards = 75 feet = 900 inches

900 / 6.9 = 130.43

900 / 7.3 = 123.29

130.43 * 0.1 = 13.043 inches

123.29 * 0.1 = 12.329 inches

13.043 - 12.329 = 0.714 inch

It seems that at 25 yards the difference will be almost 3/4 of an inch.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this "fit in the box" pictures... :) (I know its for a now defunct IPSC division, but it still brings a smile to my face about how much "out of the box" thinking went into making it fit into the box.)

doctor_box_350_280.jpg

Damned English system... Why didn't we convert to metric...

Anyway the numbers don't seem to work out for me. What am I doing wrong?

25 yards = 75 feet = 900 inches

900 / 6.9 = 130.43

900 / 7.3 = 123.29

130.43 * 0.1 = 13.043 inches

123.29 * 0.1 = 12.329 inches

13.043 - 12.329 = 0.714 inch

It seems that at 25 yards the difference will be almost 3/4 of an inch.

You're right. I should never attempt math! In all my calculations I went 25 yards X 12 inches per yard, forgetting to convert to feet first.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I'll be your Huckleberry..............my SV 5.4 Single Stack is being finished in the next couple of weeks.....I am not attending SS nationals this year but will be attending a bunch of other match's with it. I would have no problems showing up to SS nationals with it and shooting it. It fits the box and makes weight.....what seems to be the problem? That someone thought of a new way to improve the product that a certain match director never thought of? So is it just an ego thing with him? I have to give Gary Stevens credit-he was originally against the idea till we went round and round with a rational, logical discussion on the topic. At the end, he gave credit to SV for putting a lot of thought and effort into making sure that the gun fits the specifications of the Division. He just never thought that anyone would ever do something like this, so it never crossed his mind when he was the force behind the initial setup of the rules for the Division.

Roy Neal

Team SV Infinity

Well when you get down to the bottom line it is a 1911. While I have tried to keep the Division from morphing into something unrecognizable, I don't think this innovation will break the Division.

The box is the limiting factor in many of these ideas. Glad I thought of it:)

Thanks for the kind words Roy.

Edited by Gary Stevens

I'm fine with the 5.4", although some of the "purists" will certainly have a problem with it. But if 5.4" is ok, then what's the justification for restricting .40 to eight rounds, when a standard length magazine holds 9?

Standard mags in Production guns hold more than 10.

Standard revolvers exist that hold 7/8 and can make major.

Can make major with 9mm in a Limited gun too.

BUT,

The rules that define the division say what's ok and not. Box has existed for some time; not a rule change.

The rules, as I have stated many times, were a merging of 1911 Society Rules, IDPA Rules, and USPSA Rules.

Holding major at 8 rounds allows 9mm guns to compete on a somewhat level field, and allows all other 1911's to compete equally.

Edited by Gary Stevens

I'm fine with the 5.4", although some of the "purists" will certainly have a problem with it. But if 5.4" is ok, then what's the justification for restricting .40 to eight rounds, when a standard length magazine holds 9?

There's no such rule. You can load up to 9, declare minor, and blaze happily away.....

Point is, it's an arbitrary rule, the purpose being to level the playing field. Basically, the goal was to make something like an IROC race series where it was a skill contest instead of an equipment race. Having 9 rounds instead of 8 is an advantage. Having a 5.4" gun instead of a 5" gun is an advantage.

Point is, it's an arbitrary rule, the purpose being to level the playing field. Basically, the goal was to make something like an IROC race series where it was a skill contest instead of an equipment race. Having 9 rounds instead of 8 is an advantage. Having a 5.4" gun instead of a 5" gun is an advantage.

And a stage design is like a race track. A close hoser stage makes the sight advantage of a longer gun worthless. A standards style stage with tight shots and no shoots reward major over minor.

Gary.....your welcome for the kind words. It was only the truth.......

Now remember that next week at Battle in the Bluegrass!!!!!!!!!

Otherwise, the keys to your golf cart may go missing (again). Just saying.........

I just wish there was room for some of the other classic guns like the Hi-Power to play.

Ditto. Not being able to play in SS made selling my P220ST a little easier.

You could always find an IPSC match where Classic Division allows other platforms that are not 1911's and are single stack's to play. Sig P220's, HKP7's for example...........Just a thought.........1911's still rule the roost but it does allow them to come out and play.

Um, I dunno. Why don't you do a poll and see how many people think a longer sight radius is an advantage?

I don't care what people *say* they think on the internet. If you look at what people actually shoot at the national level, it seems like a mix of 5", 5.5" and 6" guns. If it was really an advantage, there would be no 5" guns in limited in the top 20 or so, but there are a LOT of them. That tells me it's more of a personal preference thing than an advantage.