Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.4" 1911 in single stack

amish_rabbi

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I can find. The only rule that would limit barrel length is that it has to fit in the box and the interpertation of special conditions in Appendix D5

-Jake

If it fits in the box and makes weight and has a bushing barrel, it's legal. By the standard that many of you would use, a full length guide rod, ambies, beavertail, or dovetail sights would make a gun illegal.

You should have your "Single Stack Elitist" card revoked. :devil:

I am down with going all purist and ditch the ambi's and $hit but if you think the 5.4 is based in the "Service Pistol" rule then more power to ya!

I am going to email Amidon myself. It should not have taken this long for a response.

:D

Seems to me that "must have their basis in the original 1911..." is not the same as saying it must match the original design. Having a basis in something means evolution of the original design is allowed.

I eagerly await Amidon's ruling. This is interesting, as I have always thought there was some rule that said barrel cannot be more than .10 longer than factory length. Maybe that's a production division rule?

I eagerly await Amidon's ruling. This is interesting, as I have always thought there was some rule that said barrel cannot be more than .10 longer than factory length. Maybe that's a production division rule?

It is a Production rule for replacement barrels. From App D4, 21.3:

BARRELS: Current rules remain in effect - you may replace the barrel with an OFM or aftermarket barrel which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original barrel for that model of gun.

Special Notes/Clarifications:

For purposes of this interpretation, a barrel within +/- 0.1” of OFM is “the same length”. Barrels of the same length, contour and caliber but with different crown profiles are authorized.

Would someone please send the noob a rulebook? :-)

So we're accepting the gun conforms to the first part of the rule - "only 1911 production type pistols" ... But then saying it doesn't have "basis in the original 1911 service pistol"?

How can it be one without being the other?

IMO, the qualifying factor in the sentence is not "service pistol", because "service pistol" is a descriptor of the 1911 from which all these guns in question are designed, even the 2011.

The qualifying factor is whether the gun is "based on" the original 1911 service pistol design.

The guns don't have to be actual "service pistols", or even original "service pistol" configuration, or their exact model adopted as "service pistols" by any military.

They just have to be "based on" the original 1911 service pistol design, and this is obviously "based on" the 1911 service pistol design... it just has a longer barrel & slide.

But if it still fits in the box, and still meets weight (does it actually?) ... I'd be hard pressed to nail anyone on it.

Edited by Moltke

IMO, the qualifying factor in the sentence is not "service pistol", because "service pistol" is a descriptor of the 1911 from which all these guns in question are designed, even the 2011.

The qualifying factor is whether the gun is "based on" the original 1911 service pistol design.

The guns don't have to be actual "service pistols", or even original "service pistol" configuration, or their exact model adopted as "service pistols" by any military.

They just have to be "based on" the original 1911 service pistol design, and this is obviously "based on" the 1911 service pistol design... it just has a longer barrel & slide.

But if it still fits in the box, and still meets weight (does it actually?) ... I'd be hard pressed to nail anyone on it.

While I respectfully disagree it is moot until Amidon renders his opinion.

Edited by StraightUp_OG

If it fits in the box and makes weight and has a bushing barrel, it's legal. By the standard that many of you would use, a full length guide rod, ambies, beavertail, or dovetail sights would make a gun illegal.

Bingo. SVI even lists the 5.4" gun as "USPSA SS Legal".

Also, square trigger guards are legal and not the original design or available on service pistols (that I know of).

Edited by entropic

By the strict interpretation of "service pistol" proposed above the commander and officer model guns should not be allowed. If the 5.4" is supposed to be illegal we need a smaller box. Interested in Amidon's response. I just looked briefly at SVI site and didn't see where the 5.4" is shown as SS legal. Do you need to be logged into gun builder to see it?