Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3G stag with vortex razor is one heavy son of a gun,

lucas

My stag with the vortex razor at 25 ounces and their heavy SS barrel is very heavy.

I have already changed out every thing the gun came with except the heavy SS barrel, the barrel is next.

Anyone else feel the same way?

My stag with the vortex razor at 25 ounces and their heavy SS barrel is very heavy.

I have already changed out every thing the gun came with except the heavy SS barrel, the barrel is next.

How heavy is it? Put it on a scale. I could also recommend more gym time. But I need to follow that advice as well. lol.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Can't imagine it being much heavier than my home build with stainless barrel, billet receivers, vortex 1-6,.....

Try a heavier stock on the rear to balance it out, or start some shoulder/arm exercises at the gym. My longest stage was around 40-60 seconds this weekend, and not much more at the Pro-Am.....I can't imagine it becoming the fatiguing factor unless you are burning 2-3 mags per stage, in which case I well recommend learning breath control and trigger control to make your shots count more.

Seriously not trying to be mean or a smart ass....well, maybe a little bit of a smart ass....but, if I can shoot a major match with my .308 LaRue rifle I don't expect many .223 rifles to be of concern.

OK, I am glad some of you can simply say go to the gym and carry the rifle you have, but it goes much further then that. I workout everyday (cross training, weight lifting, and running) and thought the Stag was heavy as well. You also have to take in body type, arm length, etc into account. I am 5'8" and do not have long arms. So for me to reach out towards the end of the forarm on the Stag 3g put me in an awakward shooting position. If I moved my hand back the rifle felt unbalanced and I could not stop the rifle as fast when i was quickly transitioning from target to target.

I quickly realized a 16 inch gun or an 18 inch lightweight gun would have to be the ticket for me. I have been running my work rifle (S&W midlength magpul) in local three gun matches and have been winning. When doing different drills (even at a distance) I found the heavier Stag not to handle as well for me.

So for an individual to simply say, "work out" is possibly not getting to the actual problem of why that certain individual thinks the rifle is heavy.

Adam

"Heavy" is different from "balance" (or "weight distribution"). The OP concern was with weight - so responses suggesting exercise (increasing strength - ability to overcome the weight) weren't unreasonable.

If distribution is the issue, then good suggestions have already been made - heavier stock, shorter/lighter barrel, lighter FF tube.

If you decide to sell the barrel, I'm local and would likely be interested. Let me know.

I run a 20" Med weight JP upper and it's a bit heavy, but more important for me is balance. I put a PRS stock on it and a 15" Carbon Arms fore end and it is perfect. Balances right at the front pivot pin. I tried shooting some lighter guns this year but keep coming back to the 20".

Doug

Compared to the Xbox controller some of you young fellas learned to shoot with a 10lb rifle might seem heavy. Some of us older guys learned with real wood and steel so a 10lb rifle ain't no big deal. We don't wine about how heavy a rifle is. Just go and practice. ?

There's more important things than rifle weight.

mpeltier it takes a lot of work to get an AR to balance like an M-1 Garand or '03 Springfield just ask the CMP shooters :roflol:

mine is around 8.5-9 Lbs. and balances about 1" forward of the front pin but I haven't "upgraded " to a Vortex yet just an old Tasco 4x16 for now

as an experiment when I was building I took some 230 LRN projectiles and slid them into the tubes on my Magpul stock to play with the balance foam earplugs kept them from rattling but have since removed them . I like it a bit nose heavy

I don't think it's heavy but I also changed out a bunch of stuff.

Stag comp was changed to Benny Hill Rolling Thunder

Geiselle Super 3 gun trigger was changed to JP trigger.

Grip was changed to Ergo

Milspec tac latch changed to BCM Gunfighter

What all did you change and to what did you change it to?

• 2 weeks later...

Grip was changed to Ergo

PRI gas buster

Miculec comp

Timney single stage 3#

JP NM carrier

Magpul rifle MOE stock

JP rifle buffer and spring

Today, I finally had a chance to run some drills. I had only three IPSC targets to work with. I worked on my splits and transitions. I had one stove pipe, after that the rifle worked fine with the three sizes of mags I bring to matches. Using the over grip midway down the forearm definitely is a improvement, if for nothing else, to keep a heavy gun up. Although, it handled better than I thought, it is still much heavier than I am used to.

I still may address the barrel weight by replacing or having it tuned down under the guard. As it is I can run and gun like the wind.

Edited by lucas

Grip was changed to Ergo

PRI gas buster

Miculec comp

Timney single stage 3#

JP NM carrier

Magpul rifle MOE stock

JP rifle buffer and spring

Today, I finally had a chance to run some drills. I had only three IPSC targets to work with. I worked on my splits and transitions. I had one stove pipe, after that the rifle worked fine with the three sizes of mags I bring to matches. Using the over grip midway down the forearm definitely is a improvement, if for nothing else, to keep a heavy gun up. Although, it handled better than I thought, it is still much heavier than I am used to.

I still may address the barrel weight by replacing or having it tuned down under the guard. As it is I can run and gun like the wind.

• 3 weeks later...