Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Salomon Fellcross is flatter to the ground, less than half the heel drop compared to the SC3. I found a used pair (S-Labs) that were run in 2 trail races & only needed minor cleaning up. $80 on eBay. Comfort and stability are very good, your foot doesn't move within the shoe.

Absent some distinct amount of mud or puddles, the 1/4" tread works pretty well. They're the latest and greatest in that regard - until they stop making them. Used to be it was the Nike Trigo and related - Nike stopped making those soles altogether. Then it was the Adidas Kanadia 3 - fast, super light, perfect for summer, very well ventilated; Adidas stopped making them - put that tread on higher, thicker, heavier, hotter shoe models. I expect Salomon to follow suit and stop making theirs or just screw them up with new features we don't want.

For mud, you need 1/2" tread. Like Nike Land Sharks. Hot, unventilated, but waterproof. Not nearly as good as Salomons for heel-toe shooting on the move, but way better than slipping and pulling a muscle or just plain landing on your butt. BTW Nike stopped making the lighter/cooler low cut models, so did Adidas with their cleats. I stopped gluing mine together and now just have the mid-cuts.

post-354-0-36634900-1394573834_thumb.jpg

Edited by eric nielsen

yeah nike used to make a really nice trail shoe. nike air pegasus TRAIL 29.

just found a pair on ebay. for someone on a budget they are a great USPSA shoe. not as deep as full cleats, but the secret is the tread is very soft rubber, and still quite deep. so very good grip on loose surfaces (like sand or gravel). and being a soft rubber they grip very well on wet smooth surfaces like wood, or concrete etc. They are also very light so easy to wear all day.

of course as best I can tell they don't have a new trail model with anything like the tread depth that these have.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/190989735001?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94

Edited by BeerBaron

Anybody use the Vibram Five Finger shoes. I have been looking at the Spyridon LS, they look extremely light, but didn't know what they would be like for standing around at the range all day.

Great great mud shoes..

Edited by a matt

Salomon has only recently learned that they are the shoe of choice for the shooting sports and they're excited about it.

It'll be interesting to see if we get some support from them soon.

Its great to attract non-shooting specific suppliers to the sport.

Salomon has only recently learned that they are the shoe of choice for the shooting sports and they're excited about it.

It'll be interesting to see if we get some support from them soon.

Its great to attract non-shooting specific suppliers to the sport.

I'm hoping it doesn't drive the prices up though......everything associated with the word firearm is roughly 35-900% more expensive than it should be.... :goof: