Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Many Run Stock Glocks?

Bart Solo

I bought my Glock 35 around Christmas and have already changed the sights. There are numerous threads focused on changing trigger components. There are several aftermarket barrel manufacturers. Everybody seems to want to talk about this mod or that swap. Most of the mods or swaps can be handled by the user without resort to a gunsmith. So many people work on their own Glocks that folks seem to laugh at the idea that special Glock knowledge is necessary. Very, very few tools are required to do just about anything you want to your Glock. Glocks seem to be the tinker toys of the pistol world.

I am curious, does anybody around here run a stock Glock?

My production gun is a gen3 G34. For almost a year the only thing that was changed out were the sights for fiber optic.

Then someone gave me a zevtech v4 connector kit and the only thing I put in was the connector. YAY wolf primers.

So yea, some of us run stock ones but some people call them Blocks for a reason.

They are like legos.

Edited by LilBunniFuFu

The only people I ever see run a stock Glock are the guys who show up in the spring, with three mags in their back pockets and want to "give USPSA a try". My carry Glock isn't even stock. Glock sights are laughable and are always the first thing to go.

I ran a stock Glock yesterday. My god what a nightmare. I've been shooting Limited since I started in 2011, and needed a pistol for Run 'n Gun events (running/walking many miles with a rifle and pistol, through natural terrain and county roads, with stages interspersed throughout the course). Picked up a LEO-trade-in G22 from Summit. Seemed like I may as well give a shot at Production, so I did.

The trigger must have been 6-7 lbs, and miles long. The sights! Oh the sights. What trash. I shot tons of Alphas but had horrible trouble with full-size poppers steel at 25 yards. Part of the problem could have been the cold, as the whole match took place below freezing yesterday. But even at that, I could feel my fingers on most of the stages, as far as I can remember.

I normally run a STI Edge in Limited. My Production stage times were probably 50-60% longer. My mag changes were largely great, but some weren't and cost me some time, but the amount of time I had to spend really FOCUSING on the sights was incredible! Part of that was probably working the shabby trigger.

As soon as I got home I put in a 2 lbs connecter, polished up the goods, installed a 15 lbs recoil spring, ordered sights and a FLGR. I will also be relieving the area near the mag release. My thumbs are very curved, and I have trouble with the stock Glock mag release setup.

I ran a stock Glock yesterday. My god what a nightmare. I've been shooting Limited since I started in 2011, and needed a pistol for Run 'n Gun events (running/walking many miles with a rifle and pistol, through natural terrain and county roads, with stages interspersed throughout the course). Picked up a LEO-trade-in G22 from Summit. Seemed like I may as well give a shot at Production, so I did.

The trigger must have been 6-7 lbs, and miles long. The sights! Oh the sights. What trash. I shot tons of Alphas but had horrible trouble with full-size poppers steel at 25 yards. Part of the problem could have been the cold, as the whole match took place below freezing yesterday. But even at that, I could feel my fingers on most of the stages, as far as I can remember.

I normally run a STI Edge in Limited. My Production stage times were probably 50-60% longer. My mag changes were largely great, but some weren't and cost me some time, but the amount of time I had to spend really FOCUSING on the sights was incredible! Part of that was probably working the shabby trigger.

As soon as I got home I put in a 2 lbs connecter, polished up the goods, installed a 15 lbs recoil spring, ordered sights and a FLGR. I will also be relieving the area near the mag release. My thumbs are very curved, and I have trouble with the stock Glock mag release setup.

if you modify the grip that will be a no go for Production if you are talking USPSA

After years of playing with special springs, strikers, connectors, etc - I returned almost all my Glocks to "stock" except for the sights - all have replacement sights or Glock night sights now. I got tired of issues with light primer strikes unless I used specific primers (Federals). When ammo and components got hard to find, I needed to be able to ignite any primer in any ammo.

I have one G34 with a Vanek kit for Production and one G20 with a very light Vanek kit for Limited that are not stock and I carefully watch the ammo they get fed (and I do not use them for defense).

I hear plenty of people on another forum talk about Glock perfection and they think it is absurd to change anything that St Glock hath created. But the sights are not worth anything and the trigger is pretty horrible. These are of course my opinions an therefore mean very little....

My son has a stock G17 - but his scores are significantly better when he shoots my 34 so I am in process of ordering sights and trigger for the 17....unless I decide to buy a 35......

I can't stand the stock sights. They are the first things to go. Beyond that it depends on what you want to do with it. I consider a 3.5 lb connector and some polishing is a must for competition.

Glocks are really easy to work on and the availability of parts makes them perfect project guns.

To me the stock sights are more of a dovetail protector than an actual sight. The only mods my two pistols have are sights and an OEM minus connector. I am looking forward to the day when I think my gun is what is holding me back.

I doubt most of the people on this board really keep their Glock's stock. At the very least a few minor changes. Go over to GlockTalk and it's a completely different story. You'll be condemned to burn in the fiery pits of hell if you mention any modifications over there. Then they'll make you aware how your gun is probably more acccurate then you are so it's pointless to change anything.. lol

yah, anyway. Some Glocks i go all out on, and some i don't. Just really depends what i'm using it for. I have nothing against a completely stock Glock pistol, but as everyone said the sights are absolute garbage. It's better then just making the sights "mediocre", because it's not a hard decision on whether to change them or not. I prefer fixing up the trigger, but i don't mind shooting it stock. Glocks are fun because of how easy they are to learn and work on, theres a lot of parts to set the gun up for whatever purpose you're using it for, and they won't lighten your wallet too much getting you started.

Have observed that even those shooting the stock classes in GSSF will eventually change the stock sights, install a "-" connector if not so equipped, and do a polish job once they get serious......

HR

My stock class ones are how I got them in the box. But they are talo editions with nice night sights...

They are carry guns and sometimes I will run them in production for "practice"

Not too much worse if you are used to a 8.5 pound trigger.

Regular production gun is 5.5#

I understand why Glock uses the adjustable rear sight and I understand the finger grooves that started at Gen 3 (I think) as a way to score importation points on the BATFE importation score card. I can't see NOT changing to a better sight system either fixed or adjustable. Outside of changing to Trijicon night sights (fixed) my gen 3 Glock 19 is stock.

I have enough rounds through this 19 the triger bar face and striker face are "shot in" to each other, improving trigger feel. I carry this Glock, I shoot it in IDPA and wouldn't have any concerns about shooting it in a USPSA match. I shoot factory loaded ammo (although it is factory reloaded...can you say A. A.).

I don't shoot one but, if I were a bettin man I'd guess the Springfield XDm comes about as close to an outta the box ready as any semi-auto can.

Edited by Tom C

I have a G35 Gen 3 that is largely stock, I put the Ghost file to fit connector in it and put some grip tape on it. I shoot it in IDPA SSP. My carry gun is a G19 gen 3 that I installed Trijicon HDs in and swapped out the trigger to a 35 trigger and connector. I have a G17L that started life as a G22, so you can about guess how "stock" it is :)

Other than sights, sometimes some grip tape, and maybe the 25 cent trigger job (polish)...most all of my Glocks are stock.

If folks realized that they can be just as competetive with your "stock" type Glock, a whole side industry would crash and burn!

Better sights are a must for me. I replaced those right off the bat with Dawson FO front and a Heinie rear. Played around with a Jager FLGR and different spring weights, but after a couple FTRB while shooting SHO/WHO I went back to the stock recoil system of the Gen 4s. As long as the brass clears the ejection port I can't find anything wrong with the stock Gen 4 recoil system.

Dropped in a Vanek Classic trigger system over the weekend and still experimenting with it, but very favorable initial impressions. I've got the 4.5 lb firing pin spring installed with the OEM firing pin and no lite strikes so far. Reset is pretty quick, and the trigger pull is pretty impressive.

You can drive a station wagon on a race track ... But wouldn't a Corvette be more fun ??? And on the flip side ... If you were going to get groceries ... The station wagon be better!!! Kinda like having the right tool to get the job done !!! Personally... I want a toolbox full of tools ... The knowledge to know which tool is right for the job ... And the skills to use the tools!!!

I picked up a half dozen Glocks at an police auction--5 -22s and a 21--all gen 3s for $500 and fees

All had Trijicon night sights and very stock, all shoot just great--at 73 yoa I had to change the three

release buttons on all 6---one 22 has a dri fire laser system for in home daily draw and fire from

concealed at a dozen two inch square patches around the house--my wife at various times will yell

"threat" and I draw and fire at the only patch in sight--this weapon has a orange barrel tip and we

both enter "practice" mode by mutual agreement and leave the same way. There are no negligent

discharges in this household --my wife will move patches around

one 22 is set up with snap caps and magazines and gun (all color coded) and is just to practice clearing

malfunctions

I shoot ten rounds one a week at the local shoot house (25 yards)

one 22 is set up with a "laser Max" sight (in the guide rod) this is my back up weapon.

I carry the 21 in country for the lion threat around here

I carry a colt cobra 38sp for ultimate sneaky All strictly for self defense and I "front Sight" train