Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Regional sayings/ phrases

During a recent trip to western NC I stopped by a local Mom and Pop store. I sneezed while checking out and the old man said "Scat there!". I didn't think anything about it but I overheard someone else saying the same thing a few days later. I looked it up online and discovered its a regional saying heard only in the Appalachians. It could be "Scat there" or "Scat there Tom, your tail's in the gravy" only said after someone sneezes. I don't get it but I do find it interesting. Has anyone else come across weird regional sayings or phrases?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My cousins in the Midwest call carbonated drinks pop. In Alabama, it doesn't matter what kind of soft drink it is, it is a coke.

Hey, I'm headed to the gas station over yonder fer a coke, yown't one?

Yea, grab me an RC while you're down 'ere.

Was up in Vermont one time and at about lunch time someone said "lets go down and get a slider for lunch", I was at a total loss but they all looked pretty healthy so said OK. Turned out it's a Submarine sandwich.

Or when I was at Ft. Devens in the army, sign in drug store showed they had "frappe", No idea on that at all but turned out to be a milk shake.

(anyone in Mass, if I misspelled it, let me know)

The one that always gets me is when it is raining while the sun is shining. I hear people say "the devil is beating his wife." My friend from Italy say "the witch is combing her hair" I just say its raining.

During a recent trip to western NC I stopped by a local Mom and Pop store. I sneezed while checking out and the old man said "Scat there!". I didn't think anything about it but I overheard someone else saying the same thing a few days later. I looked it up online and discovered its a regional saying heard only in the Appalachians. It could be "Scat there" or "Scat there Tom, your tail's in the gravy" only said after someone sneezes. I don't get it but I do find it interesting. Has anyone else come across weird regional sayings or phrases?

Scat cat get your tail outa my nose!

That's the way I remember that one.

Originally for eastern NC.

You don't push a button, you mash it.

You don't have a car accident, you have a wreck.

"Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural

Ex-wife was from Pittsburgh.

You don't use a vacuum cleaner, you use a sweeper.

You don't look in the cabinet, you look in the cupboard.

If someone is nosey and getting into your business, they are nebby.

A rubber band is a gum band.

Originally for eastern NC.

You don't push a button, you mash it.

You don't have a car accident, you have a wreck.

"Y'all" is singular. "All y'all" is plural

Ex-wife was from Pittsburgh.

You don't use a vacuum cleaner, you use a sweeper.

You don't look in the cabinet, you look in the cupboard.

If someone is nosey and getting into your business, they are nebby.

A rubber band is a gum band.

yens red up yer room. Freaking Pittsburgh

Well I don't know if these are regional or not, but I've picked them up from my dad.

"I'm hungry enough to eat the a_-hole out of a skunk"

"slicker than a eel's ass"

"rougher than a cob" -I had to ask what this one means. He said "how about I shove a corn cob up your ass, and you tell me how rough it is"

Maybie it's just my family

Well I don't know if these are regional or not, but I've picked them up from my dad.

"I'm hungry enough to eat the a_-hole out of a skunk"

"slicker than a eel's ass"

"rougher than a cob" -I had to ask what this one means. He said "how about I shove a corn cob up your ass, and you tell me how rough it is"

Maybie it's just my family

He definitely had a thing for ass! Geezle Pete's!

Grew up in SE South Dakota. There, at a fast food place your order can be "to stay" or "to go". Everywhere else I've ever been it's been "for here" or "to go".

Went to school in Fargo. When people there use an exclamation, it's always preceded by the word "for".

"For cool!"

"Oh, for wow!"

"For funny!"

"For cute!"