Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dummy Rounds

Shaky

I tried loading a new shot cup and hot glueing shot into some spent hulls with mixed results.

I don't currently own a shotshell reload set up so the recrimping the dummys was not too pretty and the ends of the shells were inconsistant.

I have 4 Azooms which are working for now.

I came up with a few dummy loads a few days ago. My intent was to add enough heft to feel some heft but not stress the mechanics. My solution was to use a short piece of hose with a lead bullet seated in each end of said hose. As the shell is being crimped it compresses the lead into the hose, thus creating a firm load with a nice crimp and moderate weight. After a couple of short sessions I am rethinking this speed loading thing. You guys who are good at this must really have long hands!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was talking to someone this weekend that makes his dummy rounds without shot. He said he did it this way because the extractor is designed to pull and throw empty shells, not full loaded weight. Any thoughts on this??

I"ve cycled my full weight reloaded dummies hundreds of times thru my VM practicing load 2 and never had a problem. Can't see how you could practice effectively with such light loads.