Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-Com super light buffer system.

kurtm

For 39 bucks and free shipping I thought I would give it a try. Once in it would not lock bolt back with 3 different mags no matter what gas setting,and more impulse(not much) than the MGI rate reducing buffer I had been using so I took it out and put MGI in. This is in Rock River DEA model 16 inch with adj gas Young lite bolt carrier and Seekins comp

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm psyched to try this. With the jp light buffer and lmos carrier i'm getting doubles out of my CMC trigger. It was tough to get the bolt to lock back. Now that i have a seekins adjustable gas block the lock back issue is almost resolved but i got another double.

Hopefully this will cure what ails my gun or i'm going back to my full mass carrier

DANGER, DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!!!!!

With race parts comes race responsibility, i.e. don't run 85 octane unleaded ; )

YOU NEED TO CHECK VERY CAREFULLY THAT WHAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCING ARE NOT TRIGGER RELATED DOUBLES BUT SLAM FIRES!!!

CHECK THE FIRED PRIMERS: IF SOME OF THE ONES THAT ARE ASSOCIATED W/ THE DOUBLING LOOK LIKE A LITTLE VOLCANO GROWING BACK OUT OF THE PRIMER, IT IS SLAM FIRING (ALSO WILL BEND THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR FIRING PIN RETAINING COTTER PIN).

If you unload your chambered round after shooting and the primer looks like "HOLY CR@P! Why didn't that go off?" that is also a good indication of too much firing pin mass for the system operating speed.

I run titanium firing pins in my JP rifles w/ LMOS to avoid slam firing (I did have it SOME TIMES with standard steel firing pins) and JP alludes to this issue in their owner's manuals.

ericm

Threw in the Ti firing pin, no doubles at all. Still having lock back issues,so i changed to a wolff rifle buffer spring instead of the flat wound jp chrome silicon spring that was in there . Gonna go to the range tomorrow to see how she hunts. But i'm happy that i didn't get any doubles =) Well slam fires as it were

For 39 bucks and free shipping I thought I would give it a try. Once in it would not lock bolt back with 3 different mags no matter what gas setting,and more impulse(not much) than the MGI rate reducing buffer I had been using so I took it out and put MGI in. This is in Rock River DEA model 16 inch with adj gas Young lite bolt carrier and Seekins comp

I'd be interested in finding out if your adjustable gas block wasn't adjusting like you thought. I had the same issue with a .308 rifle that had a PRI adjustable gas block, upon having it checked out at GA Precision, it was discovered that there was a blockage. Once the gas block was cleaned up, the rifle was perfectly tuned in 20 minutes.

I've had the ULW buffer system for a couple weeks or more and have around 450-500 rounds thru the gun with it. I removed the JP Silent Captured system when I out it in. Current gun is fairly light...under 6lbs with T1 and no mag, and running a Rubber City lightweight carrier. Adjustment was 3/4 turn less gas with Syrac block to lock back reliably on the mag compared to the JP system, but I had to open it back 1/4 turn when the temp dropped below 20 degrees and would cycle but not lock back. Recoil feels lighter and I don't notice much of any difference at 15 yards for a V-Drill, but begin to notice it a lot more for shots at 25-30 yards on 1/2 IPSC paper, and much more on steel and paper at 50-100yards. So far I'm impressed with the buffer system and plan to run it all next year.

It is a chrome silicon spring

AND....Blaster....I am running both 55gr and 75gr rounds thru a carbine barrel, adjustable gas, JP carrier, TACCOM UL buffer system.......having no problems with lock back. Using lower gas than I was with the std system and I've been actually quite surprised at how NOT violent the carbine system is with this set up. I merely did this for testing purposes after reading your post. It's sort of opening my eyes for a new set up for next year.

Tim

We've done all our testing with adjustable gas systems. Using full gas is going to send your bolt back faster (and sooner) than we'd like to see. This is why we'd like to see you re-calibrate your gas system when you install our UL recoil system. It's one thing to reduce the weight of the BCG/buffer combo.....the other part of the equation is to slow that mass back down to the original 'speed' or less. This is what will make your felt recoil is less AND....it will reduce the secondary impulse.

Tim

Tim,

What are your thoughts on using your buffer system with a lightened Rubber City BCG, Nordic barrel, and non-adjustable Carbon Arms gas block? Is the smaller diameter gas port on the Nordic barrel enough to throttle the gas such that this lightened BCG/buffer combo won't cycle too fast?

We've done all our testing with adjustable gas systems. Using full gas is going to send your bolt back faster (and sooner) than we'd like to see. This is why we'd like to see you re-calibrate your gas system when you install our UL recoil system. It's one thing to reduce the weight of the BCG/buffer combo.....the other part of the equation is to slow that mass back down to the original 'speed' or less. This is what will make your felt recoil is less AND....it will reduce the secondary impulse.

Tim

Tim,

What are your thoughts on using your buffer system with a lightened Rubber City BCG, Nordic barrel, and non-adjustable Carbon Arms gas block? Is the smaller diameter gas port on the Nordic barrel enough to throttle the gas such that this lightened BCG/buffer combo won't cycle too fast?

TACCOM does not recommend using the UL Recoil System with out an adjustable gas block. I know that barrel was designed with a smaller gas port, but still.....we've been seeing that adjustable gas systems needing to be turned down 1/2 turn with RCI and JP carriers.

The Nordic barrel's gas port is still too large for this application and in our opinion, needs to be regulated down.....to get the full benefit of our sytem.

Tim

Tim is correct. If you already have a CA gas block, you can easily add adjustment to it. There are some prototypes that another firearms manufacturer asked us to make for him that went into a military trial set up that way. They took a licking and kept on ticking when all the other gasblocks failed.

Drill and thread from the side and install a screw for the adjustment...I'd use a JP carrier as well.

I'll assume that you you are going to take off the gas block......

The screw size is #8-32 I believe......and pretty much at the mid point (add .020 high) between the barrel bore and gas tube bore......you should not need to remove the gas tube

Tim

The screw size is #8-32 I believe......and pretty much at the mid point (add .020 high) between the barrel bore and gas tube bore......you should not need to remove the gas tube

Tim

There you go.

Tim

There you go.

Thank you, gentlemen.

I received the Buffer and spring today. Grabbed my rifle and ran out the door.

Got to the range, pulled out the JP lightweight buffer threw in the taccom stuff, shut the gas off all the way and loaded a mag.

Took a couple of rounds of adjusting the gas block to were it would lock back the bolt.

Once I got that squared way, I started at 50y and shot at a 9-10" pie plate with quick splits, probably .25s (it was 30 degrees and I don't have a fast trigger finger as it is) All hit landed in the pie plate. Threw the JP back in and immediate noticed more movement.

The only issue and I'm not sure if it is an issue is that the gun is louder when it locks back, it definitely make a louder pop then compare to the JP buffer. Not sure if it unlocking too soon and I should use less gas.

Overall I am very happy with how the gun shoots with the Taccom buffer

It should actually be about the same for being quiet.....you may want to recheck your gas system. The BCG might be moving too fast still, less gas may be needed.

Tim,

Is the buffer spring included in your kit?

By the way. The .22 lite weight barrel you sent me is super!

It should actually be about the same for being quiet.....you may want to recheck your gas system. The BCG might be moving too fast still, less gas may be needed.

Tim,

Is the buffer spring included in your kit?

By the way. The .22 lite weight barrel you sent me is super!

Yes.....we include and recommend using our spring in the kit.

AND...thanks for the kudos!!!

Merry Christmas

Tim

Is there a length difference between this and a standard carbine buffer? It looks shorter and makes me wonder if it will put a strain on the bolt catch like a 9mm ar does

The buffer is a 2 piece system.....1/2 of it moves....the other 1/2 is a stop. The over all length is identical to the standard carbine buffer. Once set up with your adjustable gas system, it will put no more strain on any part of the AR15 parts than the original buffer system.

Tim

Yes.....we include and recommend using our spring in the kit.

Tim

Tim - Is the buffer spring in the kit a mil spec carbine buffer spring? Curious for spare parts purposes.

It is.....we actually get these from Stoner and they are a Chrome Silican Spring. It's a very clean spring from a reliable source.

No reason to hold back secrets here.

Tim