Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 1911 Trigger Set up?

AznDragon533

Hello,

Just wondering what is everyone's opinion on the best parts to make the ultimate 1911 trigger for competition?

My plan so far is to get the following parts below and then send to a gunsmith for a trigger job, goal is ~2lb.

-1911 40 S&W

- 14lb recoil spring and a 17lb mainspring

- EGW Hard sear

- EGW Long disconnector

- Colt sear spring

- Doug Koenig 1911 Low Mass Hammer

- SVI Trigger Bow - Single Stack

- SVI Trigger Insert - Medium Flat

series80fpblock.jpg

Suggestions? Comments?

I would only request the trigger bow assembly you want, any g'smith worth his salt knows what parts he wants to use to produce the best work. That is what you pay him for.

this. smiths will have their own favorites to work with and its best to let them use what they like instead of forcing something on them.

Hello,

Just wondering what is everyone's opinion on the best parts to make the ultimate 1911 trigger for competition?

My plan so far is to get the following parts below and then send to a gunsmith for a trigger job, goal is ~2lb.

-1911 40 S&W

- EGW Hard sear

- EGW Long disconnector

- Colt sear spring

series80fpblock.jpg

Suggestions? Comments?

If you are going to send it to someone, call them and order what they want to use. Better yet, send them the money, they get the parts at cost, increase their profit margin, make your $$ do the work.

FYI, for the cost of a gunsmith trigger job you could get all of the tools/jigs you would need to create similar results on your own, depending on skill level.

I use the same parts in all of my race guns, bar stock is the way to go, SVI and EGW go in my guns. Instead of 14lb recoil I use 12.5lb

Edited by FAZZ

Hello,

-1911 40 S&W

- EGW Hard sear

- EGW Long disconnector

- Colt sear spring

series80fpblock.jpg

Suggestions? Comments?

i have the same exact set up as yours except i use a Top Curve insert... i have mine set at 1.5lbs and very crisp have shot almost 2k and still ok.. i do check my trigger once in a while to maintain that pull and make it last

Edited by ogiebb

I recommend Infinity or EGW. I have an SV gun (my build from back when they sold frames) with all SV tri-glide parts that has 1.5 lb. trigger and is 100% reliable after 50k+ rounds. And it is a nice crisp trigger, not mush (gun has a 23 lb. mainspring and SV ti sear spring). As was stated, finding a good gunsmith is a major part of the equation. But you also need quality parts if you expect it to last.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I got a infinity ignition kit for my SV open gun and the sear spring is not bent to a 90 degree angle where it goes into the slot in grip. Instead it's bent about 70 degrees and sticks up to for to get the mainspring housing on.

How is these supposed to work?

Can you bend spring steel without it breaking?

On 3/2/2018 at 2:22 PM, Slide4949 said:

I got a infinity ignition kit for my SV open gun and the sear spring is not bent to a 90 degree angle where it goes into the slot in grip. Instead it's bent about 70 degrees and sticks up to for to get the mainspring housing on.

How is these supposed to work?

Can you bend spring steel without it breaking?

My experience is that if you try to bend it it will crack.  I don't use the ti springs any more, but when I did, I would grind down the tab until it got to the point where you can install the ms housing.  All you really need is a small piece to fit the cut in the frame. 

Mostly good parts.  I'm not keen on the SVI trigger bow.  Also, if Series 80, consider what you shoot before converting.  Many organizations have rules against defeating any safety mechanisms.

as much as it is important to use high quality parts, as you are.   what makes the trigger job a "trigger job", is the contact area between the sear face and hammer hooks!

along with everything else that contributes that.

If you do it yourself spend some money on the vyapori sear tool.  It allows you to pin the sear and hammer in it just like they are in the gun.  With the built in microscope yoh can check the engagement of their respective angles and achieve gunsmith results and know that it will last, have no hammer follow, and enjoy!  +1 for egw, who makes the Koenig ignition parts.

I've built just slightly over a 100 1911 and 2011 guns and this is what I've found out in that experience.

But great parts, polish them, fit them correctly ( a lot easier now than 40 years ago, due to the quality of Good parts) and adjust the springs to suit your needs.

When Adjusting the leaf spring go slow and in small increments and don't try and go as low as possible 2-2.5 lbs is as low as 95% of shooters

will ever need or want.

If you buy a set of good parts it is SO simple today to make a good trigger as long as your frame is correctly toleranced! 

Good fortune!

Another option is to put a True Radius on the sear and mate the hammer hooks to it, if necessary.  I have built with both conventional and TR, and honestly I cannot tell the difference between them in trigger pull.  I will say the TR approach is a whole lot faster, and you don't need a microscope.  If your frame is in spec, it will be, or close to be, a drop in.  You can buy a properly prepared, good sear from Harrison Custom.  He sells both kinds, so be sure to order the True Radius sear.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

Another option is to put a True Radius on the sear and mate the hammer hooks to it, if necessary.  I have built with both conventional and TR, and honestly I cannot tell the difference between them in trigger pull.  I will say the TR approach is a whole lot faster, and you don't need a microscope.  If your frame is in spec, it will be, or close to be, a drop in.  You can buy a properly prepared, good sear from Harrison Custom.  He sells both kinds, so be sure to order the True Radius sear.

I would like to see a pic of what that engagement looks like if you can provide one.  It is an interesting concept.  Thanks