Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" 1911 in single stack

amish_rabbi

so ruling is that since a 5.4" gun can fit in the box its good to go for IPSC classic div, I'm not as familiar with USPSA but looking at the rules it seems like there is no reason that it wouldnt also be legal for USPSA (assuming weight) curious if anyone who knows the rules better than me can see why it wouldnt be legal?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maximum size Handgun and all maga- zines

Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16 x 6 x 1 5/8 (tolerance +1/16, -0) (8.938 x 6 x 1.625) (227.01mm x 152.40mm x 41.28mm)

Even if it fits the box which I do not believe it will. Or make weight for that matter. The following would cover it IMHO
"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and
have their basis in the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M.
Browning. Pistols made from components that duplicate the factory

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal"

http://www.uspsa.org/document_library/rules/2014/Feb%202014%20Handgun%20Rules.pdf

Edited by StraightUp_OG

"Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal"

How does that relate to barrel length? The rules specifically mention barrel lengths shorter than 4.2 inches, which obviously wasn't the original design length. Also there have been plenty of 6" production type pistols, so would there be any rule against shortening a 6" gun to fit the box? Or does SVI making 5.4" guns make them production type already?

Yes the 6" and the 5.4 will not fit the box so the rest is moot. But I would argue that the 5.4 is not a duplicate of any factory original.

Trimming the 6" to fit the box is entering into reductio ad absurdum.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I'm not sure if that rule does cover it, having a longer (or shorter) barrel and slide on a pistol does not mean it no longer has a basis on the original design, its not like you changed the way it works. And the 5.4" is available from SVI to the general public, and they are a factory, so that is that part.

Why dont you think it would fit the box when a standard gun with a little trimming on the bevertail fits the box? The weight is the only thing I see that would be a challenge to hit.

Is a 5.4" "the original 1911 service pistol as designed by John M. Browning"? The shorter variants provide no advantage, the longer variants do. So again that part of the argument is rendered moot.

In MY OPINION it will not pass muster and does not meet the rule definition.

However, I say give it a shot! I believe it will fail under that rule but there is only one true way to find out. Take it to a match and see if you can get it passed inspection. I believe that if you were to attempt to get that gun into the likes of the WSSSC it would be disallowed under the rule I cited.

ETA: Another argument that could be made of the shorter variants is the Colt Commander (M15) was adopted by the military in 1972. None of the longer variants have been, thus keeping with the "Service Pistol" designation.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

I have the first SV 5.4 Sight Tracker and it does fit the USPSA and IPSC box with ease. That is the wide body version, so what do you think the odds are of the SS version fitting into the box???? If it fits in the box and makes weight, what is the issue? There is no one stopping anyone else from utilizing this specific size of pistol so yes, they are available to the general public. Since I will be at the factory next month, I just might have to order one......hmmmmmmm......

R

Your sight tracker is what made me think of it. I will most likely be having one built since I usually only shoot IPSC anyways, no weight there :D

Let me know what Brandon says about if he can have it make weight or not.

Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and
originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.
That's the rule. If you think a 5.4 or 2011 meets that. Go nuts.

Only 1911 production type pistols. Must be available to the general public and

originals are acceptable. Frames must be metal.

The key words here are "type" and "basis".

I take that to meaning Function and Operation.

A barrel length of 4.8, 5, or 6 inches doesn't negate the basis and type of the J.M Browning original design.

So as long it fits the box and is within the weight limit, it should be legal.... IMHO

Edited by R2KBA

• 2 weeks later...