Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best AR trigger

torrpd

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not that it is a bad trigger, but it is not for me and my shooting style.

That, I think is the key phrase in regards to pretty much every shooter/gun build. Everyone has thier own preference and shooting style. There are so many triggers and kits out there and variations that I dont think one can be crowned the best. If there was, then no one would be responding with so many opinions. My advice, try out different triggers at matches or at the range, figure out what trigger you feel will suit you (single stage, two stage, hybrid, etc.) and figure out what works best for you. Also, price sometimes doesn't matter.

Edited by KTKlaus

One guys opinion:

The best trigger I ever felt on an AR was an Accuracy Speaks trigger.

The most consistent triggers that I have seen and used have been JPs. I have relied on ( properly installed) JP for nearly a decade now.

Lots of good or even great shooters use the AR Gold. I could never warm up to them due to the dead reset.

I've had 2 Timneys fail well under 1000 rounds and seen MANY more fail. Hopefully they've improved.

Funny you should mention. I just installed an ALG for a buddy who doesn't compete and wanted a decent trigger, on a budget. With some JP springs it wasn't half bad! About 4lb, crisp break and felt pretty good. Drop in a JP adjustable safety to limit over travel and you've got a pretty decent trigger for about $120. Not sayin it's as good as a JP trigger, but if you don't mind a little more over travel, you can have the ALG and springs in your gun for around $65 shipped. So maybe not the best trigger overall, but might qualify as a best value.

I am new to ARs. Can you tell me which specific springs to use with an ALG?

I love my Geissele S3G, the short reset, the crisp break, and the light weight make it great for me in 3 gun.

Disclosure... The Geissele S3G is the only trigger I have ever shot that cost more than $100

To the best of my knowledge, the JP the only fully adjustable* trigger on the market? The fact that I can tune the trigger to my shooting style is the deciding factor for me on a competition gun.

More than likely, the only parts that would need to be replaced in any of the fire control groups mentioned would be the disconnector or the disconnector spring. That being said, can any of the drop in units be disassembled and repaired by the owner?

* pre travel, over travel and pull weight

Also, I think I've isolated the creep in my CMC. Creep is pretty much non-existent. I am almost to the point where I might like it even better than the JP or Wilson. The price is unbeatable and if the creep is really gone then it is a fantastic trigger.

Jerry Miculek, Kalani laker, Rustin Betnskoetter, Barry Dueck, Clint Upchurch along with a bunch of other top guys run the AR Gold trigger. I have it a shot and love it. It's

Very closely resembles my 2011 trigger weight and reset. Same take up as well.

My second choice is a JP.

Since Im fairly new to AR's and 3gun (one match), any trigger was better then the stock to me. With that said I got a good deal yesterday and traded for a Timney that I installed last night and today I dumped a mag through it to test it out. Way, way, way better and really helped on the double taps. I like it so far and is really like a bolt action now instead of the long notchy military trigger feel. Now I just need one for my R25 .308 I use for hunting.

Timney for now, but saving up for the Gold trigger :bow:

Edited by Mike Bell

My AR Gold was supposed to be here yesterday but thanks to the USPS sending it to the wrong post office and now the tracking says it's in another state for resort, I am hoping it finds it's way here in the next few days.

I bought a drop in trigger for my build, paid $209. It is fantastic

After that I did a lot of investigating online about tuning Mil-Spec trigger, bought the recommended springs and stones, took my time and followed the instructions. I then had a 3Gun friend of mine try them side-by-side and he chose my Mil-Spec over the expensive drop-in trigger.

Total time was about 90 minutes

Got my AR Gold trigger in yesterday and installed this morning. Almost didn't go out with the 90+ degree weather and 90% humidity but hey it's just a little sweat and after dry firing I was really wanting to shot the rifle LOL

Trigger was very simple to install and safety check. Broke very nicely. I am not a two stage trigger guy as I mentioned but this trigger has a very short and light first stage so it's like it's almost not there. Reset is super fast. Firing doubles is easy and fast.

The only thing I have found I am not thrilled with but it's not a deal breaker is that the safety is hard to put on. Well not hard but needs more force than other triggers. Just need to make completely sure the safety is definitely on when dumping the rifle in the barrel. I am not sure if this can be worked on or just the nature of the beast with the trigger's safety features. Any insight?

The only thing I have found I am not thrilled with but it's not a deal breaker is that the safety is hard to put on. Well not hard but needs more force than other triggers. Just need to make completely sure the safety is definitely on when dumping the rifle in the barrel. I am not sure if this can be worked on or just the nature of the beast with the trigger's safety features. Any insight?

Noveske short throw safety!

I have been running a new hyperfire this season and love it 2.5 pound pull and short reset. They also run my 22 upper when I switch them out. They are new but I think they are gonna catch on once more people get to try them

I am also running a Hyperfire trigger and love it. Have been running AR Gold and have had one that doubles. Hyperfire is about 2.5 pounds of pull and has the best reset on the market. I've run the Geissele, AR Gold, JP for years, and CMC. This new Hyperfire is the best I've had. Love the short reset for the long targets when shooting 3 gun. Take up is very clean and crisp. I recommend the 24E but they now have a flat trigger (24C) on the market. Great trigger for $190. Check them out on their website.

The Hiperfire triggers are interesting and I might try one in my other AR. Where are you finding them for $190? Website says 24 is $229, 24E is $279 and the 24C is $299.