Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

If I lube the outside of the magazine tube even lightly by the end of a match the bolt gets lethargic and sometimes will not eject a spent round. In defense of the gun I run the cheapest shells I can find. RIO, Estate, etc. The gun doesnt get very dirty but it doesnt like lube

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do run lube on the outside of the magtube to help the big spring reduce friction, I really cannot understand why a gun runs worse with lube than it does without????????? but hey, there are plenty of things I don't understand.

trapr

I had someone ask me if I could take pictures of my A400 and my 1301 side by side to see the differences. So I thought I'd share what I found:

I took a bunch of pictures and put them in an imageshack folder. Let me know if you have any issues viewing it. In all of the pictures, the A400 is the one on top.

https://imageshack.com/a/mcSq/1

The only differences I can tell:

- End of magazine is different to accomodate the b-lok feature of the A400.

- A400 stock is longer

- 1301 has a higher raised rib

- 1301 has the mid bead

- A400 obviously has the kick-off

- A400 can shoot 3-1/2s

Similarities:

- Just about everything

- gas system, barrel extension, receiver, bolt carrier group

Can someone confirm the BCG commonality? Snapped my charging handle off going into a dump barrel this weekend and need a new one. Preferably one that isn't cast and fragile.

Nice gun, running reasonably well...not as rugged as I expect (which means I tend to replace parts and have spares as I break them).

If I lube the outside of the magazine tube even lightly by the end of a match the bolt gets lethargic and sometimes will not eject a spent round. In defense of the gun I run the cheapest shells I can find. RIO, Estate, etc. The gun doesnt get very dirty but it doesnt like lube

What type of lube are you using when you are having this problem?

I had someone ask me if I could take pictures of my A400 and my 1301 side by side to see the differences. So I thought I'd share what I found:

I took a bunch of pictures and put them in an imageshack folder. Let me know if you have any issues viewing it. In all of the pictures, the A400 is the one on top.

https://imageshack.com/a/mcSq/1

The only differences I can tell:

- End of magazine is different to accomodate the b-lok feature of the A400.

- A400 stock is longer

- 1301 has a higher raised rib

- 1301 has the mid bead

- A400 obviously has the kick-off

- A400 can shoot 3-1/2s

Similarities:

- Just about everything

- gas system, barrel extension, receiver, bolt carrier group

Can someone confirm the BCG commonality? Snapped my charging handle off going into a dump barrel this weekend and need a new one. Preferably one that isn't cast and fragile.

Nice gun, running reasonably well...not as rugged as I expect (which means I tend to replace parts and have spares as I break them).

I can swap charging handles when I get back, but I'm 99.9% sure they are interchangeable. Briley makes a replaceable charging handle that should be a lot more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at retiring my 930 to a backup gun position for one of these. Shot one earlier this month at a match and was very impressed, but had a major problem with quad loading it. Shells kept on getting hung up on that edge, and that looks like a common problem most are having. I've read through the thread and have seen all the pictures of the opened loading ports, which would be a must have for me. Just wanted to see if this has been a real fix for getting quads in FAST? If you take your time, you can quad load anything, but can you get this gun to the feeling of an open ported Benelli, 930, SLP etc.. Or is that lip always going to be a speed hindrance?

I had the port on my 1301 opened up more than some I have seen on here, you can get the front angles to work much better but I stopped removing material to avoid problems with the follower stop. It works good for deuces but it will never work as well as an opened up Benelli or Versa Max for quads IMO. At least I haven't seen one that did yet and mine was about as open as it could get.

Forr4 and Bradgsxr,

I have noticed the quad loading problem too....that is part of my problem. I am fine with loading deuces although it may not be the fastest method to load a S. G.

Bradgsrx, have you put pictures of your port on here? I'd like to see what it looks like if you wouldn't mind.

This could be a deal breaker for me. Twins are fast, but quads are where I have an extra edge on a lot of other shooters. Too bad to have such a great gun and mess it up on one part. Not to say the gun isn't still awesome, but a gun that can't quad load easily isn't a gun I am looking to fork money out on. I'm hoping someone on here has figured a way to make it work, because I really want this gun..

I haven't seen any videos on YouTube or anything of people loading this gun for speed. If anyone knows of any or if any brave soul would like to give it a try, send me a link please!

Cabelas is having a sale on them up until the end of Wednesday. There are a few 24" ones in stock, so I'm trying to make a decision on it quickly.

post-48977-0-02850800-1399651937_thumb.j

This is the only pic I have of the port, sold the gun so no longer able to take any more pics -

I couldn't do quads easily with it, I bought it as a backup to my Versa Max but I sold it and bought another Versa Max. I too liked the gun but I only load quads now so it was a deal breaker for me -

I should say I could do quads with the 1301, just nowhere as easily as the Versa Max -

Edited by Bradgsxr

I think to optimize it for quads you would have to have the serial number moved so you can drop that side of the receiver down more. You can cut more metal out of the other top runners so they will be easier to quad load. That being said I can quad load quickly with my 1301, I just have to be cognizant of my technique. There just is not the latitude for sloppy loading that the VM, and I imagine the Benelli have.

I have not touched the piston since I got mine. A little lube on the locking bolt and that's it.
Welding the tab is a must for me and my thumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 of course it ate my spelling.

Edited by Dustbuster1

What type of lube are you using when you are having this problem?

I have used CLP and also the red oil made by gun butter

Worked this thing some more, an happy w it so far, now for some welding...
dy2u8e5u.jpg
avypunar.jpg
ahe5amuj.jpg

This week: quad load practice

Edited by Dustbuster1

Today was my first opportunity to shoot slugs through my new 1301. Is POI 3-4" high @ 25 yards about right for the factory choke? Windage was perfect at that distance.

I experienced this too.....High and to the right was my POI....I am retesting just to make sure the shooter error is negligent....

Today was my first opportunity to shoot slugs through my new 1301. Is POI 3-4" high @ 25 yards about right for the factory choke? Windage was perfect at that distance.

I experienced this too.....High and to the right was my POI....I am retesting just to make sure the shooter error is negligent....

Same here. I changed the drop shim to the 65 on both my Berettas. POA = POI for me now.

Same here. I changed the drop shim to the 65 on both my Berettas. POA = POI for me now.

Same here. With the 65 shim added mine shoots dead on at 50 with carlsons LM and fiocchi 1 oz reduced power slugs.

Thanks! I had to walk away from it for a little bit. Then came back and re worked it. Am trying to come up with a welded lifter solution as we speak,guess Ill go w C-Rums or rose

Edited by Dustbuster1

I think I solved my problems quad loading. Warning, my solution is......well......hillbilly at best. It is very effective though. I built up the area with some JB weld then sanded away until I had something that worked. I need to cut it back a bit to make a thumb hole but its already much better than before. When I get time, I will take it to someone to make it a little more permanent. I just wanted a working concept that cost next to nothing and is completely reversible if need be. I plan on putting rounds through it Thursday then shooting it in the Hornady match Friday-Sunday. *fingers crossed*

DSC_7436.jpg

DSC_7438.jpg

Does anyone else have a problem with getting shells out of the mag tube onto the lifter? If I load up my tube with any more than 6 shells when I hit the button to drop a shell onto the lifter it often will not let a shell out onto the lifter. The shell catch is being depressed but maybe not enough? With 2 or 3 rounds in the tube it works great.