Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun sucking away uspsa shooters?

Sandbagger123

3 gun is just a passing fad, USPSA pistol is where it's at, and the future of all shooting sports. Return to discussing "Other" current USPSA events and leave 3 gun alone. These are not the matches you are looking for............

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 gun is just a passing fad, USPSA pistol is where it's at, and the future of all shooting sports. Return to discussing "Other" current USPSA events and leave 3 gun alone. These are not the matches you are looking for............

Humm...... Let's see. So you go to a pistol only match and there is how much on the table? Last 3 gun regionals 100,000 on the table and it's a fad? When is the last time you went to a match finished 40th and left with $1100.00 in five items. Stay at your pistol only match and maybe all the folks that left to shoot 3-Gun will be back before your next birthday.

Humm...... Let's see. So you go to a pistol only match and there is how much on the table? Last 3 gun regionals 100,000 on the table and it's a fad? When is the last time you went to a match finished 40th and left with $1100.00 in five items. Stay at your pistol only match and maybe all the folks that left to shoot 3-Gun will be back before your next birthday.

Pretty sure it was a joke and a play on Star Wars

All of the really good major 3gun matches that I know of are already full to capacity and have a wait list. The only room right now for any real growth is at the local club level. It is tough to add any more major matches because of the already full schedule. Not enough good RO's, match directors, or range times left over to toss in too many more matches. I think we have reached a sort of tipping point for the popularity of "outlaw" 3 gun, and the push going forward will most likely be more 3GN type events in pistol bays.

All of the really good major 3gun matches that I know of are already full to capacity and have a wait list. The only room right now for any real growth is at the local club level. It is tough to add any more major matches because of the already full schedule. Not enough good RO's, match directors, or range times left over to toss in too many more matches. I think we have reached a sort of tipping point for the popularity of "outlaw" 3 gun, and the push going forward will most likely be more 3GN type events in pistol bays.

I think you are going to see a few big outlaw matches die off, some of them rightfully so, some of them due to a packed schedule with more attractive venues at the same time.

I think you will see tiered matches similar to how 3GN does club, regional (with semi-pro), and pro series matches.

• 2 months later...

Multi-gun matches are just where it's at now (AZ). Local outlaw 2 and 3 gun matches are more fun and challenging and they don't have prizes, only bragging rights. I think the 2 gun matches are actually the most popular, and are mostly run on pistol bays, maybe an intermediate rifle stage (100-200 yds).

I think it's the "shoot and be safe" no bull$hit rules that is most appealing.

JMO

While I agree in principle that prize structures should favor a compeptive "winners" environment, that isn't how you grow a sport. You grow a sport and encourage players to show up by making them realize that if they show up and don't utterly fail they have a good shot at walking with a cool reward.

I'm not saying it's "fair" in the darwinian sense of the word. But this IS how you grow a sport.

I feel like its this mostly. Shooting sports are amateur events and they are always going to be. All those middle of the pack folks are the sport, chances are that's where all your match directors and RO's are coming from, those are the people that are making locals happen, they are the ones the manufacturers are making product for.

If the handful of top pro's disappeared, the shooting sports would be just fine. If on the other hand all the "also ran's" went away, there wouldn't be anything.

I get both sides of this argument btw, participation trophies and all...

Multi-gun matches are just where it's at now (AZ). Local outlaw 2 and 3 gun matches are more fun and challenging and they don't have prizes, only bragging rights. I think the 2 gun matches are actually the most popular, and are mostly run on pistol bays, maybe an intermediate rifle stage (100-200 yds).

I think it's the "shoot and be safe" no bull$hit rules that is most appealing.

JMO

I agree. Shoot and be safe and have lots of fun without the Nit pic rules.

Background: I shoot open in USPSA and have shot a rifle and shotgun but have never competed in 3 Gun and now live in Mesa, AZ.

Question/Advice: Given my extremely limited knowledge of 3 Gun which is something I would like to try:

1. What equipment should I be looking for to compete in open in 3 Gun?

2. What would a ballpark figure of hard costs, i.e. rifle, shotgun (make/models/caliber), general equipment requirements to gear up?

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

R & G

I shoot a G17 with a Burris FFlll, MKA 1919 shotgun(we build them BTW) ;) , AR15 rifle with a PA 1-6 opticand a Burris FFll @45*

Here's a video of my last match, Generation lll 3-Gun at Lake of the Ozarks, pretty good veiw of all guns used.

I dint know anything about 3 gun but I like that t shirt.

2. What would a ballpark figure of hard costs, i.e. rifle, shotgun (make/models/caliber), general equipment requirements to gear up?

1. Nothing. Go shoot, borrow guns. Ask the MD if there are loaners and bring some ammo.

2. In open, probably $5k minimum to get everything in addition to your pistol but that is ± $5k too. Thus the recommendation in 1.

Background: I shoot open in USPSA and have shot a rifle and shotgun but have never competed in 3 Gun and now live in Mesa, AZ.Question/Advice: Given my extremely limited knowledge of 3 Gun which is something I would like to try:1. What equipment should I be looking for to compete in open in 3 Gun?2. What would a ballpark figure of hard costs, i.e. rifle, shotgun (make/models/caliber), general equipment requirements to gear up?Any assistance is appreciated.Thanks,R & G

This Saturday at rio salado in Mesa there is a match, lots of fun and friendly crew any shotgun and AR 15 will work fine then well... You will want to upgrade to the latest and greatest since you shoot open you know what I'm talking about :) my only recommendation is to find a good holster for your open gun I've seen many open shooters get dq'ed because the open race holsters aren't secure enough and the pistol ends up in the ground.

Question/Advice: Given my extremely limited knowledge of 3 Gun which is something I would like to try:

"3gun" ready built rifles can cost anywhere from 1000-3000.

Good enough open scope: 500

Scope mount 150-300

Reddot:300-500

Shotgun 500-1200

Extra long magtube =100+

Reeddot 300-500

Pistol

CORE M&P 650

reddot 300-500

Thats a reasonable package to get you "started" in Open. This doesn't include the Mag extension for the pistol, the speed loaders and chute for the shotgun, or the doo dads for the rifle e.g. bipod.

"3gun" ready built rifles can cost anywhere from 1000-3000. About $900.00 in mine

Good enough open scope: 500 $270.00

Scope mount 150-300 $120.00

Reddot:300-500 $240,00

Shotgun 500-1200 $1750.00 with 23 rnd mag and case

Extra long magtube =100+ $0.00

Reeddot 300-500 $470,00

Pistol

CORE M&P 650 $450.00

reddot 300-500 $240.00

Thats a reasonable package to get you "started" in Open. This doesn't include the Mag extension for the pistol, the speed loaders and chute for the shotgun, or the doo dads for the rifle e.g. bipod.

This is as close to retail as my stuff cost, as I can place it. I got alot at dealer cost, or won in matches, so the total is much less. I do have some other gear not listed, but much of it was free as well.

Edited by toothandnail