Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brand New STI EDGE, is this what $2200 pays for?

Finbox

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP, it sounds like you were really looking forward to this gun. Sorry to hear that it let you down. I have experienced similar disappointments myself. And for me, at least once, it was more me than the gun. It was one of those "you should never meet your heroes" moments.

Hope everything works out.

The best way to fix an ST is to gut the factory gun and have a smilth re build it with better parts...SV's

Just sayn.....

Here's

my STI Eagle 5.0 :devil::devil:

What is that thing on the frame. That's the first time I have seen one, is that the *thumb rest [generic]* I hear talked about, and what does it do, help with the muzzle flip?

I have a chromed STI Edge, paid $2300.00 and also had a local gunsmith work on the pistol to make it work right. It runs great now, but still had to work on it. STI will make it good for you if you call them.

I'm looking at getting an Edge next year, or something on an STI frame. I don't think this thread will influence me to buy another brand, cause what other brand would you buy? On the other hand I do hate to see a thread like this, I have an STI Guardian and really like it when I do take it out to shoot it.

I went SVI when it came time to make a decision for Single Stack and that's largely because Roy Neal is a terrible influence. :) Seriously, I decided I would have at least one fully custom gun in the inventory. Some people buy motorcycles as part of their mid-life crisis. I went with a really nice 1911. That decision will mean I won't be shooting much of anything else down the road unless I win it at a match (Hello, random pistol drawings!) because I've pretty much put all of my eggs (cash) in this particular custom basket.

All that said, STI is a very fine choice and I would be very happy to have one (...did I mention how much I love random pistol drawings?). I've lost count of how many people at my local club are either using STI guns or guns that are build substantially from their parts. One of my shooting mentors has an Edge that runs great (and looks awesome...nifty red grip so I call it "The Crimson Edge") and the other one makes his STI Executive do amazing things for him. They both dig the STI Trojan when it comes to Single Stack.

I'm a 1911/2011 rookie so keep in mind that I don't know what I'm talking about when you read all of this. That said, it seems like if you purchase a custom pistol, it should come out of the box the way you like it. That's the whole idea of working with a gunsmith to build you something that meets your needs.

If you get a semi-custom pistol like an STI, it seems like you should just plan on an initial trip to a gunsmith to get the trigger where you want it and the gun tweaked so it runs the way you expect it to for your particular needs. Even better, just buy your STI from a quality gunsmith, communicate what you want out of it, and then you'll get that "ready to go out of the box experience" at a very reasonable price.

(Team: Please let me know if got this wrong)

Sti customer service is good to go. I bought a used edge off another forum and it had some things that needed to be repaired. they sent me a label without question and are taking care of it for me. cant beat that!

Has the OP ever updated this thread?

I had a Trojan that went back to STI four times then once again when the lugs cracked. STI did try and make things right. I ended up paying shipping and insurance--that got old pretty quickly.

Although, I just sold one of SV gun, I still have several. There is really no comparison. SV is a superior project.

Most people do not know, but SV does not sell parts to other gunsmiths. Sure there are some exceptions but for the most post SV makes it hard for gunsmiths to get their parts HENCE you see a lot of STI parts in guns. It is an availability issue.

If you think STI has good customer service, try SV/Infinity. It blows the doors off everyone else.

I had a Trojan that went back to STI four times then once again when the lugs cracked. STI did try and make things right. I ended up paying shipping and insurance--that got old pretty quickly.

Although, I just sold one of SV gun, I still have several. There is really no comparison. SV is a superior project.

Most people do not know, but SV does not sell parts to other gunsmiths. Sure there are some exceptions but for the most post SV makes it hard for gunsmiths to get their parts HENCE you see a lot of STI parts in guns. It is an availability issue.

If you think STI has good customer service, try SV/Infinity. It blows the doors off everyone else.

The subject of this thread is: "Brand New Edge, this is what $2,200 pays for?". He got a bad example of STI's usually decent work. I am sure they will make it right, but everyone who has chimed in saying that he should have gotten a SVI is comparing apples and oranges. I am not sure why everyone is comparing STI and SVI. They can't be compared in quality or price. I look at the classifieds about 40 times a day on average and I have been doing that for about a year and a half...not once have I seen a new SVI gun sell for $2,200.

I don't thank that anyone on these forums thinks that STI is superior to Infinity. However, people like myself buy an STI pistol because we can scrounge up $1,800 - $2,200 for a pistol and maybe another $300-$400 for magazines. When it is all said and done we are close to $3K when we can finally show up and play this awesome sport. To do the same thing with an SVI would be $4,000 - $6,000+ for just the gun? Add another $150+ per mag and you are talking at least two if not three times as much money to play the same game.

I like my Mazda 6, but I know a Mercedes S Class is a nicer car. Problem is, I cant afford an S Class, so I bought a Mazda and it gets me where I want without fail. My STI Eagle is the same way. It isn't as pretty as an SVI and it might not run as smooth, but if I want to play this game (and I do) then I have to go with a solid gun at the price I can afford.

My problem with this is that it turned into an STI bash and the OP never told us what STI did to fix the problem. Leaving it as an STI bash. You really cannot post a bash of a company on an open forum and then - never respond with what the final results were with fixing the problem. Just not cool!

My problem with this is that it turned into an STI bash and the OP never told us what STI did to fix the problem. Leaving it as an STI bash. You really cannot post a bash of a company on an open forum and then - never respond with what the final results were with fixing the problem. Just not cool!

I sent the OP a request to update this thread.

The subject of this thread is: "Brand New Edge, this is what $2,200 pays for?". He got a bad example of STI's usually decent work. I am sure they will make it right, but everyone who has chimed in saying that he should have gotten a SVI is comparing apples and oranges. I am not sure why everyone is comparing STI and SVI. They can't be compared in quality or price. I look at the classifieds about 40 times a day on average and I have been doing that for about a year and a half...not once have I seen a new SVI gun sell for $2,200.

I don't thank that anyone on these forums thinks that STI is superior to Infinity. However, people like myself buy an STI pistol because we can scrounge up $1,800 - $2,200 for a pistol and maybe another $300-$400 for magazines. When it is all said and done we are close to $3K when we can finally show up and play this awesome sport. To do the same thing with an SVI would be $4,000 - $6,000+ for just the gun? Add another $150+ per mag and you are talking at least two if not three times as much money to play the same game.

I like my Mazda 6, but I know a Mercedes S Class is a nicer car. Problem is, I cant afford an S Class, so I bought a Mazda and it gets me where I want without fail. My STI Eagle is the same way. It isn't as pretty as an SVI and it might not run as smooth, but if I want to play this game (and I do) then I have to go with a solid gun at the price I can afford.

Exactly this....i was thinking the same thing. plus you can get an sti now at just about any time. you have to wait almost up to or over a year for an svi/infinity. at least thats what i was told by infinity when i was looking to buy.

hopefully the op will respond to his own thread soon.

Guys sorry for the late reply.

STI sent the gun back and I talked to them on the phone, they said they " removed alot of metal from the chamber" and tightened the slide, all of the machining marks are still there. The trigger seems lighter as well.

After around 500 rounds there is play in the barrel to slide fit.

Gun shoots terrible with my 147gr load thats one ragged hole with my glock 35 with 9mm barrel. It shoots 2 1/2" 10 rpund groups with stock Federal 115g

I have never had to develop a load for a pistol before, I will try to get a tight shooting load when I have time.

I will run it for one year to see if I improve...if not it will be up for sale.

It was a lot of money and if I had to do it agian I would not.

Guys sorry for the late reply.

STI sent the gun back and I talked to them on the phone, they said they " removed alot of metal from the chamber" and tightened the slide, all of the machining marks are still there. The trigger seems lighter as well.

After around 500 rounds there is play in the barrel to slide fit.

Gun shoots terrible with my 147gr load thats one ragged hole with my glock 35 with 9mm barrel. It shoots 2 1/2" 10 rpund groups with stock Federal 115g

I have never had to develop a load for a pistol before, I will try to get a tight shooting load when I have time.

I will run it for one year to see if I improve...if not it will be up for sale.

It was a lot of money and if I had to do it agian I would not.

Great mews, now we can just sit back for twelve months and see how this all goes. Best of luck to you.