Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lead bullets in a comped open gun?

jedmyers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any of you guys have popple holes?? Or anyone test 115's?? I'm curious if the same results will occur with the lighter bullet/higher velocity & popple holes.

I got those PF's with my 9 major Akai Katana that has 6 small barrel holes. I did load the 125gr BBI bullets with 7.2gr Autocomp and was getting 178PF with still no smoke. I would suspect even with the 115's you will achieve the velocity you want at a lower charge than when using the same bullet weight of jacketed or plated.

Donnie from Bayou Bullets sent me some 115's in a new coating, it's kind of copper colored (not gold thought). I pushed them well over 1500FPS. They are very accurate, but I did get some buildup in the comp. Not sure if it was lead, or the coating. Anyone willing to post pics of their comp?? Also has anyone used the new BBI bullet??

• 2 months later...

Resurrecting this older topic. Hoping for more opinions and experiences now that we've had more opportunity to play.

Well I've been experimenting with the 124 BBIs in my open gun using WAC, A#7, HS-6.

Some general observations, as compared to MG/Zero 124/125...

Given the same charge weights, these bullets produce much faster velocities. For example A#7 @ 9 gr (BBI), is faster than 9.8 gr with MG.

I clean my gun every match, but I really don't think I'm seeing any lead build up anywhere in the gun that's drastically, or even noticeably to me, different.

They smoke.

Bottom line - The jury is still out. I REALLY WANT to love these things - they open a lot of options for loading. I just don't know if I can get past the smoke. If you post and say "I don't get much smoke", then I stand in envy.

JimInFL

Edited by JimInFL

Ive been doing the same thing

I got sample packs from BBI and blue bullet co.

They both use less powder than jacketed, in my case 3/10 of a grain of ramshot sil.

The BBI are slightly faster than the blue bullets with the same load

The blue bullets are easier to load because the bottom of the bullet is slightly rounded, the BBI has a corner

I didn't notice much smoke with the Blue bullet, I did with the BBI

I saw no leading in the barrel, but I am getting lead buildup in the comp, about the same as shooting open base fmj

they group about the same

The black BBI's look taci-cool

The blue bullets look gamey

I'm trying the extreme heavy plate next

I have used cast and Bayou coated. The cast dirtied the comp which was pretty easy to keep clean but I thought fogging up the glass on the c-more was a problem. Have found little difference shooting coated Bayou and jacketed, no comp build up.