Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open shooters what production gun

bk94

I shoot a 2011 open and was wanting to get a production in 9mm but was curious as to what model you use that's close to the 2011 style so the switching from one to the other wont be to extreme. Thanks for the info.

Not a Glock! No two guns are less alike than 2011's and Glocks. I was a Glock Production shooter and switched to 2011 Open. Tried the Glock again just for a change of pace and could not get hits to save myself. I recently bought an XDM 5.25 and it does indeed feel more familiar after shooting 2011's.

CZ SP01 Shadow Target. It isn't the shape or trigger but the Weight and balance, and it is a fine shooting gun. Since I shoot open all Iron Sights are a major adjustment!

Edited by CocoBolo

The Glocks were hard to adjust to because of the grip angle...until I was issued a Gen4 G22. That one works a lot better for me if I were to shoot a Glock in production.

Currently shooting an M&P 9Pro with the Apex parts.

The CZ's look interesting and if I were to get deeper into Production, that's what I would be going for because of the metal frame and feel.

Keep in mind that an M&P with Apex internals is nolonger production legal for IPSC/USPSA (last time i checked the rules at least)

A really nice production gun, imo, is the Tanfoglio Stock III. With available production legal springs you can get a really nice triggerpull on it and the balance is great.

I always thought that the CZ shot just like an open gun. With that light rail, the minimal muzzle flip will seem very familiar. The only issue is getting used to the DA first shot. After that, the trigger is pretty much the same as a 1911 when set up properly.

Later,

Chuck

I found that the main issue I had with CZ first DA was the length of the pull, so I put a CCGW (Cajun) disconnect in the gun which made the pull a lot shorter, albeit a tad stiffer. I find the shorter pull worked for me, the single action I actually went up on the main sprint to 10.5# as you couldn't tell the trigger pull from the return spring, reset is nearly as short as my open 2011s. With a good load it recoils about like an open gun, just need to be louder.

Hello: I use a XD 9 tactical and a Glock 34. I prefer the Glock. I tried the CZ Shadow and a M&P. The CZ, I just could not get used to the DA first pull. The M&P, I just don't like that trigger shape. It feels funny on my large fingers. Thanks, Eric

Keep in mind that an M&P with Apex internals is nolonger production legal for IPSC/USPSA (last time i checked the rules at least)

A really nice production gun, imo, is the Tanfoglio Stock III. With available production legal springs you can get a really nice triggerpull on it and the balance is great.

Provided he doesn't change the trigger itself, springs are still legal. I think IPSC has a trigger pull weight, but USPSA does not. So Comp springs may make it illegal in IPSC.

I shoot a Glock in Production. I hear a lot of whining about switching grip angles and trigger systems but it just doesn't affect me very much. Man up, I say.

WAAAAHHHHH!!! WAAAHHHH!!!

Yeah, I'll whine about it. Too much difference for me. Maybe not for you. Maybe you should man up and admit it's harder than you are making it sound. :sight:

Shoot a 2011 for a year exclusively. Pull out your Glock and close your eyes. Then open them and see how far off your sights are.

I shoot a Glock in Production. I hear a lot of whining about switching grip angles and trigger systems but it just doesn't affect me very much. Man up, I say.

Yeah, I'll whine about it. Too much difference for me. Maybe not for you. Maybe you should man up and admit it's harder than you are making it sound. :sight:

Shoot a 2011 for a year exclusively. Pull out your Glock and close your eyes. Then open them and see how far off your sights are.

Do dry draws for an hour and then get back to me.

Yes, the idea that one can switch directly back and forth with no loss of competence is silly. But so is the idea that there's no other option. Spend some time with the gun before you shoot a match with it and you'll be fine. It's not hard.

When I pick up the Glock for a match on a lark, after shooting an Open STI for the prior 20+ matches, I struggle with the sights, not the grip angle or trigger.

Edited by MoNsTeR

95% of my shooting is with a 2011 of some kind.

For me, the easiest transition is an M&P, which really sucks because my SIG allround is a LOT more accurate, but, then I would actually have to practice/dryfire to shoot it decent. :surprise:

Try that experiment again, except keep your eyes open and line up the sights... since that's how we actually shoot... well, most of us ;)