Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how many mags minimum for prod and limited

Bare Minimum:

4 for Production and 2 for limited. You'll probably want another mag in your back pocket especially for production.

I use 5 for production and 3 on the belt for limited.

A minimum of 4 and 2. I carry 7 and 4. The seventh is in my side pocket so that it can be used at the start, or the same side pocket for Limited. I generally just use the 3 on my belt, but if the stage really makes having 4 easier then I will start with the spare mag out of my pocket.

I use 5 for Limited 10, 1 loaded to start, and 4 on my belt. Now, that being said, I have never needed the 4th one on the belt, even with a bad round that has steel. :devil:

I use 5 (1 + 4 on the belt) in Production. 6 (1 + 5 on belt) is what I have setup on my Single Stack rig though I've not actually taken it out to a match yet.

Occasionally on a stage with a lot of steel or a distant star I'll toss an extra mag in my back pocket just in case. Never actually needed to pull it out, but its comforting having it there.

I use 6 for Production, 5 on the belt, and 4 in Limited, 3 on the belt. I don't recall ever using the 4th mag. I have gone to the 6th in Production when I have blown reloads. Recently had a stage that the rounds were, 4, 8, 4, 9, 6. If I did not have that 6th, it would have cost me a standing reload twice after the blown reload on the first array.

I have run 3 on the belt +1 in the gun in production so I would say that is the minimum I prefer 4+1 if the course looks like a may get in trouble I will stick an extra in my pocket

For limited I run 2+1 but rarely use the second mag from the belt.

Mike

5+1+1 in Production.

Five on the belt, one in the gun plus the barney mag covers just about all the stages I've seen. Occasionally a local club may set up a monster stage >32 rounds. Occasionally there will be empty gun starts. The fifth mag usually covers that. If I really think that there's a chance I'll need a sixth/seventh reload, I'll max out the barney mag and stick it in a back pocket after loading from it (I don't have the real estate for a sixth pouch in the standard position; I used to have a reversed, high mounted mag pouch in the small of my back, but it would occasionally hang up on a chair start).

Back in my Limited days, I had four on the belt.

Edited by kevin c

I like 5 on the belt for L10/Production, occasionally if the stage is a big one or has lots of steel then I'll use a 6th mag. main concern is losing a mag along the COF, not shooting like crap and needing extra ammo.

I carry four on my belt and start with one from my pocket in production. It is rare to ever use the forth one from my belt but that being said I plan to add at least one more. I shot a 30 round stage that was very revolver frindly but not so much for production. Three paper to the left, reload moving to the right, three more paper. Reload heading to a port on left with three paper, another port with three paper and finish at a low port with six steel.

I had to reload going to each location or do a standing reload. I dropped the last mag in the sand and had to pick it up and use it because all of my others were on the ground back through the course. Lucky for me the XDM ate it up but the mag was full of sand when I took it apart after the stage. If I run into another stage like this and drop a mag it can stay there.

I used to shoot hi capacity divisions in local matches and went to production class USPSA I was running 41 total rounds on a 32 round count stage doesn't allow for mag changes at the best places and I had to be sure and make my hits. I'm gonna add a mag holder possibly 2

Limited: mag in gun + 1 to get through a 32rnd stage (assume you get 16+ runds in your Lim mags) +1 to allow use of good reload points +1 in case you have to clear a mag problem or drop a mag during reloading = 3 on the belt. You can +1 for "just in case" for a total of 4 on the belt

Prod: mag in gun + 3 to get through a 32rnd stage +1 to allow use of good reload points +1 in case you have to clear a mag problem or drop a mag during reloading = 5 on the belt. You can +1 for "just in case" for a total of 6 on the belt

• 3 weeks later...

I use 5 for production and 4 for limited.. although I tend to only load up 3 for limited for stages that have multiple reloads or strings so I am not having to pick up between strings.