Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What is the best free float hand guard and why?

Joe Mamma

The Silver tubes absorb less heat and the heat shield kit is amazing at keeping the hand guard cool if you need it.

Michael1778 covered the main reasons we don't slot our tubes, but another one is the actual edges created by the slotting operation. Carbon fiber is not something you want to have unfinished edges for a variety of obvious reasons. There is no real benefit to the slots, but several increased risks.

I have seen three broken carbon fiber tubes, not ours and not PRI, that failed due to the stress concentrations created by slotting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I designed ours after shooting multiple kinds of shooting competitions and realizing the potential gained by having the proper tools so the shooter could take advantage of different situations. It was made as light weight as I could while maintaining the rigidity I expected. Allot of people have reservations about switching from something that is round. Change isn't easy for everyone so if you buy one and don't like it for any reason I will take it back ;) Glen

I really like my jp modular handguard( 15"), it mates well with my mega receivers, somewhat light, and have endless options for mounting hardware. I also love the diameter of the tube, its perfect for guys who do not use forward grips, smaller width is easier to grip.

IMAG0483_zpsfa0470e9.jpg

Edited by george995

The Silver tubes absorb less heat and the heat shield kit is amazing at keeping the hand guard cool if you need it.

Your silver carbon fiber hand guards are definitely the coolest looking hand guards (no pun intended).

I just can't get over the no holes or slots in yours, despite that being a superior design.

Joe Mamma

Edited by Joe Mamma

Your silver carbon fiber hand guards are definitely the coolest looking hand guards (no pun intended).

I just can't get over the no holes or slots in yours, despite that being a superior design.

Joe Mamma

Find me at a match and we will discuss heat transfer. Your brain might hurt, but it will make sense from a heat perspective. :)

With all the proprietary barrel nuts out there, switching is a pain. I do not wish to removed an inner and outer nut from a sub MOA JP just to try out a lighter tube.

Does anyone make a CF tube that will use the JP receiver extension?

Mark, I thought you and Firebird had a cross marketing partnership that distributed CF tubes that would fit the JP receiver extension. Are those still available?

Our first generation tubes did fit the JP and the Firebird nuts, but we do not make that anymore. We had a few parts, but those are all gone as well. It is possible to adapt our tube to a JP if you have a lathe to make an insert. We had such a demand for nuts that it became necessary to produce our own adapters for a basic stock style nut, which we sell.

I do have 3 favorites that really float to the top......all extremely light weight and 2 are aluminum.

I do have to mention that you really can't go wrong with a Nordic for the price......and they are very stout......even the 15" HG

Really in no order.....if you want, you guess what I think is actually best.....but I use them all and would recommend any of these 3 below:

I have a Seekins Tube, 15" with the rail on top and it is very light, quite possibly the lightest HG out there with a rail on top. I do like it, it's a little finicky to put on, however you use std tools. I really am no longer a fan of 2" tubes.

I really like my SAMPSON 15" Evo......to the point that TACCOM will be using them in the near future as an option on our 22LR uppers.....I am a HUGE fan of small diameter, light wt tubes, and SAMSON is tops in that arena. great to hold on to....able to 'clamp' it into position with your weak hand on objects......it's just an all around good design. Easy to instal with std tools

And who could argue with my buddy's 15" carbon fiber tube....AP custom. Aaron is a class act all the way and even a fun guy to hang out with!! AND....hey, this guy gives back to the sport in a big way. If you gotta have a carbon fiber tube, you should really consider one of his.....he knows how to make them and they are top shelf quality. Easy to instal with std tools too.

Edited by TRUBL

Michael1778 covered the main reasons we don't slot our tubes, but another one is the actual edges created by the slotting operation. Carbon fiber is not something you want to have unfinished edges for a variety of obvious reasons. There is no real benefit to the slots, but several increased risks.

I have seen three broken carbon fiber tubes, not ours and not PRI, that failed due to the stress concentrations created by slotting.

I can't find a listed weight for your handguards.

Keep it simple and go with what's comfortable. I chose the good old Troy Alpha Rail in 15". Light weight, slim, tough, add rails as needed and best of all only $120.

Where are you shopping? Cheapest I can find is the $180 range. I'm looking for a longer hand guard for my backup gun that isn't $200 and will barely ever get used.

• 4 years later...
12 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

The best, price not being a concern?

That’s easy. Brigand Arms. Sure, they’re expensive at $300... but mine weighed 4.66 ounces worth of braided carbon fiber. And that’s including the barrel nut.

72E283C7-1017-46B3-A5DC-56AC5608A8E3.thumb.jpeg.22a9d28ccf9d49392a8bba016a8f45d4.jpeg

Where do you mount the sling attachment and bipod?