Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead bullets in a comped open gun?

jedmyers

The comp buildup aside, does anyone shooting lead have problems with the lens? I've got a sideway (Quinn II) mounted C-more on a STI Match Master and after just a mag or two with my 130gn lead RN the lens is fogged up. Sometimes I have to use something to scrape the buildup on the lens off. Running N105, thinking about switching to N350. I have yet to see a sideways mount with a blast shield, so I'm wondering how others solve the issue. My barrel is not ported, only comped.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The comp buildup aside, does anyone shooting lead have problems with the lens? I've got a sideway (Quinn II) mounted C-more on a STI Match Master and after just a mag or two with my 130gn lead RN the lens is fogged up. Sometimes I have to use something to scrape the buildup on the lens off. Running N105, thinking about switching to N350. I have yet to see a sideways mount with a blast shield, so I'm wondering how others solve the issue. My barrel is not ported, only comped.

CLR works great to clean of the lens.

• 3 months later...

I just ordered some bayou bullets to run in my open guns really excited to try them

How did the Bayou bullets run in your gun? I am really curious how much leading of the comp is observed. Does anyone run these in open?
I have close to 1500 124gr rn Bayou Bullets through my open gun so far. Not seeing any lead. There is a little build up of the coating but it comes right out. I may never buy another jacketed bullet.

I run coated lead 124 gn lead proj in my open gun at major with 8.7gn vv3n38 under them.

My gun has around 25000 of these through it over 2-3 years, I've never cleaned the comp.

There's a little lead at the bottom of the comp, but not much.

A couple of times I've checked the "bore" of the comp as back in the day with non coated lead bullets you would sometimes get a slight build up there which could cause accuracy issues, doesn't seem to happen with the coated bullets.

I have a 90 mounted c-more, I give it a wipe after each stage in a match, but in training it will take 100+ rounds before I realise it needs a clean...

These bullets group 2"@ 25m off a sandbag, I can see the dot moving a little so I think out of a ransom it would be one ragged hole.

Other coated bullets won't group out of my gun, so the right match for yours may take some finding....not sure if this is case with jacketed.

I made the mistake many years ago of switching to jacketed for a major match(to be "better'), this when major was at 175.The higher pressure caused by the jacketed proji's pushed me into flowback issues, and a trashed match.Think I was running 10.5 gns 571, I did test before the match but.....oh well....

I never notice any smoke when shooting.

Edited by rangedog

I just went from bayous to the blue bullets. no smoke with the blue bullets. While resetting steel at a match last month, I found chunks of lead on the ground with the blue poly coating still on it. I hear they just got new 124 gr molds without the grease ring, can't wait to try them.

I use Rainier plated bullets with a 90 degree cmore. I burned up some lead bullets I had laying around during a practice session last Sunday, and lens splash was NOTICEABLY worse. I have one 3/16 popple hole in the barrel, which seems to be the culprit. Lead residue in the comp usually blasts out after switching back to jacketed/plated bullets. This was the first time I went back to lead since switching from Fastfire to Cmore, and I won't shoot them again. Literally could not see through the glass after 100 shots.

A couple of times I've checked the "bore" of the comp as back in the day with non coated lead bullets you would sometimes get a slight build up there which could cause accuracy issues, doesn't seem to happen with the coated bullets.

Back when I was shooting 9x21 Major, I ran some very hard 147 gr lead bullets (uncoated). I also would have a slight buildup of lead in the "bore" of the comp. Along with the usual cleaning of soaking the barrel and comp in a 50/50 solution of peroxide and white vinegar, I would run a compensator alignment reamer to knock off the rough spots.

A big benefit of lead bullets versus jacketed, you will never shoot out the bore. I had well over 75,000 lead rounds down that tube with no loss in accuracy. After I switched over to jacketed bullets, I finally shot out the bore.

Interesting thread. I just received some 124 gr BBI with their new coating. I've loaded some with Autocomp, HS-6, and A#7 to experiment with. I'll add on here with what I'm able to observe.

JimInFL

I loaded up some 125 gr BBI bullets with the new coating and no smoke. Got 170PF with 6.7gr Autocomp compared to 7.2gr Autocomp with 124gr MG CMJ. Accuracy with BBI bullets was no different than the MG at 20 yards. Same powerfactor with less gas though.

I loaded up some 125 gr BBI bullets with the new coating and no smoke. Got 170PF with 6.7gr Autocomp compared to 7.2gr Autocomp with 124gr MG CMJ. Accuracy with BBI bullets was no different than the MG at 20 yards. Same powerfactor with less gas though.

I had the same results and am very pleased as they are great for my shot out bbl