Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you enjoy IDPA, as an Open shooter?

wes777

I was at my local club this weekend, helping demo a USPSA stage. The next bay over was hosting the IDPA demo. I borrowed a vest and made it all the way to "make ready" concealed.......

RO: "Thats not Legal! How many rounds do you have in that magazine?".

Me: "18 -30, what is the limit?".

Him: "18".

Me: I have enough.

Him: I guess you do, Standby"

The RO was really cool about my ideas for a new division, the lady who had just shown me "how its done" was unable to hide her distaste for my way of shooting her stage.

Most fun I have ever had at IDPA.

Went to our local IDPA match: 3 Stages (11 rounds total for the match).

I asked if it was alright if I shot some of the stages "twice". Reply: OK

I "doubled" my round count by shooting the COF and then reshooting it again.

Got a couple of FTDR looks, but had a great time. (IDPA folks are great - shooting is shooting.)

Ranger6

"If it's on the internet, it's got to be true. They can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true." A. Lincoln

I am a 3-gunner always shot open on account of my saiga.IDPA is just boring to me never enough rounds, never enough rounds in the gun. And WAY to tactical for me. One instance I remember nearly getting an ftdr penalty for was clearing a room I just jumped out there and shot all of tge guys in under 5 seconds. While other people were very carefully clearing the room in 30. So me personally I don't enjoy IDPA as an open shooter.

At the end of the day, it is a competition and you get to see how you ranked among your peers. I started shooting IDPA this year so that I would be forced to use my carry gun. Now that the new rules are about to be in effect, I don't have a desire to continue. I'll shoot a compact in USPSA from time to time. That is funny though, shooting an open gun from behind cover!

I don't shoot open but personally I'd let anyone shoot my matches. Of course no .22. But any other than that I'd let them shoot for no score- why not? I can understand the desire to shoot stages in a matches for practice.

Come Oct.1st those limited guns, open guns, 22s or whatever will be welcomed at the local level.

You just have to sign "not for competition" on the scoresheet LOL

Edited by sbcman

Of course no .22.

Why no .22LR?

No rifle rounds are allow in our pistol bays... including .22. There are several reasons for this I think- like no one picks up the brass and the higher rifle velocities maybe. Also .22 wouldn't activate our activators which we use a fair amount.

No rifle rounds are allow in our pistol bays... including .22. There are several reasons for this I think- like no one picks up the brass and the higher rifle velocities maybe. Also .22 wouldn't activate our activators which we use a fair amount.

Ahhh... Got it!

I have shot with some young lads (future GM's) who shoot their .22LR pistols in a COF. Just last week we had a young man who is only 8 or 9 y/o shooting "not for score" and he was doing really well. We usually set the poppers light enough that even a .22LR can knock them down but, in the cases where they don't fall, the RO just calls the hit out.

I know that there are many here who say that we shouldn't allow the use of .22LR pistols in USPSA or IDPA matches under any circumstances but I think this caliber is a great way to introduce new shooters to the sport (especially those who don't feel that they are ready to handle the recoil of a heavier caliber).

I stopped shooting IDPA when I started worrying about whether I was at slide lock while shooting USPSA. I just don't feel like thinking that hard about which match I'm shooting.

I have a bud who's an Open Master and shot IDPA last year, winning the Illinois and Missouri state championships as an ESP shooter. He also got bumped to Master from the Missouri match.

He kind of liked it, but stopped because it just wasn't worth the effort, time, or money.

And for the IDPA="tactical" comment, there's nothing really tactical about IDPA. It's a game, just like USPSA. The "tactical principles" IDPA likes to tout are really nothing more than ways of making sure it doesn't turn into USPSA, and will probably get you hurt in a real world situation.

I was at a local indoor range sighting in my 38SC open gun and saw an IDPA match going on in the next bay over. Asked them if I could try and surprisingly they let me. Stage procedure was something like make ready, then they turn off the lights, illuminate the targets with your flashlight and shoot them in order with 2 reloads for most. I got some muscle memory on the first target drew in the dark and lit the range up with my comp beat them all by nearly 1min. score keeper said F-ing awesome, but her are 10 penalties for not illuminating the targets first... I said well how did I get all my hits then? Bagged my gun and walked out with a smirk on my face while everyone was talking about it. I still hear about it when I go to that range.

I have a bud who's an Open Master and shot IDPA last year, winning the Illinois and Missouri state championships as an ESP shooter. He also got bumped to Master from the Missouri match.

He kind of liked it, but stopped because it just wasn't worth the effort, time, or money.

Actually, It was Darren who came up with the "I Don't Play Anymore" comment. :lol:

I don't shoot IDPA unless its the only match available on the weekend. Its hard playing USPSA, Three gun and IDPA for the rule variances you get your self a bunch of pros at the first few IDPA matches after coming back. Plus the stages are simple and not so much fun.
Pat

As someone who used to shoot a lot of IDPA, I got a good laugh out of the OP's video. I just would have liked to have seen a camera angle that showed the faces of the people standing around watching. My club would not have had any issue with someone shooting an open gun not for score and anyone who does is way too uptight.