Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-Com super light buffer system.

kurtm

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've compared the TACCOM ULW to a standard carbine buffer, but not to a carbine buffer with the weights removed.

Tell you what, you can try my TACCOM ULW buffer with TTI spring in your rifle and see if you can tell the difference between it and the gutted carbine buffer....

Mick

I am currently running a JP low mass carrier in front of a regular CAR buffer with all the weights removed. It is a pretty light setup. Has anyone compared such a setup with the TACCOM setup? Worth the switch?

Gas system and recoil system should be treated separately....

You can.....

run a carbine gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a carbine gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a rifle buffer system

a carbine buffer system......would include a carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer and carbine buffer tube (or a rifle buffer tube with a correct length spacer)

a rifle buffer system......would include a rifle buffer spring, rifle buffer and rifle buffer tube.

It would be very bad to:

run a rifle buffer system with a carbine buffer spring

run a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with out the correct length spacer

Tim

Thanks for the response, this clears part of my question up.

All things being equal, bolt carrier, rifle length barrel, gas block etc., would there be a noticeable difference in recoil between a carbine buffer system as opposed to a rifle buffer system?

There really is not going to be a noticeable difference between the carbine or rifle system......however.....we just came out with a ALW Rifle Recoil System that allows you to adjust spring pre-load.......NOW....there can be a noticeable difference.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202261

Edited by TRUBL

Hmm.... for some reason my phone won't let me past the home page. The previous website always worked fine though.

Hey Tony......We are working on that issue......put in a temporary fix. AND.....we should have a permanent fix (and ongoing path) for the mobile devices tomorrow.

Thank you for bringing it up!

Therealkoop.......how is your issue going?

Regards'

Tim

Gas system and recoil system should be treated separately....

You can.....

run a carbine gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a carbine gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a midlength gas system and a rifle buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a carbine buffer system

run a rifle gas system and a rifle buffer system

a carbine buffer system......would include a carbine buffer spring, carbine buffer and carbine buffer tube (or a rifle buffer tube with a correct length spacer)

a rifle buffer system......would include a rifle buffer spring, rifle buffer and rifle buffer tube.

It would be very bad to:

run a rifle buffer system with a carbine buffer spring

run a carbine buffer in a rifle buffer tube with out the correct length spacer

Tim

I can also tell you from experience that a rifle length spring will physically fit and reciprocate in a carbine tube with a carbine buffer, however, cycling is hit-or-miss and lockback is "elusive". I blame the cryptic and non-descript part labeling system of the Wolff Springs family of products. :wacko:

Any plans on a carbine length buffer system with adjustible Preload?

What are the advantages of an adjustible preload? How does it differ from using an extra strength spring?

Thanks,

Chase

Hi Chase........we are looking into it, but I believe it will a little more involved.....doing the carbine version of this, I'm sure I can figure something out.

Here is the answer to the other question (from the dealer forum, someone asked this as well), note.....our intention in not to increase the pre-load, rather to decrease the pre-load:

Good Question HeyChris..........the reducing the pre-load, will not have much effect of the 'primary recoil' as you will be adjusting your gas to compensate for the extra speed of the lighter mass with a 'lighter' spring. Reducing the pre-load WILL effect the 'secondary recoil'.......which is the speed at which the lighter mass goes back into battery. Basically, you will have overall, smoother running rifle with the lighter BCG, TACCOM ALW and recoil system. This is the last piece of that puzzle for recoil managment......very similar to how people set up their 1911's for competition. What you should notice in the actual use of the weapon is the tightest possible double taps on paper. BOTTOM LINE......you do not want your rifle to move shot to shot and that being the case....you need to look at both primary and secondary recoil....or as some call it...'secondary impulse'

Our system will work with a 10% reduced recoil spring....however, you may be using more spacers (and we'd recommend 2) than if you were using a std recoil spring.

One thing to note with using a 10% reduced rate spring and our recoil system......you may get to a point where stripping rounds out of a magazine may be an issue, especially full mags......so you will want to test that as well, when setting up your BCG, TACCOM ALW and a TTI 10% reduced spring.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Argggggghh!

Still fighting with this setup. Nordic 18", Seekins adj block, voodoo bolt, ace ARFX rifle stock, JP enhanced rifle spring, taccom ULW rifle setup.

Last time I could only get bolt hold back using a carbine spring with the ULW rifle system.

The advice was the gas block wasn't aligned over the hole. I machined down the block to get a 100% alignment, verified no obstruction on gas system, block wide open, AND IT STILL WONT LOCK BACK. Ugh.

Before I left after wasting another $18 in range fees, I decided to try pulling the rear part of the ULW system out. Guess what, that worked great. I figure it's taking 3/4" preload off the spring allowing it to now run.

But this still doesn't work like it's supposed to (can you say sproioioing). That probably adds 3" travel to the front part of the buffer.

Next range trip (another $18 fees plus ammo), I'm bringing a std rifle spring. If that doesn't fix it, I'm buying a JP LMOS rifle buffer and will chuck the taccom. This is very frustrating.

It looks like taccom is suggesting a reduced power spring for there setup, the JP is an increased power unit. On my non adjustable gas rifle putting the higher powered JP immediately caused short stroking to the point that it wasn't even close to stripping a new round out of the mag. Not even possible to get bolt lock back. Put my standard rifle spring back in and I was back in business. Hope it helps.

Edited by TonytheTiger

It would be nice if taccom would at least suggest so, instead of making it look like any spring will do...

We do feel that using a Mil Spec spring (appropriate for the system you are using) is the way to go. Going with a 10% reduced spring would be fine.

We did get the system to work with higher power recoil springs.........but you will be living on the edge. The idea is not to go with more energy in your spring if you are going to lighten up your mass.....the idea is to go lighter.

Regards'

Tim

Edited by TRUBL

Its interesting to see this information about the lightweight RCA BCG. After I switched mine out I started having a few issues with the BCG hanging up a little somewhere in the carrier.....I cant see that its rubbing anywhere. Guess ill try changing out the gas ring.

Adding information, may help others.

I picked up a TTI 10% reduced rate recoil spring to use with the Taccom LW carbine buffer system, and I could not get my bolt to lock back at empty mag. Nordic 18" barrel, JP Low mass carrier and SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block, started at 0 clicks and adjusted all the way open, PMC 55 grain ammo, no luck. Threw my old milspec carbine buffer spring back in and the system was solid again at 10 clicks.

I still love the Taccom LW system, the rifle shoots soft. Anyone else having success with the TTI spring on a similar setup?

Edited by HeyChris

Your problem is most likely the small gas port on the Nordic barrel. It was designed to work without an adjustable gas block. A friend's rifle with the same barrel has his JP gas block wide open to get the rifle to bolt to lock back.

At 10 clicks, your SLR block is also virtually wide open as well....

Mick

• 1 month later...

I changed out the gas rings on my Rubber City Armory bolt and it still does not go completely into battery. Change back to a regular buffer and it works fine. I guess the LW buffer is just not for me.

Same here. I would really like to use the buffer and it does work as intended, just not happening for me at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

First post:

-I have a 16" mid with a Kies adj. gas bloc.

-Using a standard Spikes BCG

-Milspec Carbine spring and ULW Buffer

I ran it at the range and backed out the gas until it locked back. Gave it a hair more gas and it seemed to run great. Really smoothed out the whole cycling action.

Took it to a match and had some problems. It would load a round then "click" no bueno. I would rack another round and it would fire then "click". So I gave it a little more gas. Many failures after that. Indented primers, but no ignition. So I think my bolt is not locking up? At one point it was every round, so I put it up and borrowed a friends rifle to finish.

Any ideas? Could too much gas cause this? I am using Eno's slide glide on BCG, could this be an issue, slowing it down?

Guess I am just not sure if it is going to fast or too slow? The Kies GB is irritating a little bit in that the gas screw seems to turn so freely and it's hard to get a precise idea where it is at and it seems very sensitive. Might go with a SLR at some point. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! Relative noob to this stuff.

Sounds like not enough bolt velocity. for the action to close.

Could be a number of things:

- Is the gas block properly aligned and did it move at all?

- Are you sure the gas adjustment screw hasn't moved?

- Was there a temperature change between when you adjusted the block at the range and then shot it in a match?

Case in point. I tuned a JP 15 here in AZ on an 80 degree afternoon. Next morning, at 50F, not enough gas to cycle the action.

Mick

First post:

-I have a 16" mid with a Kies adj. gas bloc.

-Using a standard Spikes BCG

-Milspec Carbine spring and ULW Buffer

I ran it at the range and backed out the gas until it locked back. Gave it a hair more gas and it seemed to run great. Really smoothed out the whole cycling action.

Took it to a match and had some problems. It would load a round then "click" no bueno. I would rack another round and it would fire then "click". So I gave it a little more gas. Many failures after that. Indented primers, but no ignition. So I think my bolt is not locking up? At one point it was every round, so I put it up and borrowed a friends rifle to finish.

Any ideas? Could too much gas cause this? I am using Eno's slide glide on BCG, could this be an issue, slowing it down?

Guess I am just not sure if it is going to fast or too slow? The Kies GB is irritating a little bit in that the gas screw seems to turn so freely and it's hard to get a precise idea where it is at and it seems very sensitive. Might go with a SLR at some point. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! Relative noob to this stuff.

Friction........you need to decrease the friction between the Bolt and BCG. I've been using the McFarland gas rings with great success....others not so. JP also uses a variation of the McFarland gas ring....which I believe has be ever so slightly turned (ground) on the outside dia. have you ever noticed how easy the bolt goes in and out on a JP Low Mass carrier...compared to others out there? There's reason for that.

Regards'

Tim