Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag pouches

Akacala

Just wondering what everyone uses for mag pouches. I've been using a double mag pouch from Blade tech for IDPA, but I'm looking at starting USPSA as well and will need room for more mags.

Edit: should have mentioned the gun in question is a 75 Shadow.

Edited by Akacala

I'm using the DAA Race Masters. The magazines release smoothly when you grab them yet are held tightly enough for handstands. No worries about leaving a trail of magazines. Tension is fully adjustable. They're definitely a buy-it-for-life item. I haven't tried the Racer, but it appears to offer 80% of the goodness for 50% of the cost. They appear to loose some mounting flexibility, but that's probably not an issue for shooting Production.

Both can be mounted at 90 degrees from the body if that's how you roll.

I use Ready Tactical mag pouches. They aren't listed as something he makes but I sent them an email to ask about it and they made me some. I used them in IDPA and USPSA Production.

I'm using the DAA Race Masters. The magazines release smoothly when you grab them yet are held tightly enough for handstands. No worries about leaving a trail of magazines. Tension is fully adjustable. They're definitely a buy-it-for-life item. I haven't tried the Racer, but it appears to offer 80% of the goodness for 50% of the cost. They appear to loose some mounting flexibility, but that's probably not an issue for shooting Production.

Be careful with mounting the Racers at 90*. The don't have the same attachment for 90* that they do for bullets forward. The belt attachment has a cog like attach point. The mag pouch has a cog like attach point on the side for bullets pointing forward method. The pouch is very secure with the cogs lining up. When you switch to 90*, the mag pouch is a smooth flat surface. You can still mount it, but there is no matching cog like surface so they have the tendency to rotate. I wanted to mount mine 90*, but because of this, I had to go back to bullets forward.

I'm looking to move over to the Ghost 360's because I've been told they are very solid and mount 90* with no issues.

I bought the Ghosts for my S&W M&P and now use them with a SP01 Shadow. The angle adjusts easily and securely. They also come with two holders each, one is normal and the other bullets facing out.

Be careful with mounting the Racers at 90*. The don't have the same attachment for 90* that they do for bullets forward. The belt attachment has a cog like attach point. The mag pouch has a cog like attach point on the side for bullets pointing forward method. The pouch is very secure with the cogs lining up. When you switch to 90*, the mag pouch is a smooth flat surface. You can still mount it, but there is no matching cog like surface so they have the tendency to rotate. I wanted to mount mine 90*, but because of this, I had to go back to bullets forward.

I'm looking to move over to the Ghost 360's because I've been told they are very solid and mount 90* with no issues.

Is this the same for the Racemasters as well or just the Racers?

No, the Racemasters have different mounting points. The sideways is a little different than the 90*, but if you mount 90*, it will remain secure. I had them for several months. I didn't like the Racemasters for two reasons: they were scraping the magazines ( the aluminum edges started gouging the mags ), plus when you have 5 of them on your belt ( Production ), it can get a little heavy.

I have the Race Masters and I don't like that it rubs metal on metal. The marks it leaves on mags are cosmetic and will just rub off but it still makes me thing the mag holder is slowly wearing out with each draw.

• 4 months later...

Just switched from CR Speed Versa to Ghost 360.

CR with Glock attachment needed to be adjusted all the time and I felt that the tension was a little too great for my first mag even at the loosest setting.

Ghost tension is not adjustable but magazine slides out very smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like the CR speed pouches. come with a range of inserts to fit almost any mag, and if you go single stack later on they also sell single stack inserts now too. I've never had to adjust tension with them using them with CZ shadow mags. once set-up the first time they have stayed fine for a number of years. They are my pick for the money. The DAA racer pouches are nice too and have a good tension system. I'd rate them about equal. the DAA racemasters are nice but I've no idea why anyone would actually prefer alloy pouches over plastic? they are heavier and they will wear your mag finish off much quicker...

it's also really easy to attach a magnet to your front CR speed pouch if you want to (and if the division you are in allows it). I run with 5 CR speed pouches on my belt with no problem.

I use Ready Tactical mag pouches. They aren't listed as something he makes but I sent them an email to ask about it and they made me some. I used them in IDPA and USPSA Production.

+1000 The ReadyTactical pouches are so often overlooked but they are great pouches. Simple, slick , take up less belt space and are cheaper than anything else. They are all I use in Production.

I use Racemasters in Open. They are awesome pouches but are overkill for Production.

• 2 months later...

This isn't true. That cog you're talking about pops out so you can place it on the rear of the pouch.

I am using the DAA Race Master pouches and really like them. When I shot Glocks I ran Kytac pouches and if the tension wasn't just right you get impromptu yard sales for magazines on CoF with lots of running.

DAA RMs have great retention but I have had an issue with occasionally catching the mag release hole on the corner of the RM when removing the mag at the wrong angle. I removed a bit of material from the inside of the pouch to eliminate this problem.

For 3 gun I recently got a CZ TS and got some Safariland 773 pouches sized for Glock magazines. They worked okay out of the box but I put a mag in and heated them up a but while in a vise to get them to the perfect width. Then I swapped out the stock rollers with some wider Lego wheels that just happened to be the exact right fit to contact the mags. You would have no idea that they weren't made for the CZ TS now.

• 7 months later...