Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Powder for 9mm and 45

Smitty79

I will probably start reloading this winter. I shoot a G34 (I have a CZ out for a trigger job that I may switch to) for 3 gun and steel and intend to pick up IDPA soon. I also have a 45 that I want to shoot for fun and maybe IDPA CDP.

I am trying to find a good basic powder that I can use to work up loads for both guns as I learn about reloading. I will try other powders later. But I want something that's a good place to start.

Based on reading and recommendations from the guys I shoot with, I am considering Titegroup, WST and 231. I haven't found any of these on the shelf. Are they all good? Are there others that clearly meet my needs?

HP38/231 is an excellent choice for reduced loads in both calibers. WSF works well for reduced loads in 9mm, and is adequate for .45. International Clays works well for loads approaching full powder, but doesn't give a complete burn on 'bare PF' loads.

If you are using lead bullets in the 45, Clays (plain Clays) is GREAT. But I wouldn't use it in 9mm... too fast for the small case capacity.

If I HAD to pick one powder for both it would be HP38/231 (same powder, different can).

I just started reloading this year as well. It is very enjoyable. I use Titegroup and have been very happy with both 9mm and .45 cal loads.

Have fun reloading. As my reloading mentor told me, "You will not save any money reloading. You will just shoot more!"

HP38/231 works for both, great all around powder to start with, most all places carry it also because it's such a versatile powder making it easy to find.

Greg

Absolutely! If I could only have one powder 231 would be it. There is always a jug of it under my bench despite my constant tinkering with other powders trying to find something that works better.

Clays is excellent in 45. I use a lot if it in 45 ACP -and 12 gauge.

Universal is good in both 9mm and 45. Also excellent for 20 gauge and 28 gauge. I use a fair amount of this too.

Don't overlook good old Bullseye in 9 and 45. It works very well in both. Also another powder I like to keep on the shelf.

But if I could only have one pistol powder it would be 231 to cover all cartridges.

Clays and Titegroup can be a tad bit dangerous for new reloaders to start with...very easy to double charge a case if your reloading habits are not sound. I would recommend Alliant Power Pistol...meters well, fairly cheap and clean, and virtually impossible to double charge a case. It is very versatile, it can be loaded in everything from .380 all the way to 44 mag. While maybe not the best powder for everything (it can be loud and flashy, and sometimes the recoil impulse can be stiff in hot loaded rounds), it is extremely safe for a newb reloader to start with. Once you have you reloading habits down pat (if they are good habits!), you can venture out into open water, so to speak.

Clays and Titegroup can be a tad bit dangerous for new reloaders to start with...very easy to double charge a case if your reloading habits are not sound. I would recommend Alliant Power Pistol...meters well, fairly cheap and clean, and virtually impossible to double charge a case. It is very versatile, it can be loaded in everything from .380 all the way to 44 mag. While maybe not the best powder for everything (it can be loud and flashy, and sometimes the recoil impulse can be stiff in hot loaded rounds), it is extremely safe for a newb reloader to start with. Once you have you reloading habits down pat (if they are good habits!), you can venture out into open water, so to speak.

I agree. One of my influences about powder choice is that I want to use a powder that will spill all over the shell plate upon double charge thus signaling a complete screw up move. That's why I use N320 and 7625. I sold my jug of Titepoop when I realized that I could triple charge a 9mm load without any spillage. I will always consider myself a newb at reloading cause I learned how to do it from the internet mostly. The guys like GrumpyOne learned before the invention of computers.... the real tough guys!

Solo 1000 is my favorite powder for 9 minor and works great for 45 also. N320 is just as good but expensive and harder to find. I have also used WST with good results in 9. 231 is a great versatile powder, but I prefer the feel of the other powders I mentioned.

As most know Winchester 231 and Hodgen HP-38 are one in the same.

231 meters well, consistent from lot to lot and works well in all standard pistol calibers.

Been around a while because it works.

We all have pet loads but for someone new try 231 till you understand Reloading.

Solo 1000, like it soft shooting. Doesn't meter well, light flake powder. Lot's vary and it's the most heat sensitive powder I've tried but I'm on my third 8 pounder. Slows rapidly on hot days. Great in 9mm minor loads with heavy bullets.

Titegroup, put a lot of lead 175gn 40 S@W rounds down range with Titegroup works well in 9mm minor but don't care for it in 45acp but that's just me.

Hodgen Clay's outstanding in 45acp, clean, accurate but might not be as forgiving as 231 if you make a mistake, overcharge. Haven't tried it in any other calibers.