Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Pistol Prices

AICS308

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know they are nice guns and are custom built, but I just can't see paying $6400.00. I have trouble seeing $6400.00 of gun and labor and I don't care who the builder is. I am not knocking anybody who can afford one, but where does the cost come from?

Kind of hard for Brandon to get a price break for bulk parts when just about everything is made in house from billet. I'm sure that plays a small part in total cost.

You do realize that making parts in house on your machines that you own is cheaper than farming the manufacturing out to another shop that will charge anywhere from $65-$75 an hour for machine time, right? I get that the guns are nice and the parts are nice but machining precision parts is something that many machine shops do for many different industries. Everybody keeps making a big deal out of the billet parts, even though that isn't the expensive part of the gun. You pay SVI a boat load of money for labor and it is up to the consumer to decide if SVI is that much better at putting a gun together than any of the other top name pistolsmiths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realize that making parts in house on your machines that you own is cheaper than farming the manufacturing out to another shop that will charge anywhere from $65-$75 an hour for machine time, right?

Does that include the economic cost of making your own parts?

Edited by ericjhuber

Kind of hard for Brandon to get a price break for bulk parts when just about everything is made in house from billet. I'm sure that plays a small part in total cost.

You do realize that making parts in house on your machines that you own is cheaper than farming the manufacturing out to another shop that will charge anywhere from $65-$75 an hour for machine time, right? I get that the guns are nice and the parts are nice but machining precision parts is something that many machine shops do for many different industries. Everybody keeps making a big deal out of the billet parts, even though that isn't the expensive part of the gun. You pay SVI a boat load of money for labor and it is up to the consumer to decide if SVI is that much better at putting a gun together than any of the other top name pistolsmiths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Making parts in-house is not necessarily cheaper. Particularly considering the cost of dedicated high-end equipment, tooling, maintenance, and experienced people to run the operation. Quality materials and higher quality standards also add significant costs.

• 3 months later...

I am about to place an order for an SV soon and had a question on the grip sizes. How does the standard grip size compare to that of an STI grip? I did not like the grip size of the edge, was too damn big. I have only had the opportunity to handle one sv but that thing felt amazing. I do not know what size that grip was. Hopefully someone can comment on how their signature grip size compares.

You most likely felt a Signature sized grip. It is by far the most popular. Our large grip is about the same size as the polymer grip and our small is for folks with small hands.

Lee

Thanks for the explanation Lee! A good friend will be seeing his with the signature grip come in next month or two. It's so hard waiting to order to try his first after handling one recently!

I have spoke with Brandon and have my mind set on the options. Just didn't know what grip I had handled and figured I would try and wait till my friends came so I knew for sure. I know it's going to be a long hard wait but will be well worth it!

For what its worth I just pulled the trigger on a more basic custom IPSC/USPSA limited 5.4 sight tracker with rail and its running me 4.4K w. one mag.

Nice! I was going to get the same gun but decided to get the 5" instead.

I think they are worth the price and wait!

Carlosa,

You're in LA, stop by and talk with Taran about SV. He still shot their pistols after he was not sponsored by them, if my understanding is correct. There are some good builders in CA but Taran has SV as his main guns. Well, maybe until he got into the gun business.

I have had pistols built or rebuilt by two members of the Pistolsmith Guild. Both are excellent. Sandy is a member of the Pistolsmith Guild. That don't give them memberships to anyone. It has to be earned.

I own 5 SVs. I have shot Bedell and Dawson guns. They make good guns. But in my opinion SV is a superior in almost every way, parts, fit, and most importantly service.

I used SV parts in my old STI Trojan, which I do not shoot anymore I was impressed with their quality. I owned a STI wide body and sold it. I will pay more for an SV knowing how good they really are in today's market.

I recently sold my Open gun, the gentleman has some questions about opinions expressed by some other gunsmith. Brandon took the time to talk with him on several different occasion s. If my memory serves me correctly (which is suspect since I just got of of Chemo), he offered to fix anything that was wrong with the pistol -- free. How is that for service?? I offered to return the money if he was not satisfied. He is one happy camper with his pistol.

All my SVs shoot <1in at 25 yards with total reliability, one of them has over 60,000 round on the same hammer and sear. It still has the same trigger pull as when it was brand new. and is gnats ass accurate.

If SV is a Bentley then STI is Kia. :sight: flaming was not my intention. Bedell and Brazos make excellent guns out of STI basic guns.

I have spoke with Brandon and have my mind set on the options. Just didn't know what grip I had handled and figured I would try and wait till my friends came so I knew for sure. I know it's going to be a long hard wait but will be well worth it!

The Signature Grip is the way to go unless you have really large hands. I've felt them all, many times and all of mine have the Signature grip.