Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for help diagnosing a 1911 feeding problem

tbarker13

Hoping someone might have some thoughts on this.

I've started having a problem with a new Les Baer. (still under 1,000 rounds)

It worked flawlessly with the factory recoil and main springs. But they are way heavier than I want for competition.
So I changed to a 14lb recoil spring and 17lb main spring.

Since then, I've started having failures to go into battery every 100 rounds or so.

Basically, the slide moves forward, strips a round off the mag, but then stops before going into battery. The problem is that the extractor claw isn't closing around the rim of the round. When I pull the slide back, the round stays in the chamber.

I'm shooting a 200 gr LSWC, around 170pf.

Rounds have all been chamber checked in the barrel of the gun. And if I take a misfed round out and put it back in the magazine, it feeds with no problem. So I don't think this is ammo related.

My guess is that the reduction in recoil spring weight is causing the problem. Maybe the slide isn't moving forward with enough force to reliably chamber the rounds?

Do I need to adjust the extractor tension? Move to an Aftec extractor?

Or is there something else wrong that I'm not thinking of?

I had three LBs years ago. One of which never would run, even after three trips back to the factory. I would go back to the springs that made it run until you have over 1K rounds through it. Then make your adjustments. LB slide to frame fits are usually ridiculously tight.

I think I'm going to start with the extractor.

I just don't think it's ammo-related. The exact rounds fed perfectly for the first 500 rounds. Then the problem started with the switch of springs.

These Les Baers do start incredibly tight. So I may end up having to go with a heavier recoil spring for a while.

The heavy spring could have had enough force that minimized the effects of an existing fault elsewhere. When you reduced the recoil spring weight, that was sufficient to strip the round alone from the magazine, the problems start to manifest itself. So it could be the extractor, the feed ramp, magazine combination together with the type of ammo you use.

Try round nose and fire it. If the problem goes away, then you know its not the extractor, but more of the ammo, feed ramp combination. If it persists, then you can look at extractor and the magazines as well. My two cents - isolate the cause first before tinkering.... and yes, lubricate the gun. 1911/2011 pistols like running with generous oil on them (not dripping though)

Is the barrel itself going into full lockup ? I know that baer guns have a very very tight fit and the lower recoil spring weight may not have enough push to get the lugs to lock up.

Maybe after a ton more rounds through it it may loosen up a bit more not sure. But it's one more thing to consider

Aftec will need to be fitted. Really like aftec's in 9mm and Super 38. Most 45's can be fixed by a little tuning on the extractor tension may be a little tight. If it feels good with the slide off, should just hold a round level. Then put a drop of oil opposite the extractor and a drop on the feed ramp. It's hard to over a 1911, they like oil, not a mist in the air on the first shot after cleaning and lubrication then you didn't use enough. I'm a fan of Mobil 1 5W30, stays and is plenty slick, easy to wash off when cleaning. Brownell's sells a little 4oz bottle oiler that works out great.

Bevel the bottom of the extractor so the round can start more easily, also you might relieve some of the tension on the extractor and that will also help the rim feed up into the ejector as it is supposed to do.

+1 Exactly what I had to do on a couple with similar feed problems. If you have the Weigand gauge and a good trigger pull gauge, check the tension and set it to about 15 - 20 ounces. Also, polishing the breech face sometimes help feed problems. Polishing the barrel throat does too, especially the top surface where the nose of the round rubs on as it feeds up.

(flame suit on)

When I had guns with such feed problems, I would very slowly "hand feed" live ammo by slowly cycling the slide forward to detect the "hang spot" where it is resisting. My first guess would be extractor, but you may also have a case where the round is hanging as it tries to get "over the hump" feeding into the chamber. That can be fixed by polishing and rounding over the top of the feed ramp slightly.

Anyway, if you isolate the point of the feed cycle where it drags, you can fix it.

ADD: sometimes rounding the feed lips on the mags helps so the round releases easier from the front edge of the mag.

Edited by bountyhunter

So far so good with the aftec extractor. 300 rounds since the install and no more of the extractor problem. I did have a couple misfeeds, which I'm going to attribute, for now, to the general tightness of the gun and the 14lb recoil springs. (along with the 20 degree weather I was shooting in).

The gun is slowly loosening up, but if the misfeeds continue, I'll switch to a 15lb spring for a few thousand rounds to see if that helps.

I have a Baer PII that I gave to my son to shoot when it had 96k rounds on it. Always used the Wolff variable 16.5 springs in it along with gobs of Slide Guide. When he got it he started messing around with springs and would have some issues with it..He tried 12 to 15 lb springs, and at 98k the ejector broke along with the lower lugs on the bbl. I sent it off to and had it rebuilt, and back running it with around 105K on it..Baers do take a little time to break in..