Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P320

JGus

A lot of shooters would shoot a Hipoint if they could get a shirt and some support. Lets see the match wins this year, and how they hold up to hard use, and then we will have a valid comparison point.

I like this gun so far better than a Glock.... slightly. Fits my hand better, but I had better triggers on my DIY trigger job tuned Glocks. My trigger on my P320 is stock.... lets see how that ends up after DIY work. If I ever get time!

Edited by sfinney

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took mine to the range again last night. Did some draw/one shot head drills, draw and fire 2 for A, and some bill drills to get the timing. Jury is still out, but I'm warming up to it. I think once I get some more rounds down range it will feel better.

FWIW, I did not feel mine was "jumpy" compared to SP-01... being lighter it was slightly more violent, but the sites settled well. I am using a 13 pound recoil spring, think I will switch to an ISMI 12.5 to try that.... When I shot it with the stock recoil spring, it was bouncier, and the recoil spring makes a huge difference in feel.

To be fair, the sample I shot was 100% stock, so different springs might help. I used the word jumpy, but I like your description better. It was more violent than I expected. Also, the lack of accuracy is what surprised me as much as anything. Based on reports, I expected much better.

Edited by idHawk

Took mine to the range again last night. Did some draw/one shot head drills, draw and fire 2 for A, and some bill drills to get the timing. Jury is still out, but I'm warming up to it. I think once I get some more rounds down range it will feel better.

FWIW, I did not feel mine was "jumpy" compared to SP-01... being lighter it was slightly more violent, but the sites settled well. I am using a 13 pound recoil spring, think I will switch to an ISMI 12.5 to try that.... When I shot it with the stock recoil spring, it was bouncier, and the recoil spring makes a huge difference in feel.

The 12.5# ISMI is the spring I settled on for my 147 loads. Way lighter than a 13# Wolff for sure. The 14# ISMI was close but still felt slightly heavy.

Well, if you guys say so, I won´t counter that, not knowing both of them springs.

Just turned my Shadow to a 10lb. spring, and that´s a big difference to the original.

But I don´t feel a difference to an 11lb. spring, so.

:blush:

The base pads on the right are PA Enterprises base pads. They have several different styles that work well with the P320 and look great.

The big difference is that they match the profile of the grip so it actually extends the grip surface on the front whereas the Springer Precision pads sit back a bit to optimize the feel of them in your hand and allow for an eventual mag well.

The PA Enterprises pads also have different sized "wings" matching the factory grip profile and they have another style that even extends that profile to the rear of the grip. This picture doesn't do them justice since I have worn down the front of my Production gun's grip frame module from lots and lots of dry fire practice but I can post a better picture on a fresh grip frame module if you like.

I started with the Springer Precision .25" and while they were good I recommend either moving to the .375" or the PA Enterprises ones.

I am also now testing the Taylor Freelance 140mm extensions which give me three or four more rounds than the Springer Precision +4s were giving me (I only got +2 with the SP +4 using the stock followers and springs from Springer).

http://www.paenterprises.net/Magazine_Base_Plates_s/1847.htm

I just got 8 of the PA Enterprise basepads in today and they are awesome! Very well made and very well thought out by filling the gap in the grip.

I just received six PAE base pads today as well. Very, very nice. But the version I got weights 1.4 oz so with the stainless steel guide rod I'm going to be close on weight.

I just received six PAE base pads today as well. Very, very nice. But the version I got weights 1.4 oz so with the stainless steel guide rod I'm going to be close on weight.

Check the weight, you should be okay. I have the biggest PAE pads and a stainless FAT rod. I was under the limit.

The guide rod adds about 0.5oz so you should be just fine. Also remember that the stock base pads are about 0.1oz so you can subtract that and you are likely only adding 1.8oz or so. I have found that I can add about 2.5 oz before reaching the 31.4 oz limit for a P320 in Production. The approved Production gun list has the P320 at 29.4 oz but stock mine was closer to 28.9oz giving me a bit more room to add weight. Your mileage may vary.

Speaking of base pad options I just heard from Robin Taylor tonight who said that his +0 base pads for the P320 are now available in black or zombie green.

http://taylorfreelance.com/blog/?p=575

I am testing out his +5 extensions right now. It looks like with the springs that he includes I need to remove a bit of material (about 3/16 of an inch from the lower, outside portion of the follower) to get that reloadable +5. After that it works as advertised and still locks everything back. I am also playing with some CZC springs and followers from TS that are giving me +6 in those extensions after some not-all-that-easy modifications to the Grams-style CZC TS follower.

I will be running them at the USCA 2 Gun Nationals next weekend and can report back on functionality but so far everything looks good.

Roy from Grayguns says the Compact shoots faster for him. He said the sights just track better. I have a P320 Compact for EDC but haven't shot it that much.

I personally think grip tape or other texture above the stock texture area is required on the P320 for competition. I also prefer a lighter recoil spring on the FS.

Given the modularity of the FCU have you tried dropping your race trigger into your Compact to check results?

Thanks for your helpful post. I have been traveling, and haven't been able to experiment further with springs, grip tape or the trigger.

Do you or others know whether the 320 FS and/or C will work in a 250 6378 ALS holster?

What mag pouches are people running for competition? I usually use CR Speed. Is there and insert that works? Or is there a better pouch for the 320?

I think I've got the initial accuracy issues I had with mine squared away. The ammo I was using for testing wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be. I don't have a Ransom Rest but I do have a Bianchi Open gun I can shoot lighter 9mm bullets with. My base line was DC Ammo 115 MG. It shot about 3/4 inch at 25 yds. The new ammo was 2 inches. Out of the 320 I had the best results accuracy wise with lighter bullets. The 115 MG from Doug was best with 1.5 inch grouping. There was a flyer that opened up the original 1" group. I also had a nice tight group going with Nosler 124 Gr Match ( but that stuff is way too hot to shoot in a match) till I called a flyer that opened it to 2". The rest and worst of the ammo was 2.5-3". I've shot 147 grain loads for a lot of years so this will be weird switching.

Had a stage in a local match today where all mags had to be on the table. Unloaded start with one reload. Unless the table is nice and flat the PAE base pads didn't want to sit with the back of the mag down toward the table. They kept falling over. They need to have a small flat spot filed on the back of the base pad to be more stable.

Just my two cents.

Had a stage in a local match today where all mags had to be on the table. Unloaded start with one reload. Unless the table is nice and flat the PAE base pads didn't want to sit with the back of the mag down toward the table. They kept falling over. They need to have a small flat spot filed on the back of the base pad to be more stable.

Just my two cents.

That's why I got the ones that don't have the extra wing in the back. I also didn't want the extra wing knocking into the other mags on my belt but they certainly look nice.

What mag pouches are people running for competition? I usually use CR Speed. Is there and insert that works? Or is there a better pouch for the 320?

I think I've got the initial accuracy issues I had with mine squared away. The ammo I was using for testing wasn't as accurate as I thought it would be. I don't have a Ransom Rest but I do have a Bianchi Open gun I can shoot lighter 9mm bullets with. My base line was DC Ammo 115 MG. It shot about 3/4 inch at 25 yds. The new ammo was 2 inches. Out of the 320 I had the best results accuracy wise with lighter bullets. The 115 MG from Doug was best with 1.5 inch grouping. There was a flyer that opened up the original 1" group. I also had a nice tight group going with Nosler 124 Gr Match ( but that stuff is way too hot to shoot in a match) till I called a flyer that opened it to 2". The rest and worst of the ammo was 2.5-3". I've shot 147 grain loads for a lot of years so this will be weird switching.

Sooner rather than later most of the SIG team is going to be using the Blade-Tech competition mag pouches. At present a couple of the guys I know are running CR speed. I will have to ask how well that is working out for them. M&P extensions seem to fit so I wonder if carriers designed for those would work?

Ghost is also a popular choice for the bullets out folks and there is a safariland 771 pouch that works. I can get that number if you need it.

I have some DAA Race Master pouches that are nice but required modification of the thick inserts. I had to sand a bit off of the back and side inserts (which are sold separately) and then they worked perfectly.

I am running Red Hill Tactical pouches (local guy who does some nice kydex work) with different styles for Production division versus 3 Gun. my 3 Gun pouches have more retention and are on ELS clips.

Edited by alma

Going against the grain here, but.... I finally had a chance to shoot a Full Size P320 in 9mm tonight. I was pretty excited to try it, given all the hype I have been hearing. I was most definitely NOT impressed. I was just shooting standard factory ammo, but I found the pistol to be very jumpy. I really expected it to see less vertical movement and was very disappointed in the accuracy as well. It may just be that I got to shoot a poor sample, but I will stick with my SP-01 for production. I really wanted to like this pistol. I did. Especially for the price. I'm sure it's a great gun, and the trigger is the best I've seen on a Striker Fired Pistol, but it's most definitely not for me.

Pretty much the same experience I had. And I'm a huge Sig fan. I've got more than a dozen various all metal P series models and some X5's. My all time favorite gun is the Sig X5 L1 .40.

I compete with a CZ Accu Shadow with a Mink trigger job, so to be fair I think that gun has ruined me on all other competition guns. And the P320 I shot was all stock, which also didn't help in my evaluation. Yes, I did like the P320. But the way the gun has been talked up and people saying they are switching from a Shadow, Stock II or III to the P320, I guess I expected something pretty special. It's an innovative gun, and with a good trigger job I can see this gun being very competitive. In my opinion it didn't shoot any better or worse than any other polymer gun I've shot (XDm, Glock, FNS, M&P). Very good gun for the price, but it didn't convince me to give up my Accu Shadow.

Scott Springer was running the CR Speed pouches with the P320 at the Oregon State match and said they work well.

Apex Tactical made a drop-in flat face trigger. It's pretty easy to take the FCG down to the point where you can swap it. Not Production legal, obviously. Can't post the link while I'm at work, but if you check out their blog it's the first post.

Picked up my 9mm full size today.

Overall I like the gun feels good shoots pretty flat surprisingly.

Trigger feels good despite being over 8 lbs I was not expecting it to be so heavy.

My POI out of the box was about 4" high and 2" left at 10 yards. I drifted the rear and got that centered. I shot it as well as 2 others all shot decent groups and high. Anyone else had this issue? The front and rear sights are both #8 and the contrast version not night sights.

Apex Tactical made a drop-in flat face trigger. It's pretty easy to take the FCG down to the point where you can swap it. Not Production legal, obviously. Can't post the link while I'm at work, but if you check out their blog it's the first post.

Not having ever tried a flat-faced trigger, what's the advantage/appeal? There's not as much trigger travel on a striker gun as there is on a DA/SA or DAO, so I wouldn't have thought trigger shape would make a big difference.