Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mfrits

OK guys need some input here to help me diagnose some issues with my STI Edge 40 Cal. I am running an Aftec extractor and a Recoil Master guide rod/spring in the gun. I got the gun used and have put approximately 700 rounds through it but I don't know the total round count on it. I am firing 180gr Berry's over 7.0 gr of HS-6 (all rounds chamber checked). The gun is completely cleaned after each match/practice session with Frog Lube. The problem I am having is, after my 3rd stage of a USPSA match today, the gun started to cycle "slowly". It would eject the spent case but seemed to struggle pushing the next round into battery. The issue occurred with 10-12 rounds fed from two different magazines. It would often stop 1/4 inch or so shy of closed and I would have to push the slide the remaining distance. Thinking that if might be an ammo issue, I switched to some GA Arms factory ammo for my next stage and I also put a few drops of oil on the barrel hood and top of the barrel. While this did improve the situation, it did not eliminate it. The issue occurred twice more in the next two stages. One of the RO's suggested that it may be an extractor tension issue? Would love to hear any thoughts from the group on what the issue may be.

Yea, could be an overly tight extractor.

Take one spring out of the aftec, and see if that cures it.

Also, what # recoil spring?

The Aftec has already had one spring removed. Not sure of the # on the recoil spring as it came on the gun.

You mention putting oil on the barrel hood but what about the rails? Also HS6 is fairly dirty at those pressures so it may have been dirt or grit in the chamber.

Brian

I did not oil the rails but it was cleaned with Frog Lube the day prior so they should have been plenty slick. I have found the HS-6 to be a little dirty but only 3 stages into a match after cleaning seams unlikely that grit would be the issue. Any other thoughts?

What was the temperature? I've had similar issues with my Edge on cold days (below 40F) and it was the grease gumming up. Add some more oil to cut the grease and it ran again.

Temp started out around 40 but had warmed to 55-60 when the problem started. Sounds like maybe I just need to oil it up a bit more.

Change your powder. HS6 is about the dirtiest there is unless you run light bullets and get the pressure up. There are much better choices for .40

Yeah, I prefer N320 or TiteGroup but it is getting hard to come by. I really don't think the issue was fouling though. I was only 75 rounds into the match on a freshly cleaned gun when it started to act up. I cleaned it today and it really wasn't that dirty. I couldn't find anything mechanically wrong but I am far from being a gunsmith.

Too cold for frog lube maybe? I'm one of those who is a big fan of motor oil. I think mine is some kind of synthetic stuff out of the bottom of a jug. Had it for over three years and the little bottle is still half full.

Mfrits,

Check the recoilmaster closely. When they start to come undone they cause this kind of problems , Just like a shockbuff coming apart. I like recoilmasters, and I think they do a good job, but they do crack, and start to separate at the flange.

JWB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I can't believe nobody has answered this and said to use Enos Slide Glide! I mean, this is his website!

Frog lube is great for keeping things that build carbon from building carbon. That's about it. I love it on the piston areas of my AR's.

Slide Glide light for Lowe temps, regular for anything above 60 degrees. A tube will last a long time, and I clean my guns after every match or practice session. I've heard you can run 5000 rounds without cleaning your pistol and Slid Glide will still work fine. Don't know about that, but it is good stuff..

It's available here somewhere or through Dillon Reloading. Other places as well, but those for sure.

I put CLP on the wearing area of my barrel but all contact areas of slide and hammer etc. get Slid Glide. Good luck, happy shooting.

I had the same situation arise with my 9 mm Edge. I thought...how can this pistol get this dirty after 5-600 rounds...slide would " slow down" as yours.

I dropped any and all CLP products.....clean the gun with Gunscrubber/ brake cleaner oil gun with SP10.

I carry a small bottle of oil in a needle dispenser in my bag and put a few drops on barrel and slide during a heavy shooting session....problem eliminated so far .....and keep an eye on the recoil spring...they are not that expensive.......my experiences....