Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder suggestions for 9mm minor 124gr Mg jhp

open67

Have been using 4 grains of tightgroup but have gotten leary of this powder as it is fast and if extra gets by in a case am worried about something bad happening. Loading on a 650 with powder check but have gotten so info that pressures can go way up with even extra small amounts. Looking for options. This is for production.

I run Winchester Super Field... switched from Titegroup because of concerns around speed, pressure and heat generation - here in AZ we don't need any extra heat.

Of course, good luck finding any for sale.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I'd be impressed if you got a double charge on a 650, that is nearly impossible. I run a 650 with hundreds of thousands of rounds loaded and have never once had a powder issue. You'd have to have a major failure on your charge bar for that to happen. I think you'd notice that pretty quick. :-)

But I agree Titegroup is pretty harsh on felt recoil. I use WSF currently and love it. But, I'm almost out - and if I can't find more, will be using Clays/Clay Dot - as I have quite a bit of that. 9mm is pretty versatile really in terms of powder - almost anything will work.

I load with WST for 124 gr bullet and it has worked well for me 4.6 to 4.7 gr. at 1.135 to 1.140 out of CZ Shadow. I recently got a few 3 lbs of titegroup and loaded 124 gr MG with 4.0 gr. and it works for me too.

Reason for the post (and I will try to make a full post with pics later is I had a catastrophic failure 4/6 that blew the gun and barrel to pieces. luckily I or no one was hurt other than my hands felt like they got hit with a ball bat for about 15 min. Loading 4 gr. TG on a 650 with powder check and am pretty diligent about it.

Wst is kind of a fluffy powder and in 9mm a normal charge takes up a lot of case volume. My normal charge fills up the case about 2/3s the way full if not more. It is also fast burning and shoots a lot like titegroup. Its about all I use anymore. The way the powder situation is right now though you kind of got to use what ever you can find.

4.5 of 4756 works well also.

Sir i have been trying to use 4756 with a 115gr 9mm and even with 5.0gs of powder have alot that will not fully eject and its not only the m&p gun a 1911 also. Have u changed your recoil spring to a lighter one??

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...