Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger pull: is there such a thing as too light?

NicVerAZ

I agree. I have actually been fighting the same issue on my CZ TS. The trigger is only 1.5 lbs and the reset is VERY short. It took me about 3 matches to lean the feel of the trigger and stop "surprising myself" when the gun went off. I am considering trying to bring the weight up a little closer to 2 lbs, but I'm not exactly sure how. I have the factory hammer spring in it right now, but may try a even heavier one.

That light, is there a possibility of gun after recoil going back forward into your finger just enough for you to AD (depending on where your finger is with the trigger) - or basically create bump-fire situation if you are not careful? Seems like with the adrenaline flowing and movement, that might almost be to light?

I have a 3.5 lb trigger in my colt gold cup this is actually not bad, I have a 2.5 lb trigger in my sig tacops with a short reset.

The sig trigger is fantastic however the colt one is fine. The sig was over 5lbs to start with and felt horrible.

It is not necessary to go that light for a good trigger. A clean smooth trigger with no slop is what to look for. I have seen 3.5 lb triggers you would swear were set right around 2 lbs or a little under. They had a clean crisp break.

This.

IMO, for USPSA purposes, its all about having a nice crisp break, and a smooth, strong & short reset. I think the super light trigger fascination is pointless.

The trigger in my Bedell limited gun is a little over 3lb, but crisp. I promise you my splits do not suffer.

I had this conversation with several very successful Jedi-quality Single Stack shooters when I was trying to figure out who to build me a proper USPSA SS 1911 and what I should be asking for in regards to trigger setup. I had one who liked his below two pounds (I think he said 1.5 pounds was what he liked, but I don't remember the specifics now), but the rest were telling me that they came in just above the two pound mark which is what I ended up going with for mine.

So, yes, just based on my research going at one pound or lighter doesn't sound like a winning idea.

its an AD/DQ waiting to happen...pull weight is nowhere as important as a clean, crisp break...for a new shooter to the platform (which OP mentions) I was always advised not to make any significant modifications to the weapon for several matches/practice sessions for fear of trying to replace repetitious practice with un-needed modding...

YMMV but it has worked for me to heed this advice...

I've got 1.8# triggers on my Lim and SS guns. I was hesitant when I got my Cameron LIM gun, I'd always had 3-3.5# triggers. My gunsmith told me, "500 rounds and you'll never go back". He was right. 500 rounds through the LIM gun and I dropped off the Trojan SS for a trigger job, down to 1.8#, with just about no takeup. There is no trigger prep, it's a button. Keep your finger off of it until ready to fire.

I think anything below 1# has the ability to bump fire. Or fire when you are firmly seating a mag.