Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy Rounds

Shaky

I have been looking for some Fiocchi Dummy rounds to practice loading for months. It looks like they are discontinued. Does any body have a line on some or can someone offer an alternative. I sold all my 12 gauge reloading stuff or I would just make some myself.

Thanks!

Shaky

Last time I just bought a box of the Remington dummy rounds from Brownell's I think?

I had done the same, and I bet them up and needed some new ones. I backordered them, and got an email from Brownells the other day that they were discontinued and would be canceled from my backorder.

I have a stupid question. I reload so I would like to know how one makes dummy rounds? I too have been trying to get some and thought about making them myself. Is there something special that you fill the hull with?

Thanks!!

I have been looking for some Fiocchi Dummy rounds to practice loading for months. It looks like they are discontinued.

Dosen't seem to make much sense does it? 3-Gun participation is exploding and guys buying gear right and left and NOW they discontinue production? Seems like they made them for years and nobody bought them much. All of the sudden they sell out and are relieved to have sold off that dusty inventory and will be hanged if they ever make any again. Except guys WANT them and can't get them.

Same thing for me as well. Had them on backorder and then discontinued.

I picked up a new Lee Load All 2 for like $50 (optics planet with free shipping and a 10% coupon). I will pick up some wads and shot and have at it. I will pick up the spent hulls from matches and the trap range.

I'll make some for myself and some for guys at the local club for a small fee. I'll have the Load All paid for in a couple boxes of rounds.

I was planning on popping out the primer so that it's obvious that they are dummies. I don't think you would want to or need to drop the firing pin on a reloaded dummy. I have a couple Azoom snap caps if I need to do that.

Bob

all the ones I've felt and handled, did not feel like the Win AA's I shoot in a match, and did not pull from my Taccom Qualoads like the AA's. I practice with live ammo as much as I can, I just unload them through the loading port instead of chambering them. Removing the firing pin gives added comfort as well.

• 2 weeks later...

They're back in stock at Carbon Arms if anyone is interested

http://www.carbonarms.us/Shotgun-Accessories/12G-Dummy-rounds.html

$35 minimum order...

Dang, didn't know that. I ordered them when I ordered my pinwheel.

ETA: I thought about just ordering four to hit that minimum. Got a shipping quote for $17.75 USPS. No thank you! lol

Edited by johnsons1480

I was talking to someone this weekend that makes his dummy rounds without shot. He said he did it this way because the extractor is designed to pull and throw empty shells, not full loaded weight. Any thoughts on this??

Edited by zachvu

I just loaded some dummy rounds up. I bought a Lee load all on sale for $45 and a bag of 500 wads for around $10. A buddy gave me some shot a couple of years ago. My thinking is I can load as many as I want for around $55. Not bad when you pay $35 for a minimum order or can't find them anywhere else. Just my thought.

I was talking to someone this weekend that makes his dummy rounds without shot. He said he did it this way because the extractor is designed to pull and throw empty shells, not full loaded weight. Any thoughts on this??

My thought is it might be fine for proving dummies or such but not for load practice. And, like most here I usually don't cycle them trhough the action anyway, except the odd shell from "oh-s**t" empty chamber reload practice.

• 4 weeks later...

after not finding any dummy loads,I made some up using spent hulls, nuts n bolts and hot melt glue. AFter loading the metal I covered the hardware w hot glue, let it cool, then cut it to size w a PVC pipe cutter. Works great,weight feels nice also.will post pics later