Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why are Salomon shoes so popular for shooters?

JPG

I got the waterproof kind. Not necessarily for rain but for that early morning dew that soaked my previous cleats. Sucks to start out with wet shoes.

+1 on that...

My wife loves her Speedcross 3 CS shoes, but my feet are too wide for them. I'm wearing the Sacony Xodus 5.0 GTX this season and they fit me well. Honestly, I think any good trail runner will have similar traits being both light and supportive.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I have Realtree Cobra Xtra. Do they look a little goofy ( maybe) depending on the person.

-Comforable....very

-Light weight..... Yep

- aggressive tread.... Sure do

-water resistant.... You bet.

-cost $150.00.... Nope $49.99

So that's what I bought.

I can't wear them because I can't get wide widths but they are light, breathable, great traction, dry fast, easy off easy on minimalist shoes. I think they also sponsor Rudy so that probably explains some of it

My feet are about as wide as they are long and New Balance is the only company that makes athletic shoes I can wear.

I feel your pain. I tried the speedcross, but my wide foot wouldn't work with them. I usually wear NB too, but shoot with the merrel moabs I wear for work. Merrel are tough and comfy, but not as nice looking as the speedcross. Those solomans are so badass, I really wish they would work for me. Why can't they make wides?!? Edited by LeviSS

Since I last posted my Nike 29+ trail were getting a little ratty. Bought a pair of the speedcross 3 with climashield. The do breathe but are more water resistant than water proof. What I do notice us at the end of a long day my feet are a little uncomfortable from walking on such small spikes all day.

On a whim I bought a set of Adidas kanadia 7 trail. They are more agressive than my Nike trails but the 'spikes' are wider than the speedcross 3.

I love them. They suit a much wider set of range conditions than the sc3 and they are very light and comfy all day. I think the kanadia trail 7 is being discontinued so I bought another pair to keep in the closet.

So for my ipsc shoes I currently have:

Blades (great in super muddy stuff, bit heavy)

Nike air Pegasus 29+ trail (great on grass, gravel, concrete and wood. Very comfy and light. Don't really hold up in mud)

Speedcross 3 CS (great in mud, can be slippery on wet wood, on dry grass they are almost too grippy. They rip out divots on turning draws! Not so comfy all day)

Adidas kanadia trail 7 (my favourite all round. Capable on grass, gravel and wood. Still comfy on concrete and can handle some mud too. Very light).

If I could just have 1 pair that had to cover all situations it'd be the Adidas with the nikes second by some margin.

Salomons don't fit me well because I have wide feet. I found me a pair of Adidas Kanadia TR4 shoes for $39.00 and they are great!

I just bought a pair of these also on amazon. Feel good so far, wearing them in a match on Sunday.

I've got a question for the speedcross 3 experts. do you use the CS model or non-CS model?

for those who don't know the CS is clima-shield, basically water proofing.

I shoot in dry weather probably 90% of the time. but there is the odd day when it rains (and one recently where we where in nearly ankle deep water in parts of a stage).

So with that in mind I think the CS version will be of benefit to help keep my feet dry BUT not if that means they won't breathe on the hot days.

or does this mean I need a regular model for hot weather an a CS model for winter?

anyone here tried both versions and have an opinion?

(PS, talking genuine models not the ali baba knockoffs).

Have you considered the goretex ones?

I get wet feet with my regular solomans but that is due to dewy grass in the mornings most of the time.

Would the CS be better than the goretex option?

Speed Cross 3's are the best, but only guys with skinny feet can handle them. Their extra wide is still narrow to me. I use Keen's steel toes #1012856. They have good traction and fit fat size feet.

Edited by 9x45

I like my Speedcross but they wear too fast. Bought them last dec soles are nearly slick now.

Looking for a more cleat like style with longer wear.

Don't know if they still make them but the Solomon fell raiser apparently has a harder tred but similar pattern to the speed cross. I really like mine but have slipped on wet wood.

Salomons don't fit me well because I have wide feet. I found me a pair of Adidas Kanadia TR4 shoes for $39.00 and they are great!

I just bought a pair of these also on amazon. Feel good so far, wearing them in a match on Sunday.
Did you guys find wides (EE) in these or does the normal width fit you/run wide?

I'm looking on Amazon and only see regular width.

Edited by LeviSS

I've got a question for the speedcross 3 experts. do you use the CS model or non-CS model?

for those who don't know the CS is clima-shield, basically water proofing.

I shoot in dry weather probably 90% of the time. but there is the odd day when it rains (and one recently where we where in nearly ankle deep water in parts of a stage).

So with that in mind I think the CS version will be of benefit to help keep my feet dry BUT not if that means they won't breathe on the hot days.

or does this mean I need a regular model for hot weather an a CS model for winter?

anyone here tried both versions and have an opinion?

(PS, talking genuine models not the ali baba knockoffs).

Have you considered the goretex ones?

I get wet feet with my regular solomans but that is due to dewy grass in the mornings most of the time.

Would the CS be better than the goretex option?

Dan, I have the cs (climashield) speedcross. They should Stop your wet feet from morning dew. I haven't tried any goretex ones. I really like the kanadia tr7 over my speedcross 3 cs. I've got 2 pairs of the kanadias now, speedcross for heavier wet stuff and blades for really wet/muddy conditions.

I like my Speedcross but they wear too fast. Bought them last dec soles are nearly slick now.

Try the kanadia tr7. Harder wearing than the sc3's in my experience. More stable too.

Did you guys find wides (EE) in these or does the normal width fit you/run wide?

I'm looking on Amazon and only see regular width.

I got regular width and they are about normal don't run narrow or wide. Ive never worn wide sizes in anything though.

Try the kanadia tr7. Harder wearing than the sc3's in my experience. More stable too.
I just got kanadia tr7. Feel good so far on my wide feet. Gonna test em out next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk