Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speak up or hold tongue when RO's use the wrong commands

in a local match. Many times the Ro's also play the other game as So's and get confused at the commands. I have noticed this every once in while.

Are you ready and shooter ready interchange.

in these kind of situations, should one speak up to the RO, or mind tongue?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I hear "The shooter indicates ready" I generally reply with "The shooter indicates the RO does NOT know proper range commands"

It is not popular but it does get most ROs to correct their script.

I generally correct them but I do recognize some of the more senior RO's learned their commands in the 1990's if not the 80's and it is hard to relearn the proper commands if you only use them 3 or 4 matches a year. Most have changed and many call the correct commands with only the occasional slip. I do not run into many that bring commands from other disciplines.

I personally don't care at all about the difference between 'are you ready' and 'shooter ready' or 'range is safe' and 'range is clear', especially if someone else is willing to pitch in with the RO duties so I don't have to do it all the time. I would prefer not to hear nonsense like 'shooter indicates ready' that has no place in either sport.

Before I was a "real" RO people would correct me, it was helpful. Every now and then I still slip up, and guys remind me. Usually smiling as they do so. I'm not offended in the least if they are not jerks about it...if they are, they just get handed the timer and I paste. Nothing wrong with friendly reminders.

It is always best to correct an RO using invalid range commands, every time it occurs. I prefer to voice the correction after they have completed the stage run. Interrupting the RO in the middle of running a shooter isn't the best course of action as it usually disrupts the shooter more than the RO.

As a shooter being run by the RO using the incorrect range commands, the only time I will voice my concern immediately is if they are keeping me from Making Ready. If an RO gives me a "Load it Up" or "Go Ahead" as a Make Ready command I will simply stand there until they give me the "Make Ready" command. If they are not getting the point of my inaction meaning that they are issuing the wrong range command, I will ask them "Make Ready?" then wait for them to repeat the command.

Edited by CHA-LEE

There are very solid reasons behind the specific range commands. For some shooters, it does not matter, for some, who are very routine oriented, it can mess them up.

If I have an RO giving wrong commands, can someone argue the course of fire has not started, or is not complete because the wrong command was issued? YES.

If you can't learn the proper commands, then don't RO. I have stepped out of the box, asked to be moved down and requested a different RO after a few times of an RO getting it wrong. There are PLENTY of things to do like keep score, brass tape, set steel, set-up early etc.

To be honest, nothing irks me more than the guy who shows up right on time to sign in, runs the clock, does not do anything BUT run the clock, uses wrong commands and then bolts the instant the last shot is fired on his squad.

To be honest, nothing irks me more than the guy who shows up right on time to sign in, runs the clock, does not do anything BUT run the clock, uses wrong commands and then bolts the instant the last shot is fired on his squad.

NO WAY!! You have some of those too? :roflol:

I think there is a big difference between an RO the wrong phrasing "Are you ready" vs "Shooter Ready" and an RO using completely inappropriate commands "Load it up". I know I learned one set of commands and when tired or rushed often will fall back to that set of phrasing vs the current set.

So to answer the question.... yes, say something. But temper what you say to the situation. If the phrasing is just wrong, be gentle. If the command is inappropriate, then be firm. And always if its above a Level 1 match. ROs should always use the correct current commands, even at level 1 matches. But we are only human.

And yes, I have been known to tell a friend as the last shooter on the last stage of a club match "Put bullets in the darn thing and lets shoot so we can go home".

I think there is a big difference between an RO the wrong phrasing "Are you ready" vs "Shooter Ready" and an RO using completely inappropriate commands "Load it up". I know I learned one set of commands and when tired or rushed often will fall back to that set of phrasing vs the current set.

So to answer the question.... yes, say something. But temper what you say to the situation. If the phrasing is just wrong, be gentle. If the command is inappropriate, then be firm. And always if its above a Level 1 match. ROs should always use the correct current commands, even at level 1 matches. But we are only human.

And yes, I have been known to tell a friend as the last shooter on the last stage of a club match "Put bullets in the darn thing and lets shoot so we can go home".

I love slide forward; I then slide forward as far as I can go until stopped. :devil: I have been known to hand out cards to RO's with bad commands, but that's just me.

Jay

I always make a point to issue the correct commands, but if issued the wrong ones I usually just let it go.

I even get some strange looks from some competitors who after a "Make Ready", they'll say "Ready.", but I still follow that up with "Are you ready?" which some look confused, but I still put it in since its part of the sequence.

I love slide forward; I then slide forward as far as I can go until stopped. :devil: I have been known to hand out cards to RO's with bad commands, but that's just me.

Jay

I still have your card from the course held in the blizzard in Harvard MA LOL. It is getting pretty worn though :goof:

When I first started, a local M or GM who had been an RO or CRO forever, used to use the line "fondle and make lethal". He knew the correct commands but had some fun with the shooters he knew real well.

I guess I don't understand the problem of "Confusing" old vs new range commands. The range commands are defined in the current USPSA rule book. You either choose to use current valid range commands, or choose to be lazy and not use or relearn the current range commands. In my eyes, if someone is too lazy to relearn the simple range commands why on earth would we trust them to RO? I have heard every excuse under the sun by congenital incorrect range command offenders. All of the excuses were BS and I tell them that to their face. I tell them that they need to keep current with RO requirements defined by the USPSA Rules or stop ROing. They can have just as much fun helping out with Brassing, Taping, and resetting steel if they feel that keeping current with the RO requirements is too much trouble.

I shoot with the same group of people every month, often 3x a month. They are my friends. The only people who use the correct USPSA commands are me and a CRO. We're the only 2 certified ROs. I've mentioned the lack of correct range commands once or twice over the years. It is not something I let bother me. Shooting with my friends is more important.

I shoot the same local matches every month and we have a few who never use the correct range commands. I will not let them RO when I am shooting and they know it now. I agree if you are to lazy to learn the proper range commands stay off of the timer.

I always make a point to issue the correct commands, but if issued the wrong ones I usually just let it go.

I even get some strange looks from some competitors who after a "Make Ready", they'll say "Ready.", but I still follow that up with "Are you ready?" which some look confused, but I still put it in since its part of the sequence.

Lol I do the same thing

Carniflex, I was at Fredericksburg, VA about a thousand years ago when Todd Jarrett himself told me to "Gas 'er up".

I shoot so many different disciplines with so many different protocols that I only care whether I understand the command or not. I surely wouldn't correct an RO for ending a command with a preposition and I'm frankly grateful that someone is willing to run the timer while I shoot. Arguing with the RO before you shoot is going to affect you a LOT more than it will affect him. Prompt him afterward if it upsets your mojo to hear the wrong words. Any RO would understand, I'm sure.

In the box, I'm relaxed and focused and as long as I (somehow) understand what he means, I wouldn't care if he uttered it in Chinese. I'm easy.

Mark

I had a guy at the biggest match in the state skip the "are you ready?" entirely. Went straight from make ready to standby. I corrected him, and he acted like I was being fussy. After all, all the GMs he usually shoots with prefer it that way. But he'd do it "just for me" (his words). Claimed to be a CRO but needs to look over the rule book a bit, I'd say.