Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you enjoy IDPA, as an Open shooter?

wes777

but her are 10 penalties for not illuminating the targets first...

Never heard of that penalty... and I've been shooting IDPA for 6 years. People make shit up sometimes....

No, if the stage description mandated illuminating the targets and they didn't do it, then it's 10 procedurals. They could also have thrown in an FTDR, theoretically.

Never heard of that penalty... and I've been shooting IDPA for 6 years. People make shit up sometimes....

No, if the stage description mandated illuminating the targets and they didn't do it, then it's 10 procedurals. They could also have thrown in an FTDR, theoretically.

But I thought he "lit up" the targets!

But I thought he "lit up" the targets!

If the WSB said "illuminate the targets with the flashlight," it's a procedural. Not different from USPSA in this case.

Yes some guys make stuff up... but not this guy, found some video of it. The first one is one of the guys I knew at the match, the second was me. It was a long time ago and it was all in good fun and no feelings were hurt. I would gladly go to an IDPA match with the appropriate equipment.

Edited by Hello

I went to our club's IDPA match with my Glock 34 and a few magazines. The squad was comprised of a husband and wife team and myself. They were very encouraging when they found out it was my first IDPA match. So on the first stage, I didn't understand the walk thru's "Tactical Priority" and "Tactical Sequence" which were called out on different target arrays, so as soon as I saw a target, it got two rounds. Oh well. Bunch of procedurals for that.

They still encouraged me saying that I'd get to know the rules as I shot more.

On the next stage, we had to start laying down on the ground with the gun drawn and pointing at a stick. There were three targets about 3 to 4 feet away and this time I was not first. I got to watch them shoot the targets in Tactical Priority sequence which was one, one, two, one one.

I ran that stage 3 seconds faster than the other guy and almost 5 seconds faster than his wife, without dropping any points.

They didn't talk to me for the rest of the match..... Oh well.

I don't mind IDPA it's just that the "here's the shooting problem, there are multiple solutions, you figure it out" style stages present a different challenge. Everybody shoots IDPA stages exactly the same.

So no, I don't shoot my Open gun in IDPA, heck they didn't like me shooting the G34. Don't think I ever will, but that's just me.....

BC

Edited by BillChunn

You are courteously allowed to use illegal equipment on their course of fire and gloat over how well you did? Give it a break.

Quit the IDPA bashing guys. You all know better than that.

I haven't seen any bashing. Just joking. I think someone needs thicker skin.

"...bagged my gun with a smirk on my face..."

Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted that comment.

A little respect goes a long ways. I was told once that, if you take your fancy uniform and high rank in one style of martial art to the dojo of another different style, you will be told that you are all wrong. Similarly, if someone from that school came to yours, their techniques, training style, and philosophy will probably be alien to you, and perhaps subjected to some ridicule. Actually, all they are are different. Further comparisons are pretty much useless.

There is an annual match at my range where all the various disciplines set up and give folks a chance to try something different. I appreciate the opportunity and the mutual respect offered by the enthusiasts in each sport.

This isn't the I Don't Play Anymore subforum anyway, it's the Open Pistols where speed and efficiency reign. Although he is right, we should all have the courtesy not to beat a horse on its last legs. :D

On a more positive note that is pretty cool to see albeit severely truncated in duration. :) Now if only it didn't make the eardrums meet, it'd be a perfect carry gun!

i remember when IDPA was started. they gave all the reasons you here today on why they quit ipsc and went to idpa. the truth is they couldn't win in uspsa and started something else, which the best uspsa shooters still went over and won. i like shooting as much as anyone. i do find IDPA boring at best, but still better than golf.

a local IDPA club I shoot 2-3 matches a year will let me shoot thru with my open gun on the 2nd round. it's fun shooting my space gun (what the idpa guys call it),

Haha, my gun has been called that many times by IDPA guys!!

On a separate note, the comment about the joint club/sport fun match sounded like a cool idea. I think that would be fun to mash up a few sports into a fun range day and possibly get some crossovers and even new shooters in the process. Looks like I've got a project for next summer.