what's the avg. weight for a 3gun AR?

DrLove

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple more data points - just weighed these two (rifle with mounts/scope only, no bipod)

16" rifle w/ Burris MTAC = 8.5 lbs.

20" with Leupold 2.5x8 = 9.3 lbs

Current 18" build (SPR contour barrel, 15" CF HG, Vortex Razor 1-6x, JP ext mount) is 9lbs. 8oz.

16" LW build in progress (LW contour barrel, 15" CF HG, Vortex PST 1-4x, Aero mount) will be roughly 6lbs. 14oz.

I run a heavier stock on the 18" to bring the balance more to the rear. I could swap out to an ACE and be .5lb lighter if needed.

18" TacOps rifle for 2013 was in the 11-12lb range with vortex 1-6 in Larue lt-104 mount.

16" TacIrons/TacOps rifle for 2014 I under 6lbs with Aimpoint T1 and I haven't tried to figure out what the weight change will be from T1 to Vortex 1-6.

I went with a heavier 18" gun this year because it's what everyone recommended. I've lost around 20fps dropping 2" and 5lbs off the rifle, but my arms aren't real long and the 16" seems to fit me well. I shot the 16" at a single Gateway 3-gun match in TacIrons and was still able to beat out open and TacOps shooters just fine.

16" TacIrons/TacOps rifle for 2014 I under 6lbs with Aimpoint T1 and I haven't tried to figure out what the weight change will be from T1 to Vortex 1-6.

The Razor HD 1-6 weighs 25oz. A typical mount from someone like JP or the like will be in the 6-8oz range.

I started out shooting with a T1 and found my astigmatism made any kind of consistent shaped dot impossible.Too bad because I really liked it otherwise and the weight, or lack of, was another bonus.

The Razor HD 1-6 weighs 25oz. A typical mount from someone like JP or the like will be in the 6-8oz range.

I started out shooting with a T1 and found my astigmatism made any kind of consistent shaped dot impossible.Too bad because I really liked it otherwise and the weight, or lack of, was another bonus.

I have an astigmatism in my right eye as well, but have found it doesn't effect me much. My dot ends up like a teardrop and I use the top point at the sight in reference with power turned down. Never had an issue hitting the distance stuff this way.

Ok, enough thread drift, sorry.

Our 16" (DD LW barrel, 12" DD Lite handguard, CTR stock) is 8# with an Aimpoint T1 and loaded 30rd USGI magazine. With the Vortex 1-6 in a Larue SPR mount in lieu of the Aimpoint, it's 9.6#.

Anyone know how Triangle Shooting Sports (Benny Hill) gets their guns to be so light? I feel more re-assured that people are reaching high 8's to low 10's with their TacOp setups. I just thought I remember Triangle reporting almost a full pound lighter than what is being discussed here.

My two setups have me in TacOp at about high 9's to low 10's and TacIrons at about low to mid 7's.