Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stoeger M3000 Scattergun?

Hotchkiss

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a video of one of our sponsored shooters demo-ing some loading techniques on the Stoeger. He is left handed but shoots right handed. Of special note, look at how he charges the shotgun while upside down at the end of the video. His Stoeger has a weld-extended shell release latch next to the trigger guard, which allows him to sweep it with his thumb AS HE RACKS THE BOLT! Many thanks to Jeremy VanSchoonhoven for recording his loading demonstration. Enjoy!

Edited by openclassterror

Jesse,

Yes its a lot bigger and polished smooth and the angle is changed a bit. you can load this way with the stock one but its much harder and will chew up your had a bit. also the mod on the trigger guard is a must otherwise your thumb will catch on it and its a sharp edge.

The way I came up with the idea was because some times quad loading I would not get the shell all the way in and it would drop back onto the lifter so to clear it I would rack and continue loading then I decided it was much faster to rack from that side and then me and my friend dave figured out to mod the lever and work on the trigger guard area. its super easy now and so fast.

Edited by JeremyV

Jesse,

Yes its a lot bigger and polished smooth and the angle is changed a bit. you can load this way with the stock one but its much harder and will chew up your had a bit. also the mod on the trigger guard is a must otherwise your thumb will catch on it and its a sharp edge.

The way I came up with the idea was because some times quad loading I would not get the shell all the way in and it would drop back onto the lifter so to clear it I would rack and continue loading then I decided it was much faster to rack from that side and then me and my friend dave figured out to mod the lever and work on the trigger guard area. its super easy now and soJeremy

Jeremy thanks for the video and I like the over sized shell release man, I may have to do that as well. ...... What up TOM!!! :)

Okay, what I thing is going on in that last load is this...

Empty gun start, bolt closed. Carrier release has not been tripped, so the carrier still moves and the bolt would not lock back if pulled. Double quad to put eight in the gun, but you still need to charge a round. Instead of rolling it while hitting the trigger (or carrier release), then having to reach across the gun with the weak hand to rack the bolt, he simply racks it weak hand upside down. The latch mod means he can basically mash his thumb into the frame to launch a shell while he is getting fingers on the bolt lever to rack that round into the chamber.

The time saved would seem to be that once he starts rolling the back up to his shoulder, the support hand goes straight to the forearm and doesn't have to do the second job of racking the bolt on a gun in motion. So, probably a small savings in time but also a very repeatable motion with very small fumble factor.

That means it really only comes into play for empty starts for weak-hand loaders.

Last night I picked up my new Stoeger from MOA. Tom, great job. Gun runs out of the box. 1 oz, 1145fps up to 1-1/8 1290fps loads, Estate, Remington, Fiocchi, and Fiocchi slugs. The slugs were shot in this order, the center slug of the 3 was shot at 25 yards, just to be sure where it would go, the next two touching were shot at 50 yards, aimpoint was about the center top of the orange target paster. the shot in the orange was held about three inches above the orange circle,

It will be a couple weeks to the next competition, but that will give me time to practice loading.

Tom, Thank you for the great gun!

post-2726-0-81248200-1408583812_thumb.jp

Grabbed a 24" M3000 last week (found it NIB on a forum) and put the first 120+rds through it today. It's my first semi, I've been wanting to get into 3-gun (currently shoot 2-gun), and I'm a sucker for a bargain so this fit the bill perfectly. Love it so far.

It ate up Walmart Fed, WWB, Estate 1oz, and 3" Win #4 like a champ. That 3" stuff was painful to shoot. It did however choke on Rio Target 1oz blue box. First it was FTE, then 50rd later it cycled but apparently not far enough back to reset the hammer. I'm thinking once I polish up the mag tube and run a few more rounds through it I may be able to get the Rio to cycle. I'm not too concerned about cycling Rio since I plan to shoot primarily Walmart Fed and estate.

Nordic +5 from MOA, oversized bolt release, polished mag tube, and opening up loading port are in the near future. It's easy to load but that port has some really hard edges.

This thread has been a big help, thanks all, especially MOA for offering M3000 specific parts!

Edited by jerzsubbie

I have been shooting 4 rounds of Skeet every Friday after work leading up to CA Action Shotgun Challenge in 2 weeks. Its a shotgun only match and I'm really looking forward to it. I've had 0 failures since I got it few months ago. I thought I had some failures when I had my 3 gun match but I:

-ran the tube dry

-didn't press the action release button on a loaded /empty chamber start

Bought a Nordic barrel clamp, Tru Glo sights for the match. I'll probably polish the mag tube and I'm good to go.

Yep. 24" barrel. So is it common for people to have to do large windage hold overs? Full size IPSC targets are one thing but small plates would screw me.

Accurate iron has a barrel/mag tube alignment tool that Kurt miler came up with. That might help. I bent my barrel in a tree. The last option is to test your gun with slugs and if it's bad buy a new gun and sell the old one to somebody that isn't shooting 3-gun with it.

Barrel clamp? That is usually the culprit if it is that far off on windage.

No barrel clamp.

And selling it would suck because not many people want a cut up shotgun and I could end up with the same problem.

I was shooting off a bench and someone said that might affect POI?

Edited by Will_M