Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why don't we have "2 gun" competitions?

Jason you made my point for me. Competition is competition its not training. At best its no better training then just going out and shooting with your buddies on the weekend is training. At worst it will teach you very bad habits that will get you killed in the real world. Not to mention the fact that I don't think any of the organizations involved want to be tagged with the moniker of providing to paramilitary training when all they are really doing is hosting competitions.

3 gun will teach you how to be accurate at speed. It will not teach you any of the other parts that makeup full tactical training.

more importantly if you show up to a 3 gun competition kitted out like you are going to war you probably won't get too far. I don't know of anybody that shoots three gun in a plate carrier. There are some guys that use vests but they are far and few between.

now all that said don't get me wrong I have been to and participated in full tactical 2 gun matches with slings and the whole nine yards but those aren't real 3 gun style matches those are purpose built matches for lack of a better term. I guess the best comparison that I've heard is that a game uses a timer training uses a bullhorn

Edited by barrysuperhawk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look up 2-gun action matches. Pistol and rifle with a lot of cardio in the match. Like, throw a kettle bell and shoot from where it lands until you get down to a line. I've been trying to talk my local range guru to make it happen...to many people say any apparently.

Look up 2-gun action matches. Pistol and rifle with a lot of cardio in the match. Like, throw a kettle bell and shoot from where it lands until you get down to a line. I've been trying to talk my local range guru to make it happen...to many people say any apparently.

The shooting sports are supposed to measure shooting. I have hosted LEO and Military matches with PT included in the stages (running push ups etc) but thats not a good thing for everyone. We want our sport to allow anyone from a 16 year old girl to a 69 year old man to shoot and enjoy it. Not just the super body builder types. lol

Pat

Ha! Just saying it could add an element. Shooting under pressure. I'm also a believer in bringing the Rhodesian Wall back to uspsa, but that's just my opinion.

Uspsa and 3-gun already have an element of physical fitness to them if you think about it. The more in shape you are the easier it will be to shoot well or run a bit faster on a stage.

• 2 weeks later...

Funny, I was just telling someone today that our range is not really good for 3 gun due to the limited area and distance for the rifles and our range rules. I think I will try running a 2 gun match sometime this summer for shotgun/pistol. Maybe a division for pump/revolver shooters.

Funny, I was just telling someone today that our range is not really good for 3 gun due to the limited area and distance for the rifles and our range rules. I think I will try running a 2 gun match sometime this summer for shotgun/pistol. Maybe a division for pump/revolver shooters.

You can still do rifle with limited range. Use smaller targets. They make half size and even 1/3 size USPSA targets you can use.

Pat

There is such a thing. They have started to legitimize themselves now through a new National Body: USCA

I would be more interested in "Outlaw 3-Gun style" 2-gun.

USCA seems a little "tactical" for me.

I feel like "gun games" are just games and any attempt to employ tactically sound methods doesn't stand up to a timer as a judge. (It stands up to someone shooting at you with simmunitions/airsoft/paintball/etc)

out law is more tactical

we have been shooting out law since the mid 90's in n. carolina

haul all ur gear for the day

rifle and pistol day 1

shotgun and pistol day 2

ammo 'water

food

clothes

meds

etc all day and late into the nite.

its as tactical as u can get. most of the places we shoot are not even on the map

some are off base military ranges.

invitation only

no gamey shit. just real world guys and gear

a ball but was a big factor in the 3 gun evolution

no uspsa or idpa crap

ur work gear

jjw

Edited by jjw

Central Florida R & P Club in Orlando has MultiGun matches -

You can use rifle, pistol or shotgun - they're designed to shoot

all three guns, but you don't have to ...

I just shot the last two matches pistol only ...

Match before that I used pistol and rifle only.

You're right - it's a LOT of fun. :cheers:

did not know this, thanks

Most local multi gun matches only use 2 of the three guns on a stage. The logistics of 3 guns per stage are tough to pull off in a single day format. Find some in your area and check them out.

This is what I've seen, so to answer your question, that what most 3 gun matches are. They are set up fairly well.

• 3 weeks later...

There is such a thing. They have started to legitimize themselves now through a new National Body: USCA

I feel like "gun games" are just games and any attempt to employ tactically sound methods doesn't stand up to a timer as a judge. (It stands up to someone shooting at you with simmunitions/airsoft/paintball/etc)

out law is more tactical

rifle and pistol day 1

shotgun and pistol day 2

ammo 'water

food

clothes

meds

its as tactical as u can get. most of the places we shoot are not even on the map

invitation only

no uspsa or idpa crap

ur work gear

jjw

Does everyone have to wear 5-11 gear to shoot? lol.

Matches are not tactical they are games and they are fun.

Pat

out law is more tactical

rifle and pistol day 1

shotgun and pistol day 2

ammo 'water

food

clothes

meds

invitation only

no uspsa or idpa crap

ur work gear

jjw

Forgot to mention what is gamey shit one day ends up being used on military and police rifles the next. Funny story one instructor whom I will not name comes up here to give us instruction every couple of years. Nice guy but very old fashioned. He always accused me of being a gear queer. When I started running an off set sight he made fun of it and then the next year he was running a 1.5 to 5 Leupold on his rifle with a Aimpoint T1 in an off set mount. The reason why is because some SWAT guys showed him and he thought it was cool. I mentioned we have been doing that in three gun for a long time in open. The tactical teddy crowd does make me laugh at times and I used to be a member. Now I try not to take myself that seriously.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

In precision shooting, there are several 2 gun matches. Pistol/Carbine or Pistol/Rifle...a few 3Gunners do pretty well at them.

Kurt and Trapr ran a shotgun only match, which almost made me hurl even thinking about it when I started 3Gun, but even with the heat, I had one of my better match placements at their last one. I hated the shotgun and considered it an outdated POS up until about 2010. But things change and there are what, 8 "bigger than local" shotgun matches now. More variety in platforms, more variety in loading techniques...and I hear little, if any 3Gunners talking about ditching the SG now. There are even shotguns coming back to some LEAs who had dropped the platform. It is not just one thing, but a combination of factors.

I have no doubt that 2gun matches will still become more popular. Heck, NSSF Rimfire Challenge is a 2Gun match, and there are some very cool plans for the formats in what I consider an essential component to the overall health and growth of timer based firearms competitions. And if there is a timer, it is a game. Time is an essential tactic that can only be measured against a real threat, not paper and steel.

We started running two-gun matches (pistol/shotgun) in the winter (USPSA shuts down due to ice and snow so we stole their weekend) at my club. All the targets are steel and stages resemble USPSA/3-gun. It's wicked fun. If there's nothing near you and you want to do it, talk to the other club members and get something going.

-Jake

• 2 weeks later...

I still want to do Adam-12/TJ Hooker 2 Gun.

Revolver and Pump Shotgun!!! :devil:

I've even written a rule set:

Adam-12 Revolver/Shotgun Match

Equipment divisions:

All divisions: Revolvers must conform with USPSA revolver division equipment rules, except where noted. Shotguns must be of 12 guage, and manually operated. Optical sights and porting/compensators are disallowed for all guns in all divisions. Shotguns will use lead shot size #6 or smaller only.

Classic Division: Revolvers are not allowed to use moonclips; speedloaders are allowed. Shotguns may not be capable of holding more than 5 rounds + 1 chambered round at any time.

Modern Division: Moonclips are allowed. Shotguns may not be capable of holding more than 9 rounds + 1 chambered round at any time.

Scoring:

Targets will be USPSA targets (metric or classic), knock down steel, and/or clay pigeons.

All Targets: Any target not engaged will incur a 5 second penalty, in addition to the appropriate penalty for no hits on that target.

Steel targets: May be engaged with either revolver or shotgun, and must fall to score. Any steel target not knocked over will incur a 10 second penalty.

Clay Pigeons: May be engaged with either revolver or shotgun, and must break to score. One "BB" hit is considered to be a break. Any unbroken clay will incur a 10 second penalty.

Cardboard Targets: May be engaged with revolver only. Each cardboard target requires two hits within the scoring area, or one hit within the A/B zone to neutralize without penalty. Targets with one hit outside of the A/B zone will incur a 5 second penalty. Targets with no hits will incur a 10 second penalty.

Edited by dcloudy777

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To the idea of going broke at a 2/3 gun match.

We had small local club matches (30 or less shooters) and started to burn our safety officers out with long matches.

We went to what we called CQ matches. 3 stages. 30 hits combined per stage. Steel for rifle no farther that 150 yds. out.

Now we limit it to 24 shooters per match. At first it was rifle/pistol 2 gun. The blasters really wanted the shotguns involved

so we went to 3 gun. We can finish a match in 3 1/2 hours and have kept the ammo bill down to the point that locals who

can't spend the money traveling to bigger matches have the ability to participate. We really only have 4 bays that would

handle 3 gun stages so this was what we could do monthly with our facility and staff.

I went recently to a match at a club that isn't USPSA yet and so there stages were a bit different from what I am used to, while one didn't interest me much the others were fun. I would like to get into 3 gun later but would definitely like to do 2 gun (gear cost being one reason)

One guy I know wanted to start one where you had to wear a revolver and semi, use them both during the stage, with different hands. that would be a lot of fun I think.

Me and another buddy thought about an "impractical shooting" game, after the idiots here in CA banned 50bmg. Imagine carrying a 30lb rifle around, or trying to shoot it from inside a car. all while wearing your pants down below your ass :D

Red

I for one hope USCA does not adopt 3Gun rules in total. I like that accuracy is weighted heavier. I like limited time Comstock stages. Don't game it, hit it. The pistol dump rules even the field for transition time and so on.

I shoot 2 & 3. Like both and the differences.