Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead bullets in a comped open gun?

jedmyers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know why open shooters (especially 9 major) don't use a moly type bullet, moly/lead on avg. can yields a 8-10% fps increase, plus we know what lead/moly does " it smokes" Why not use that smoke to be redirected upward to create stability in the gun? I know shooting moly coated bullets in a limited gun feels a lot softer than jacketed bullets imho, so I believe it might/could translate to shooting open as well.

I know that lead/moly coated bullets are a pain to clean, especially lead. Personally I think it should be tried, to see what the end result would be. who knows you might like it...

I used lead bullets in a 9x21 for several years when jacketed were hard to come by and somewhat expensive for my taste. Like others said, you will need to spend a little extra time cleaning the lead out of the comp.

In my case, since I wanted to make major, I used the hardest 147 gr bullets I could find. The extra weight allowed me to back off on the velocity a bit. (We were still shooting 175 PF back then.)

To make cleaning a little easier, I would soak the barrel and comp in a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and peroxide. This solution would loosen up the lead a bit and made cleaning much easier. Just be sure you only soak steel parts for a few minutes. It can eat up your comp if left in too long. Stainless steel seems to not be affected.

Just don't go too long between cleanings. A thin film of lead removes much easier than a thick built up layer.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

we know what lead/moly does " it smokes" Why not use that smoke to be redirected upward to create stability in the gun?

Shot lead bullets at the Barry Nationals in 1986. It turned out the early morning weather was very cool and humid. My first stage that day required we drop down to prone and shoot through a very low port. Fired two shots and all the targets disappeared. It was not my best stage.

Lead bullets with the wrong weather conditions makes a lot of smoke.

I don't really know why open shooters (especially 9 major) don't use a moly type bullet, moly/lead on avg. can yields a 8-10% fps increase, plus we know what lead/moly does " it smokes" Why not use that smoke to be redirected upward to create stability in the gun? I know shooting moly coated bullets in a limited gun feels a lot softer than jacketed bullets imho, so I believe it might/could translate to shooting open as well.

I know that lead/moly coated bullets are a pain to clean, especially lead. Personally I think it should be tried, to see what the end result would be. who knows you might like it...

It's a lot of smoke blasted up, but no more gas.

I don't want an increase in velocity for a lower charge. I want a high charge weight that makes more gas which means the comp works better. I also don't wanna clean lead out of the comp. loading for open guns is. Nothing like working up a limited load

what will lead do to a compensator on and open gun? would there be any other possible problems? im specifily talking abour an open glock pistol. thank you

I don't want an increase in velocity for a lower charge. I want a high charge weight that makes more gas which means the comp works better. I also don't wanna clean lead out of the comp. loading for open guns is. Nothing like working up a limited load

is original poster Ekujustice???

I am aware of the differences of load development between the two guns.

If you don't want to clean the comp, then shoot bullets that are a cmj's or hollowpoints and don't use lead. That's the easy answer.

As to Original Poster if its not Ekujustice, your comp will lead up faster shooting lead/moly I would imagine. I shoot strictly hollowpoints through my open guns and I still have to clean the comp out with a dental pick, but I can only imagine the plaque buildup after shooting lead/moly through it. I think if you keep the comp clean than I wouldn't see a possible problem shooting lead/moly, except for the smoke.

Nope I am not the OP. I was referring to the reason that people are not using Moly/lead bullets in open is they do not want to make PF with less powder as your giving up the gas that that extra powder produces to help work the comp. While you have to clean any comp the lead bullets will make one clean the comp a lot more often and its a chore to remove. Being the glocks are aluminum you cant use the easy way to clean lead out of an item like you can with stainless

Most of the open shooters in my area are using bear creek bullets, when I moved to open I jumped on the band wagon. 147 grain BCB with 6.5 HS6 makes for a soft shooting load that doesnt break the bank. You will get some leading with the comp, however I shot a bit of one shot lube in the comp before the shooting starts to prevent build up. My friend told me that he cleans about every 5000 rounds. Also unlike with FMJ/JHP your barrel bore will last forever.

I use lead for my steel loads can't remember the load exactly but its just enough to make the gun work. The comp doesn't lead up that bad and I clean it out with a pick every once in a while. I've tried to develop major pf loads with lead but they leaded the barrel to fast and I thought that would effect accuracy so I gave up. I've never tried a coated bullet but plated work fine even at major pf you just can't over crimp them.

Try the Bayou bullets, I switched to these and haven't noticed any more build up then if I was using plated bullets. I shoot them in a M&P 9mm with a Storm Lake barrel and a Carver comp.