Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beretta 1301 Comp

JediTodd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random post, but guys I was just thinking the other day how much I love this gun. Light, so freaking reliable, comfortable, fast, low recoil, what else could you ask for?!?!

Just ran a match with it after not being cleaned for several hundred rounds and a couple months. Dropped a little oil in there and still running so smooth.

jrbet83, I am aware of some upside down2/4 loaders that are removing more of the front of the loading port and smoothing the transition into the fore end, so as to ease the sharp rise from the front of the loading port to the fore end.

Trapr

Well I got one of these guns in the 24" flavor and shot quite a bit with it this week, performed great. Just took it apart to clean it and once it was back together I noticed I had an extra part....

A small O-ring was left sitting on the table and I have no idea where it came from. It looks very similar, if not identical, to the O-ring that is on the firing pin retainer. Any ideas?

EDIT: Mystery solved, found a schematic on Brownells. It is, in fact, an identical O-ring but goes on the firing pin itself. Did not notice it I removed the firing pin spring.

Edited by BoHeck

Well it took me 3 days, but I went through this whole thread. After reading all of this and shooting several different shotguns, I think the 1301 will be my first 3-gun shotgun. Appreciate everyone's input so far. :)

Edited by Cerebus

C-RUMS modified lifter came back today! As you can see i have it back together. With the lifter out i wasn't able to practice loading my new nordic +5 mag. So I put it together and got out my dummy rounds. loaded one in the chamber, loaded 10 in the mag tube. All is good. To make sure I put it all back together right, I pulled the trigger. The mag tube immediately dumps a shell onto the lifter. So is this "normal" or did I put it back together wrong? I don' t remember it doing this prior to pulling it apart.

DC21826E-8A7F-4A06-B0FB-38285B5D1E39.jpg

Edited by xtremekramer

Have a 1301 and shot three types of low recoil slugs at 50 yards from a sand bag rest- they all grouped 6-7 inches to the right of POA. Sent the gun to Beretta and requested they "fix" it so it will shoot POA with slugs.

Think the problem is that the magazine tube is not centered to the center of the bore- it is deviated to the right in its attachment to the receiver which is why the gun shoots slugs to the right-i.e. to the center of the pattern. Will let you know if Beretta can "fix" this problem.

Really like this gun.

Random post, but guys I was just thinking the other day how much I love this gun. Light, so freaking reliable, comfortable, fast, low recoil, what else could you ask for?!?!

Just ran a match with it after not being cleaned for several hundred rounds and a couple months. Dropped a little oil in there and still running so smooth.

Bluedevil008,

I agree 100 percent. Shot skeet, trap and 5 stand last weekend in addition to a multigun match with a lot of shotgun use....very pleased with my 1301....my o/u's for skeet and trap will be safe queens going forward......

I have somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rounds through mine without cleaning it as well. The numbers add up quick with the magazine extension...we go through 3-400 shells per outting. Running an IM choke on my 21"

I have oiled the rails a couple of times (slip 2000 ewl), but feel really bad about not cleaning it. Hopefully I'll get some time before the next outing.

What is funny to me...is mine runs better than my friend's Remington 870...he had 4 shells get stuck last outing. It's gotta be the rotating and locking bolt of the beretta that twists them before extracting them. Mine has ran 100% for at least the last 600 rounds.

Bluedevil008,

I agree 100 percent. Shot skeet, trap and 5 stand last weekend in addition to a multigun match with a lot of shotgun use....very pleased with my 1301....my o/u's for skeet and trap will be safe queens going forward......

Bluedevil008,

No real surprises here. The Beretta 3xx, 390, 391 and 400 have been favorites of the clay target shooters for years. The 1301 is a direct descendant.

Steve, I have thought about clipping the carrier spring a little, because in trying to learn to load quads from my right hand (strong ) I find the most resistance is from the initial push of the shells onto the carrier(lifter) on the first pass and then the start of the second pass. I know that's the spring that lifts shells up into the barrel. Have you or anybody else tried this? I just got a replacement spring from Brownells and thought I would ask before I tried it. Thanks.

Jadeslade,

Try a little polishing on the pin that carrier spring rides in (won't make a big difference, but it helps)... Also, tune on the shell catch some, with some high polish work to the radius and lip that hit the shell head... You can also try to tweak that piece some so that it doesn't come so far out behind shell head...

Do that with a Benelli and it will leave shells on the lifter, but since you got a spare, give it a try.

I agree, no harm in trying since you have a spare spring, but reducing the lifter's force may induce feeding issues when the gun cycles. Let us know how that works out.

Steve, I have thought about clipping the carrier spring a little, because in trying to learn to load quads from my right hand (strong ) I find the most resistance is from the initial push of the shells onto the carrier(lifter) on the first pass and then the start of the second pass. I know that's the spring that lifts shells up into the barrel. Have you or anybody else tried this? I just got a replacement spring from Brownells and thought I would ask before I tried it. Thanks.

We clipped 4 coils off of the lifter spring on the 1301 with minimal effect on the loading ability but no effect on operation. YMMV

Thanks, kurtm! And Steve. Yeah, was sitting here contemplating it, cause I'm going to the range in the morning. That's what I'm afraid of doing. Leaving shells on there. I can load two and two from the IP 2.8 shell carriers, but the quad load is eluding me. The issue for me isn't the loading gate and all that, it's that first push. On the weak hand load the shells have to point up a little more for me than on the Benelli. So I was trying to lighten that a bit. Minor drift...On another thread you said something about if the last shell won't feed out of a magazine tube, it's a different problem than a mag spring. I had that on my Benelli on Monday. Last shell out of an 11 plus 1 Nordic. I'm wondering if I bent the shell release lever or something. So I put a new mag spring in and cleaned the gun and re-lubed. We will see. Thanks. I have a Jeff C lifter and a Taranized bolt and trigger on that Benelli. Thanks. Versamax Shotgun match this weekend.

We clipped 4 coils off of the lifter spring on the 1301 with minimal effect on the loading ability but no effect on operation. YMMV

That's the other thing I'm afraid of. Might not really help with that loading pressure. Seems a more acute lever arm angle on the Beretta.

Jadeslade,

Try a little polishing on the pin that carrier spring rides in (won't make a big difference, but it helps)... Also, tune on the shell catch some, with some high polish work to the radius and lip that hit the shell head... You can also try to tweak that piece some so that it doesn't come so far out behind shell head...

Yeah. Going to take the action out now and I will polish that pin and the shell catch.