Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tac-Com super light buffer system.

kurtm

Thanks for the responses fellas.

-The gas block hasn't moved. Plenty of gas from port as the gun was overgassed, so I went to the adj. block.

-Similar temperature to when I set it (with 10-15 degrees)

-I am UNsure if the adj. screw moved, and I am thinking it actually opened up a bit

-gas ring wear should be fine, but I will check, thanks for suggestion

-I'll inspect the bolt/bcg friction and think about a new gas ring

Thing is, it was working great, so I hesitate to throw any money or parts at it.

I suspect that there is too much gas. This is the irritating thing about the Kies: no detents. If it had detents this would be a lot easier as I could note precisely where it is at. Because of the sensitivity of the adj. screw (1/10 turn makes big difference) it is hard to know exactly where it was/is.

If it was too much gas, what would the symptoms be the same? Do the two buffers contact each other in normal operation?
Or, if the front buffer contacts the rear buffer does that slow down the whole cycle by "soaking up" some of the spring power similar to a shock on a car or motorcycle bottoming out?

Edited by NoKimberDave

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First post:

-I have a 16" mid with a Kies adj. gas bloc.

-Using a standard Spikes BCG

-Milspec Carbine spring and ULW Buffer

I ran it at the range and backed out the gas until it locked back. Gave it a hair more gas and it seemed to run great. Really smoothed out the whole cycling action.

Took it to a match and had some problems. It would load a round then "click" no bueno. I would rack another round and it would fire then "click". So I gave it a little more gas. Many failures after that. Indented primers, but no ignition. So I think my bolt is not locking up? At one point it was every round, so I put it up and borrowed a friends rifle to finish.

Any ideas? Could too much gas cause this? I am using Eno's slide glide on BCG, could this be an issue, slowing it down?

Guess I am just not sure if it is going to fast or too slow? The Kies GB is irritating a little bit in that the gas screw seems to turn so freely and it's hard to get a precise idea where it is at and it seems very sensitive. Might go with a SLR at some point. Any ideas? Thanks for any help! Relative noob to this stuff.

This is the same problem that others are experiencing with the ULW buffer and the RCA carriers. Id say the BCG isnt fully locked up. If it happens consistently, take it out and fire one round at a time, inspecting the BCG after each shot. It took me a while to figure out that it was just ever so slightly out of battery on mine. The hammer dropping was forcing it into battery, so if I dropped the hammer and got a click, the issue became invisible.

just switching gas rings may not help. if the rings are too tight in the carrier they cause quite a bit of drag that can be enough to stop the spring from pushing the carrier all the way back into battery after the bounce you get when it first closes.

If I can't get it working with the stuff I have I am ditching it and going back to my old buffer and spring, which never failed. Although the smoothness is nice! And it being a relatively cheap part, it's not going to hurt much either way. I can stick it in the pile and revisit it later.

I have found at my level of shooting (not a champion by any means, lol), reliability is the key factor in me scoring decently. The thing about the regular buffer is that if you give it too much gas, is still functions.

That said, I am not throwing the towel in yet.

My 16" microMoA barrel with mid length gas and SLR gas block runs super smooth with the ULW buffer system. JP LMOS bolt/carrier, tuned to run with 2700 fps hosing ammo. The SLR block is 1.5 turn from close, comparing to 2 turns from close when used with the standard carbine buffer, so it if decides to puke on me later, just need to open up 1/2 turn. Time will tell but just like a race car, the reliability window is so much more narrower than an everyday car.