Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

I have tried many different boots, cleats, hiking shoes, running shoes, and whatever else for use at practical shooting matches. The Salomon SpeedCross 3 is a very good shoe for pretty much all range conditions. Their cleats are made of very soft rubber which generates outstanding traction on virtually all surfaces, even slick wood or concrete. The soft rubber also makes them very comfortable to wear at the range all day without any foot fatigue. I only have a couple of complaints with the SpeedCross 3. First, the very soft rubber cleats sometimes made them feel squirmy or squishy on hard surfaces when you would try to plant hard into a shooting position. Second, the very soft rubber cleats wear down very quickly and start to change the normal angle of your feet when compared to the ground, especially on the heel side of the shoe.

I did some research and found that the Salomon Fellraiser had the same basic aggressive cleat lug design but the rubber used was slightly stiffer than the SpeedCross 3. I tried a pair of the Fellraiser shoes and have been using them ever since. They generate the same level of traction as the SpeedCross 3 in all range conditions, even on slick wood or concrete. The slightly stiffer rubber used on the cleats does not feel squirmy or squishy but is still soft enough to make them very comfortable to wear all day long at the range with zero foot fatigue. The cleat/lug wear is also dramatically improved, so much so that I have been using the same pair of Fellriaser shoes for over a year and they still don't show much if any actual wear on the cleat/lugs.

I like the Fellraiser shoes so much that I have purchased several pair just in case they discontinue the model, which unfortunately happens quite often in the shoe universe. I still use a pair of SpeedCross 3 CS shoes for the wet range conditions as the "CS" version is water proof and more insulated for the colder shooting months. Every match I go to I bring a pair of Fellraiser and SpeedCross 3 CS shoes and I am yet to be unprepared for the range conditions regardless of what it is.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salomon has only recently learned that they are the shoe of choice for the shooting sports and they're excited about it.

It'll be interesting to see if we get some support from them soon.

Its great to attract non-shooting specific suppliers to the sport.

I'm hoping it doesn't drive the prices up though......everything associated with the word firearm is roughly 35-900% more expensive than it should be.... :goof:

Oh, they will now come out with a competition shooting line . . . prices starting at $199.99 :roflol:

Thanks for the sizing tip.

Unlucky me, as the ebay site mentioned earlier goes from 10 to an 11, and I need a 10.5. I will try to find them locally for sizing purposes.

Thanks for getting me in the ballpark.

Zappos offers free return shipping and they have my size available, Might give them a try.

I go a half size bigger with these and they for me perfectly

+1 for me a half size bigger

Thanks for the sizing tip.

Unlucky me, as the ebay site mentioned earlier goes from 10 to an 11, and I need a 10.5. I will try to find them locally for sizing purposes.

Thanks for getting me in the ballpark.

Zappos offers free return shipping and they have my size available, Might give them a try.

I didn't follow the sizing tip... hopefully I will be ok

Mine are in my usual size. They fit great.

This is a good thing to know as I ordered based upon my regular size. when mine get in I will post back about fit and if the e-bay seller I bought from is legit.

I went to my local big-box Sporting Goods store (starts with a C), and found I did need a 1/2 size bigger.

Ordered on-line from Zaps, but knew I had the right size. Wanted the SpeedCross 3 in black with red laces, and the C store only had green.

So I got my first pair of Salomon shoes. I ordered them online, but after reading some people's issue on correct sizing, I went to a store to try them on first. Luckily I did, cause I'm usually a size 6, and they were slightly too big. Got them in a 5.5 & they fit great!

I got the Ellipse GTX. Looking forward to seeing how they are at the next match!

post-11739-0-55200200-1396548204_thumb.j

I went yesterday to my local store and they didn't have anything that fit me. Damn these wide feet.

Same here. I have yet to find shoes that fit me as well as New Balance. The NB wide toe box does it for me.