Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So which 1911 mag should I go with?

JoseyWalesX

I just picked up a Trojan in .45 to shoot in SS a little bit and am having trouble deciding on mags. I would like to run the no gap Dawson magwell with the Dawson basepads. Alot of the SS shooters here use either Metalforms or CM Power Mags, what do you guys recommend? Thanks!

Not really familiar with Dawson magwell or basepads... so I may be going down the wrong path here. I usually use Tripp 7 rd flush fit and 8 rd extended mags. I like the Tripp "hybrid" followers quite a bit... put them in everything from CMC to Wilson/Rogers and Colt mags.

C

in .45 I run the Wilson 47D's they work better with the dawson since the pads are extended a bit. other than that the Tripp mags are great but you'll have to change the basepads out if you are running the No gap ice magwell.

+1 on all of the above. However with the Dawson Ice the stock basepads are a bit hard to seat, so you may need to get the dawson pads as well. That being said the other option I use is the Techwell TGO and love it also.

I have Wilson ETM and Tripp mags in the setup you are thinking about. Wilson's with no-gap pads function well. Using the factory setup, your mag changes must be friggin perfect every time or you will have lots of mags fail to seat, and lots of pain during matches. The Tripp mags with no-gap pads are a little longer and WAY easier to seat.

I dryfire with the Wilson's and run matches with Tripps.

If you go with the Wilson's, cut a bit off of the spring, makes life way easier. I will take pics of mine if you need them.

Save yourself the irritation and get the Tripps.

In .45 pretty much any mag will run. Other calibers that is not true. So, run whatever you like. I have Wilson 47d, Wilson ETM, Tripp cobra and STI. They all work

This pretty much. You can say I'm partial to the tripps though. If you have big mag well get the .45 system mags.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...